New to the AMD club - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

New to the AMD club

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
New to the AMD club

Old man here that got bored during this **** storm of a pandemic and decided to go out of his comfort zone and learn something new. Bought a bunch of expensive computer components to put together his first AMD water cooling custom loop. After dealing with the fun of Amazon and the literal craziness of acquiring all the components and the lack of knowledge of all the damn fittings I am up and running with a beautiful non rainbow puke filled custom rig.

Ok thats a big intro to my questions as now that I have it running I want to learn how to extract the most bang out of her by tweaking the BIOS. The components I have

ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 X 32GB) DDR4 3200
2 X Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Raid 0 BOOT Via Front X4
2 X Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Raid 0 Storage Via DIMM.2
ROG Strix 2080Ti
**** ton of EK pretty stuff and a couple of 360 RAD's and 9 QL120 fans jammed in a InWin925

There is a ton of info out on the net (my head is spinning) but I am one of those guys that doesn't necessarily need to be spoon feed I just don't want to do damage learning. So I come to one of the most respected forums for just that. I look forward to learn from you seasoned veterans. Right now I have the system at the defaults and I think, THINK, I have the gen 4 drives setup in the bios correctly but not sure if they are at the max performance right now. I know the mem timings are not correct but when I just use the DCOP where is auto sets stuff I get BSOD so I know I need to learn what numbers to plug in and where. It runs perfectly with the defaults and I have not tweaked anything so I am looking for a tutorial on where to get started.

Thanks for the great site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Bueller... Bueller
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 05:51 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 147 (Unique: 125)
Well I would start off tweaking the memory, as it should give you the most performance improvement. See what is the highest FCLK you can get and then match your memory speed to it for a 1:1 ratio. After that tighten the timings, including all the secondary and tertiary timings. The Ryzen Dram calculator is a good place to start for timings after you figure out the max FCLK you can run.

The end goal being FCLK 1900, Memory 3800mhz, then tighten the timings. This will give you a 1:1 fclk/memclk and a nice performance boost.

As far as the cpu clocks go, I'd just mess around with pbo limits to see what gives you the best clocks/performance in your specific application. You can manual OC per ccx, and see if you can get each CCX to the highest possible clocks, but this will only be beneficial in highly multithreaded/all core workloads.

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD 3900X (1900 FCLK)
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
Zotac Nvidia GTX 1080 2088mhz/1081mv/XOC + Shunt
RAM
32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200CL14 @ 3800 Mhz 15-16-15-15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
Cooling
Custom Loop 3 x 240mm + 1x 480mm Rads
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by icehotshot; 06-24-2020 at 06:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by icehotshot View Post
Well I would start off tweaking the memory, as it should give you the most performance improvement. See what is the highest FCLK you can get and then match your memory speed to it for a 1:1 ratio. After that tighten the timings, including all the secondary and tertiary timings. The Ryzen Dram calculator is a good place to start for timings after you figure out the max FCLK you can run.

The end goal being FCLK 1900, Memory 3800mhz, then tighten the timings. This will give you a 1:1 fclk/memclk and a nice performance boost.

As far as the cpu clocks go, I'd just mess around with pbo limits to see what gives you the best clocks/performance in your specific application. You can manual OC per ccx, and see if you can get each CCX to the highest possible clocks, but this will only be beneficial in highly multithreaded/all core workloads.

What is the best stress test for FCLK in your experience?

Intel 8700K @ 5Ghz | XSPC Raystorm Pro RGB | Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 | 16Gb G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 | EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 w/ Hydrocopper Block | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX TG | Seasonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1Kw | Asus MG279Q

AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3Ghz | XSPC Raystorm | Asus PRIME X570-P | 16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600 | XFX RX 570 w/ Universal block | Crucial MX500 512GB | Lian-Li A05B | Seasonic GX-650 | Sony X900F 65"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 06:23 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 147 (Unique: 125)
Quote: Originally Posted by legcramp View Post
What is the best stress test for FCLK in your experience?
From my experience I've used memtest/aida64 stress test with only memory box checked/prime95 with the option that says "stresses memory" or something like that. You can do it at stock settings to ensure you're stable, then only increase the fclk and keep the memory at stock and repeat the test/tests.

Luckily for me, I haven't really had to worry about the stability of my fclk. I have all my voltages for the memory controller/fclk on stock, and if it boots it has been stable. All my instabilities came from the memory and having to mess with only the memory voltages and timings to get it stable. The DRAM calculator thread has some good info from the people that apparently had to mess with the memory controller/fclk voltages.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-a...ram-bench.html

The one thing to note for myself and I've seen a few others, is I needed to enable LN2 mode in bios to boot 1900 fclk and was able to do 1866 without it enabled.

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD 3900X (1900 FCLK)
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
Zotac Nvidia GTX 1080 2088mhz/1081mv/XOC + Shunt
RAM
32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200CL14 @ 3800 Mhz 15-16-15-15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3
Cooling
Custom Loop 3 x 240mm + 1x 480mm Rads
Case
Thermaltake Core X9
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in