B350PRO4 1500x to 3600 CPU upgrade then flash back BIOS? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

B350PRO4 1500x to 3600 CPU upgrade then flash back BIOS?

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
French loving Japan!

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
B350PRO4 1500x to 3600 CPU upgrade then flash back BIOS?

Hello

I posted this on the ASROCK forum but could not get much help there so hoping the community here could advise me.

I have the possibility to get a 3000series CPU relatively cheap so I am tempted to upgrade from my 1500X current one.

2 things I would like to clarify so looking for assistance.

I am currently on BIOS 5.40 on my B350 PRO4 MB and planning to upgrade to 5.80 which is the 1st one on ASROCK support homepage to capture 3000series CPU

Then I see these 2 comments there that I am not quite sure about

1) VGA drivers

I have a VEGA 64 GPU, do I need to install this VGA driver anyway, is that really a must?

* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.

2) BIOS flash back to older version

Is there a way to flash back again to before 5.80 BIOS version if for example I decide to sell my MB and 1500X as 2nd hand combo? It says there on ASROCK support homepage that it can not be reverted but I found that MSI or ASUS BIOS downgrade can be done with some specific tool, is such tool not available for ASROCK MB as well?

*** If the current BIOS version is older than P5.40, please update BIOS to P5.40(PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.6) before updating this version.
**** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

Thanks so much

Olivier

PC GAMING AEROCOOL P7 C1 WHITE VERSION CPU RYZEN 5 [email protected] 4Ghz/1.45V CPU cooler ID COOLING FROSTFLOW+ SNOW EDITION MB ASROCK B350 PRO4 GPU VEGA64 LC 1700Mhz Core 1190Mhz VRAM RAM CORSAIR LPX 16Gb @ 3066Mhz WINDOWS 10 PRO NVME PATRIOT BOOT DRIVE

Last edited by nolive721; 07-30-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 AM
R2D2C4Z9

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by nolive721 View Post
* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
It's Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1 — quite an old driver actually... I'm pretty sure that most users are running a lot later version.
Any way, i think it's like a double precaution:
Any clean install of AMD Adrenaline driver killing the AMD chipset driver(as well as an entire folder for AMD software products, ***?) and Ryzen power plan AND RAID DRIVER's AS WELL!!!, that some times triggers bad system behavior, but it's actually recoverable. (for the most part!)
So, you update AMD VGA driver then chipset driver to a latest, and then flash bios for a smoothest experience.

P/S Lisa fix pls!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 11:15 AM
Overclocking Enthusiast

Rep: 289 (Unique: 227)
The 1500x might still work with the latest bios.

Rikka
(9 items)
CPU
Intel I5-7600k
Motherboard
Asrock Z270M Extreme 4
GPU
Titan X
RAM
Gskill Royal
Hard Drive
970 Evo
Hard Drive
Optane 900p
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Snow
Case
enthoo evolv matx tempered glass
Operating System
windows 10 pro
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
French loving Japan!

Quote: Originally Posted by ozlay View Post
The 1500x might still work with the latest bios.
Thanks. This is the concern it might work but if it doesnt then i am kind of screwed if i want to sell the MB and CPU as combo.
Do you know about this BIOS flash tool that would also work on ASROCK MB to revert to BIOS compatible with Gen1 Ryzen chips?

PC GAMING AEROCOOL P7 C1 WHITE VERSION CPU RYZEN 5 [email protected] 4Ghz/1.45V CPU cooler ID COOLING FROSTFLOW+ SNOW EDITION MB ASROCK B350 PRO4 GPU VEGA64 LC 1700Mhz Core 1190Mhz VRAM RAM CORSAIR LPX 16Gb @ 3066Mhz WINDOWS 10 PRO NVME PATRIOT BOOT DRIVE

Last edited by nolive721; 07-31-2020 at 12:55 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
French loving Japan!

Quote: Originally Posted by D1namis View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by nolive721 View Post
It's Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.1.1 — quite an old driver actually... I'm pretty sure that most users are running a lot later version.
Any way, i think it's like a double precaution:
Any clean install of AMD Adrenaline driver killing the AMD chipset driver(as well as an entire folder for AMD software products, ***?) and Ryzen power plan AND RAID DRIVER's AS WELL!!!, that some times triggers bad system behavior, but it's actually recoverable. (for the most part!)
So, you update AMD VGA driver then chipset driver to a latest, and then flash bios for a smoothest experience.

P/S Lisa fix pls!
thanks very clear on that now!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
French loving Japan!

Since the 3600 will be delivered today i decided to upgrade bios with 1500x still on
Was freaking out because the PC would not post whatever i tried.not reaching bios screen even, nothing to display

Decided to unplug all my monitors switch off power and let it like that since it was close to 1am

Woke up this morning switched PC power back on and started it then bingo posted and reached windows!

Got a BOSD though with memory error but it could be because of my Ram OC needed resetting parameters in this new Bios i guess

Anyway result is no need to look for BIOS downgrade now i hope

Also very excited to get the 3600 on and push it as much as the MB can and I believe i am getting an improvement on RAM OC as well since i hear the 3000series have better IMC

It would be nice to reach the rated 3200mhz of my RAM and a bit further

Update I had to redo my CPU OC as well because it wa sno stable in the 1st place but it seems the 1500X runs now stable at frequency before I did this BIOS upgrade so I am really comfortable now

Last edited by nolive721; 08-02-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in