Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming/(WiFi) thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming/(WiFi) thread

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming/(WiFi) thread

I didn't see a thread on these mobos yet, so I thought I will start one.

A simple no nonsense B550 board, a little expensive imho but it has a powerful VRM and had great results at OC 3D and Kitguru. I went with the version without WiFi as I have no need for WiFi.

Bios has a lot of sensors without names in HWINFO64, at least in the latest 0608 bios, if anyone find the VRM sensor in there it would be nice as that was the main complaint in the reviews. No sensor info for the VRM. Obviously it only gets lukewarm anyway, but for peace of mind. Hopefully that will be fixed in later bioses.

Product page:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...B550-F-GAMING/

I bought it for my second rig, mainly used as DAW, paired with cheap Micron D-die memory(edit. it was actually Hynix DJR as it turned out) and a GTX1660 Super. It will not be much gaming on this rig, but maybe some light gaming.

Initial impressions are favorable, updating to the latest bios using bios flashback was nice(a more common feature on the B550 boards, and a great one). I wired the reset button to CLR CMOS to be prepared for memory tuning, and it got used a couple of times before I found my initial setting of 3733MHz RAM with 1867MHz IF coupled mode using CL18. Micron D-die(Hynix DJR) won't even boot with tight timings, but it looks fairly OC:able so end results are ok even if not near Samsung B-Die. But it's half the price. Overall, after one day of tuning(of which a lot was getting my old Windows install working without quirks on the new mobo) it looks to be working well and the system feels snappy. Temps are great for the 3700X using a Corsair H150i Pro RGB, Cinebench R20 tops out at 72C and it's 28-30C in the room.

System:
AMD Ryzen R7 3700X
Corsair H150i Pro RGB
32GB Kingston HyperX RGB (Hynix DJR "D-die" "Davinci" on Micron 8-layer PCB)
Nvidia GTX1660 Super
Samsung 950Pro 256GB NVMe
Kingston A2000 1TB NVMe
assorted SSDs/HDDs
Cooler Master NR600 case (with mesh front)
Cooler Master V550S PSU 80 Plus Gold
Windows 10 Pro 2004 (19041)
using a USB audio interface, works fine as far as I can tell, no hearable artefacts in the sound and low latency is working (Steinberg UR22C)

A new PCIE 4.0 system drive with fairly large capacity will be in the future when prices have come down a bit(or, Samsung 980 Pro mmm). More exciting is popping in a Zen 3 without too much hassle in a few months.

With current settings(PBO on Auto, interesting is PPT/TDC/EDC defaults to 1000/1000/180 when everything is on Auto under PBO) :

Any thoughts on the Asus B550-F:s are welcome in this thread! Or the other one, if there already was a thread but I couldn't find one

edit. Here are as many sensors I could cram in one picture, after a while browsing the web in a very hot room. Powerplan is Windows High Performance and C-states are enabled:

My memory settings for Hynix DJR:

edit. regarding my used memory, I was reading Taiphoon Burner wrong, it is Micron PCB and it is D-die. So far correct. But the chips themselves are Hynix DJR which I missed, they are supposed to be high frequency chips and are used in G.Skill Trident Z Neo amongst others. So the relative easy mem OC may have it's explanation.

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xeizo; 07-01-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 07:30 AM
..HWLuxx..

Rep: 51 (Unique: 30)
Hey, thank you for the thread.

Are you interested in to test the ASPM feature? They added a new hidden ASPM option and i'm curious if it is working or if only the old one is working.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Reous View Post
Hey, thank you for the thread.

Are you interested in to test the ASPM feature? They added a new hidden ASPM option and i'm curious if it is working or if only the old one is working.
Hi Reous, sure I could test it, but what is it?

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:33 AM
..HWLuxx..

