Running Unsupported CPU on B550 (1st gen 1700) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Running Unsupported CPU on B550 (1st gen 1700)

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
R2D2C4Z9

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Running Unsupported CPU on B550 (1st gen 1700)

Sooooo...

Well it's not a secret that you can do that, but there is pros and cons. So i want to spit my thoughts on that.

Currently i'm running Asus TUF-GAMING-B550M-PLUS
It was shipped with pre-released BIOS: Version 0320
But i'm successfully updated it too: Version 0608 — basically because it was confirmed that this version support old CPU for sure, but probably you can go higher.
XMP — Enabled, SVM — Enabled. No overclocking, no fancy settings like BGS etc, even my VGA is only PCIe3.0 so may be there is some incompatibility issues.
Right now it's look stable but i will log the progress, didn't have huge problems when i tried to play Quake Champions for quite some time and running Prime95. :>

I'm actually quite enjoyed the board over all.

PROS:
B550 is actually a huge VRM upgrade compared to b350/x370, also 2,5G lan and other features.
Gen skipping???

CONS:
Windows deactivation. Got it... F*** and server don't respond. UPD: Got it working.
Chipset driver — i tried fresh version and version from Asus site(one version back pretty much), both failed to install. "Device not found error" — so basically CPU validation problem. But i have "Ryzen power plan" already in system and it's kinda working from my previous installation. And currently i have no idea how to trick the installer or should i do it or not — didn't go deep in messing with that. But i will dig it with my face, on my next AMD driver FRESH install, because this S**** deleting entire an entire folder with chipset and VGA drivers!

My overall opinion on "unsupported backwards comparability":
I don't like it from repair reason stand of point. Also it's kind strange, Ryzen is basically SoC, PCIe and DRAM have very strict operation standards, so it's kinda hard to say why AMD going this road. But there might be something that i don't know. Overall B550 very mature platform and i quite like it.

UPD:

Got couple of full schedule working days with quite complicated workload: compiling code, working with virtual machines, a little bit of games. Stable.
Pretty much every Windows drivers works perfectly with this setup where i can't install chipset all in one driver pack, but i got strange behavior with sound, so i installed Asus driver from site and it's fixed entire thing with "sound device not responding". Boost clocks are not as high compared to my x370 board experience but strangely i got more performance and more stable FPS in games. 3750mhz max boost @ x370 vs 3700mhz now @ b550.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cpuz.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	362826  

Last edited by D1namis; 07-31-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 09:37 PM

Rep: 18 (Unique: 17)
Thanks for sharing this. I’m also looking for more info if my 1700 can run on any other B550/X570 MB. Does anyone else have experience running 1st gen Ryzen on the new chipsets? What other MB would work?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter
R2D2C4Z9

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by sydefekt View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I’m also looking for more info if my 1700 can run on any other B550/X570 MB. Does anyone else have experience running 1st gen Ryzen on the new chipsets? What other MB would work?
It's looks like almost every B550 board. So MSI and Asrock as well have boards that capable of running older Gens.

I found it by queering twitter: https://twitter.com/search?q=B550&src=typed_query

Tags
b550 , unsupported cpu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in