3800XT and ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3800XT and ASUS Prime X370-Pro

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SouthpawJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Rep: 0
3800XT and ASUS Prime X370-Pro

I'm currently on a ASUS Prime X370-Pro with the bios version 5220 and a 1600x. Will the 3800XT be able to run on the ASUS Prime X370-Pro??
SouthpawJoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:47 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
rdr09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: From the US but lives in Africa
Posts: 20,048
Rep: 894 (Unique: 644)
It should. Got an R5 3600 on a B350F Strix using 5401.

By Built-in Benchmark Queen:
My 2.5 years old delidded 7980xe @ 4600mhz all core with 49ns memorylatency (4000c16 twekaed) is faster than 3950x max overclocked on water in every scenario. Pretty good for a ancient cpu
In gaming it has no chance vs my new 10900k @ 5400mhz and 4600c16 tweaked memory. ~35ns memorylatency.
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
2700
Motherboard
470
GPU
5700
RAM
3466/14
Hard Drive
1000
Power Supply
700
Case
212
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
55/2160
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
rdr09 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SouthpawJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Rep: 0
That got me thinking, for strictly gaming (1080p) and the 3800xt.

AMD Ryzen 3800xt
Asus Prime X370
GSkill 3000 16gig
RTX 2070 super

vs

AMD Ryzen 3700x
Asus Prime x570 P
GSkill 3600 32gig
RTX 2070 super

Would a faster clock speed CPU like the 3800xt (4.7 boost clock) out perform a 3700x with faster ram and a newer motherboard?
SouthpawJoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:23 AM
R2D2C4Z9
 
D1namis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 138
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by SouthpawJoe View Post
Would a faster clock speed CPU like the 3800xt (4.7 boost clock) out perform a 3700x with faster ram and a newer motherboard?
Only in cinebench, in real world application 32gig @ 3600 > 16 gig @ 3000 if timings are comparable.
D1namis is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:49 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
xeizo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 410
Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Memory is a bottleneck for Ryzen, at a certain point higher clockspeed does nothing for fps. Memory speed does.

Main rig(of five)
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard
Asus X470 Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
MSI RTX2070 Super Gaming
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus
Power Supply
Corsair RM850x
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
Case
NZXT H700 Black
Operating System
Windows 10 2004 Pro
Audio
Motu M2
▲ hide details ▲
xeizo is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:59 AM
Overclock the World
 
Veii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Austria / Bulgaria
Posts: 1,699
Rep: 136 (Unique: 70)
Quote: Originally Posted by SouthpawJoe View Post
That got me thinking, for strictly gaming (1080p) and the 3800xt.

AMD Ryzen 3800xt
Asus Prime X370
GSkill 3000 16gig
RTX 2070 super

vs

AMD Ryzen 3700x
Asus Prime x570 P
GSkill 3600 32gig
RTX 2070 super

Would a faster clock speed CPU like the 3800xt (4.7 boost clock) out perform a 3700x with faster ram and a newer motherboard?
Why not meet at the middle point
Where are you located, which type of fiat

B450/B550 are also options - just the bios version is important and the board should at least be capable to run a 2700X
This pretty much guarantees you a VRM setup that holds up 200~ Watt
A boosting 3800XT can get near 140-160W, soo B350 boards are out, except for the tomahawk
X370 most of them where bad too , including the one Prime you mentioned , just a bad VRM setup
Although an X570 Board would bring you pretty much nothing , unless you need this PCIe 4.0 and chipset 4.0 for something exotic
Like additional capture-cards, more NVMe's and similar

As there are good X370's , soo are also bad B550s
Let us know the expected spending , your location & we'll figure the balance out
Also yes, 3600MT/s does a big difference, but what makes a bigger one - is manual work on the timings
Referring you to this video
it's a bit old, but pretty much reflects the changes you want to see
XMP keep in mind is Intel Xtreme Memory Profile - these timings are not a definition of stability nor speed
They are just rated for the Intel Platform and can lead you to a subtle bit of knowledge of what memory you might get
Overall , they are not interesting for you ~ only what is inside, where also low end 3000MT/s rated kits can hit 3800MT/s at reasonable timings

Oh if you end up being a streamer, you might want to try importing a Renoir CPU from somewhere
The APU inside will help you, and these have no issues with >4000 MT/s memory ~ simply by being the new architecture
While the XT units are just more powerhungry and better binned sillicon Matisse units (3rd gen Matisse not Renoir)

SiSandra Inter-Core Bandwith 14nm Ryzen global #1 | Twitter
Personal Records
RAM > Viper Steel @ 3466C14 (64.2ns) & Alt | Hynix-MFR 3333CL14 (72.5ns) & Alt

GPU > Gigabyte 970 G1 @ 1595|1900 (Hynix) | RX 580 Red Devil GS @ 1620|2200 (Micron)
CPU > TR 1950X [email protected]1.2v & [email protected]1.365v[105Mhz FSB](3.23Beta)
#Main: 1700X [email protected]1.365v1.73Ghz IMC CL14 (64.2ns)」+ Dark Rock 3 | X370 Taichi 1.0.0.3 ABBA by The Stilt | Viper Steel [PVS416G400C9K]| Gigabyte 970 G1 | Samsung 850 Evo
Veii is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SouthpawJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by Veii View Post
Why not meet at the middle point
Where are you located, which type of fiat

B450/B550 are also options - just the bios version is important and the board should at least be capable to run a 2700X
This pretty much guarantees you a VRM setup that holds up 200~ Watt
A boosting 3800XT can get near 140-160W, soo B350 boards are out, except for the tomahawk
X370 most of them where bad too , including the one Prime you mentioned , just a bad VRM setup
Although an X570 Board would bring you pretty much nothing , unless you need this PCIe 4.0 and chipset 4.0 for something exotic
Like additional capture-cards, more NVMe's and similar

As there are good X370's , soo are also bad B550s
Let us know the expected spending , your location & we'll figure the balance out
Also yes, 3600MT/s does a big difference, but what makes a bigger one - is manual work on the timings
Referring you to this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OkOLzRPxY
it's a bit old, but pretty much reflects the changes you want to see
XMP keep in mind is Intel Xtreme Memory Profile - these timings are not a definition of stability nor speed
They are just rated for the Intel Platform and can lead you to a subtle bit of knowledge of what memory you might get
Overall , they are not interesting for you ~ only what is inside, where also low end 3000MT/s rated kits can hit 3800MT/s at reasonable timings

Oh if you end up being a streamer, you might want to try importing a Renoir CPU from somewhere
The APU inside will help you, and these have no issues with >4000 MT/s memory ~ simply by being the new architecture
While the XT units are just more powerhungry and better binned sillicon Matisse units (3rd gen Matisse not Renoir)
I'm im in the united states and don't really want to spend more around $500 atm. So the thinking was just trying to get the most for around that price to go with what I already have. Pretty sure the 3800xt and a decent heatsink (Noctua NH-U12A) is around $500 or so. That turbo of 4.7ghz is prime since all i'm doing is gaming.

Its pretty much agreed upon from everyone that getting a x570 board, new ram and cpu would not justify the gain vs the price. So just going to get the 3800xt and put it in this board. Should be a nice bump in performance coming from a 1600x lol.
SouthpawJoe is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
SouthpawJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by xeizo View Post
Memory is a bottleneck for Ryzen, at a certain point higher clockspeed does nothing for fps. Memory speed does.
This is why i'm aiming to get the 3800xt for that 4.7ghz boost clock and 3.9ghz base clock. I'm on a 1600x so hoping the big jump in clock speed I hit that cap then I could aim for a better board and ram later on down the road.
SouthpawJoe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off