Rep: 51 (Unique: 30)
It reduce the power consumption for PCI-e devices. With my X570-E i can save 12W in idle and load. Do you have a watt meter or something to measure the power consumption?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
hi
is this B550 beter than the old B350/450 from Rog/Strix?
had both and they were awfull with memory and crap bios support
hope this one is better,
looking for a good B550
thanks for any help

Offical Ryzen 7 3700X Owner!
AZ
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Reous View Post
It reduce the power consumption for PCI-e devices. With my X570-E i can save 12W in idle and load. Do you have a watt meter or something to measure the power consumption?
I don't have any, I will check if I can find a cheap one at a general hardware store. Could always be good to have one! I'll be back at the matter when I've found the meter

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by darkage View Post
hi
is this B550 beter than the old B350/450 from Rog/Strix?
had both and they were awfull with memory and crap bios support
hope this one is better,
looking for a good B550
thanks for any help
It looks that way. It is basically the TUF X570-Plus but with B550 instead of X570 and without a fan of course. Only six SATA vs eight on the TUF, but memory OC seem like it's better with up to 5.1GHz in the specs. TUF is only 4.4. It's been reported the manufaturers have done some work on better memory traces on the PCB:s so in that case newer is better. 2.5GB Intel LAN is also a plus, and bios flashback is a killer feature for a tinkerer. Bios looks good, it's practically the same as in Crosshair VII and even with a few extra options. If you don't need the extra I/O of X570 it looks like a solid board imho and I also think the manufacturers now takes AMD more seriously than the last round.

Regarding sheer performance, my 3700X performs above average as far as I can see and getting 32GB Hynix DJR up to 3733MHz 1:1:1 was quite easy. Biggest competitor in my opinion("attractive for me") is the MSI X570 Unify, but that board is 100€ more expensive where I live so even if B550 is expensive vs B450 it gives a little more and is still cheaper than X570. Also, I don't need the extra features of the X570 Unify and from what I can see OC will be just as good on the Asus B550-F.

edit. regarding my used memory, I was reading Taiphoon Burner wrong, it is Micron PCB and it is D-die. So far correct. But the chips themselves are Hynix DJR which I missed, they are supposed to be high frequency chips and are used in G.Skill Trident Z Neo amongst others. So the relative easy mem OC may have it's explanation.

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xeizo; 07-01-2020 at 07:54 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
It looks that way. It is basically the TUF X570-Plus but with B550 instead of X570 and without a fan of course. Only six SATA vs eight on the TUF, but memory OC seem like it's better with up to 5.1GHz in the specs. TUF is only 4.4. It's been reported the manufaturers have done some work on better memory traces on the PCB:s so in that case newer is better. 2.5GB Intel LAN is also a plus, and bios flashback is a killer feature for a tinkerer. Bios looks good, it's practically the same as in Crosshair VII and even with a few extra options. If you don't need the extra I/O of X570 it looks like a solid board imho and I also think the manufacturers now takes AMD more seriously than the last round.

Regarding sheer performance, my 3700X performs above average as far as I can see and getting 32GB Micron D-Die up to 3733MHz 1:1:1 was quite easy. Biggest competitor in my opinion("attractive for me") is the MSI X570 Unify, but that board is 100€ more expensive where I live so even if B550 is expensive vs B450 it gives a little more and is still cheaper than X570. Also, I don't need the extra features of the X570 Unify and from what I can see OC will be just as good on the Asus B550-F.
thanks
i have a CHVII and was looking at the unify, but as a ROG man for so many years wopuld like to keep rog at home
had bad experience with the B series from asus, will make a try with this one i think, just dont need wi fi version
best regards

Offical Ryzen 7 3700X Owner!
AZ
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Some scores with -0.05V offset on the 3700X (PBO on auto, no manual settings). AMD Ryzen Balanced Powerplan this time.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2746310

Not above 70C in CB R20 is impressive!

Trimmed mem a little with a pair of subtimings

It's nowhere as fast as my B-die, but then, half the price.

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xeizo; 06-30-2020 at 04:33 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Looks fine with 1900MHz IF and 3800MHz memory! (PBO, still on Auto). Very happy with this board, it does what I tell it.

Still have CCX OC to explore, that feature is killer on my C7H/3900X, it will be fun to explore with this board too.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/2763816

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by xeizo; 07-01-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in