Asus TUF Gaming B550M Plus Wifi Memory OC support - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Asus TUF Gaming B550M Plus Wifi Memory OC support

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 3)
Asus TUF Gaming B550M Plus Wifi Memory OC support

Hi everyone,

Been awhile, and really enjoying playing with the Ryzen platform as of late. Working on a build for a relative, and decided on upgradability sake to go with a B550 board, and due to regional availability picked the asus tuf gaming for the mATX board. Saw another thread regarding using prior gen CPUs in this platform (3400G), and I've done the same.

Originally was going for a low end price point, so only got 8GB of ram at 3200Mhz. Worked great as XMP with the 2 4GB sticks - no issue.

Although I knew the vega 11 used the shared RAM, I forgot it literally carved it for itself. Realizing my error I bought another set of 2 4GB sticks, but this time XMP/DOCP caused stability issues at both 3200 and 3000. I was able to manually push the ram to 2800, but thereafter won't POST.

Setup:
Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming B550M Plus Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 4 3400G (no OC planned)
Memory: KINGSTON 4GB / 3200MHZ DDR-4 HYPERX FURY BLACK Timing (CL): 16.0
iGPU only

What I also noticed is in Ryzen master, the ECD(CPU) seems to be pegged at 94% of the 95Amps, which I guess is a result of setting the 2800Mhz manually and leaving the rest to auto. Any recommendations and insight here is welcome.

So hoping someone can point me to some good memory OC tips to help bring my 4 x 4GB set back to 3200 or at least close given how dependent on the 3400G is on memory speed. My guess is some timing and DRAM voltage tweaks are in order, but not 100% sure with the new terminology, differences from Intel, and ECD.

My alternative is to abandon the lower price point and simply buy 2 8GB sticks, but that's no fun.

EDIT: Learned that my sticks come with different manufacturing dates & manufacturer (all are P/N: KHX3200C16D4/4GX) if that makes a difference.

Slot 1: Micron Tech - 25 / 20
Slot 2: Micron Tech - 25 / 20
Slot 3: SK Hynix - 23 / 20
Slot 4: SK Hynix - 23 / 20

Ironically I was sold sticks in slots 2 & 4 together and then 1 & 3 as "kits".

EDIT2: Just noticed the DRAM Calculator tool & materials in the general AMD thread.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-a...ram-bench.html
So will review those details and come back with any questions.

Cheers all,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200725043129.gif
Views:	9
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	363052  

Attached Images

Last edited by ped5; 07-30-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Found supportive thread in separate category.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 06:28 AM
R2D2C4Z9

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
In CPUz info: you are basically using pre-released BIOS, you can update it, there are MEMORY optimization and stability issues fixed, also new AGESA so it's kinda a must for custom overclocking RAM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by D1namis View Post
In CPUz info: you are basically using pre-released BIOS, you can update it, there are MEMORY optimization and stability issues fixed, also new AGESA so it's kinda a must for custom overclocking RAM.
Good insight, thanks much. Was hesitating to do so as I thought it would obliterate the Zen+ support, but I think I saw that others had successfully updated their ROM without issues. Will do that next.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:55 AM
R2D2C4Z9

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by ped5 View Post
Good insight, thanks much. Was hesitating to do so as I thought it would obliterate the Zen+ support, but I think I saw that others had successfully updated their ROM without issues. Will do that next.

Cheers
Soooooo up to Version 0608 it's save and up to Version 0803 probably also i just didn't tried it yet as i focused on stability check. Something might change as new APU's will arrive.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well Updated my bios to rev 0803, then to 0805 (CPU still works ). Tried the 3000/3200 XMP profiles for the heck of it.
Tried moving the ram banks so they were manufacturer / date match.
Tried the timings from the DRAM calculator but it's a bit hit or miss given with the different memory types and dram pcb revs I could do different timings.
Realized that my board has max 1.35V DRAM unless there's a setting to release it.

No dice.

Not even sure what screen caps to share, or if I keep working the DRAM calculator advanced or not. Appreciate some perspective from anyone on what to try next.

EDIT: Doing another round with DRAM calculator a few observations.
There is a wealth of information, but there are several motherboard options that are not mentioned. Assume the rest stay as "auto", correct?
Are all the settings critical to performance, or is there a heirarchy to which settings make a larger impact.

For my situation.
Seems the different manufacturers of the chips, kill any chance to OC this beyond the 2800MHz.
Importing the XMP profiles from Thaiphoon the ns counts are identical (per specs I imagine for the manufacturer), however changing the manufacturer changes all timings as I guess it relates to the silicon of the chips. In this situation, does it make sense to use the lowest common denominator - but no idea what that means. Take the highest numbers between the two? I assume there are dependencies that doing that makes the timing mismatch? I've already picked one (not mixing) and tried it to no effect - aka cannot get past POST.
Finally since my board (or Zen+ chip) doesn't allow to push the DRAM Voltage beyond 1.35 (which I thought with the better VRMs in B550 was a guarantee) is disappointing, which is probably more the limiting factor than anything.
Perhaps it's simply a case of the Zen+ not handling 4 sticks well? So perhaps outside the exploratory capability, should just bite the bullet and buy the 2 sticks of 8GB as I should have done in the first place and be done with it. I wouldn't have cared as much but as the APU / Infinity Fabric is so sensitive to RAM speed, makes enough of an impact that will stick to the back of my mind if I do nothing.

Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DRAM_calc_Kingston-Hynix_manual_safe_3200_anotated.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	363226  

Name:	DRAM_calc_Kingston-MicronT_manual_safe_3200_anotated.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	363228  

Last edited by ped5; 07-31-2020 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Added observations on DRAM calc / 4 DIMMs with OC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok, I've made some decisions, after doing more research.

First I put the original Hynix sticks back in to get the XMP 3200Hz. Realized that thaiphoon's order was A1, B1, and A2, B2 which meant the original sticks I got were the Hynix and they were paired together, and I got the Micron Tech pair on the second batch. So after I realized this, I paired them correctly, with the Micron Tech shelved for the time being.
The Hynix was CRJ (not AFR) as I originally thought as I didn't recognize the part No being the die type, and it said the DRAM revision was unknown in the report. Learned I need to check the "read" first and not jump to the "report" for just generating the XMP profile exports.

Considering this, the B-die of the Micron Tech is comparable or worse? I've seen CRJ/C-die comparisons with Samsung B-die, so just going off a guess here.

Since I'm using this rig primarily for wcg/folding, the 3200Mhz speed is more relevant than the capacity, so opting for the 2 sticks only for a total of 8GB for now.

My next goal is to get the timings as tight as I can, despite my disappointment in not figuring out yet if I can push the DRAM voltage past 1.35V on this board or not. It has 4 + 2 phases, so I thought this was odd.
Then thereafter see how low I can push the SOC/CPU voltages down to help keep it cooler so I don't lose the consistent 4.0GHz while crunching (without PBO for now).

Watched a few of the videos in the DRAM calc thread, and will go back to the LTT one again talking how to drop CPU/SOC voltages until they stop running and push it back up again. Anyone with experience in doing this? I also liked the Harbor Unboxed idea of changing DRAM timings one at a time and rebooting to see if it posts each time. Anyone use that technique or recommend another?

Finally yes, learned if not listed for a RAM setting, leave as auto for the DRAM calc.

Cheers for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DRAM_calc_Kingston-Hynix_CRJ_corrrected_3200_8GB.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	363726  

Attached Images

Last edited by ped5; 08-02-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in