CPU spread spectrum? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

CPU spread spectrum?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 116 (Unique: 87)
What is it? And also what is PCI spread spectrum?

devil.gif " Time not important,only life is important " Mondoshawan, Fifth Element
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 676 (Unique: 522)
Disable all the spread spectrum's; I believe they are to mitigate EM interference.

If you live at very high altitudes then it might be useful, but for most folks it doesn't matter in the least bit.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 06:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 89)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Disable all the spread spectrum's; I believe they are to mitigate EM interference.

If you live at very high altitudes then it might be useful, but for most folks it doesn't matter in the least bit.
Woah, does it have any relation?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 116 (Unique: 87)
ok then, i guess

devil.gif " Time not important,only life is important " Mondoshawan, Fifth Element
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 121 (Unique: 96)
the spread spectrum truned on elimnate EMI, Electro Magnetic Interferance. Which can Make your processor Frequncy spike from the Magnetic Wave lengths. EMI can affect the CPU Freq. kind of like a really quick rev up for your CPU frequncy. it will make it go from 3.0HGz to anything that will make your PC lock up. So if you are palgued by EMI then keep in on. but that's only in a Very unusual circumstance.

It's bad for overclocking so turn it off.

Just like the "Auto Disable PCI Frequency" option. PCI frequency can cause mild EMI effects as well. So when "Enbled" it will turn Off UNUSED PCI slots that could cause EMI. Lessening the chance of that adversly affecting your OCing....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman;6717784 
the spread spectrum truned on elimnate EMI, Electro Magnetic Interferance. Which can Make your processor Frequncy spike from the Magnetic Wave lengths. EMI can affect the CPU Freq. kind of like a really quick rev up for your CPU frequncy. it will make it go from 3.0HGz to anything that will make your PC lock up. So if you are palgued by EMI then keep in on. but that's only in a Very unusual circumstance.

It's bad for overclocking so turn it off.

Just like the "Auto Disable PCI Frequency" option. PCI frequency can cause mild EMI effects as well. So when "Enbled" it will turn Off UNUSED PCI slots that could cause EMI. Lessening the chance of that adversly affecting your OCing....

I realize this is a stupid question. but why is it bad for overclocking exactly?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrinn;12379483 
I realize this is a stupid question. but why is it bad for overclocking exactly?

Because with overclocking, you do not want what your processor to register non- anomalous signals as anomalous (errors). The reason behind this is that you do not need your processor to register signals which are within a super strict range of amplitude when overclocking. The only reason it's there is so the computer doesn't register interference from its surrounding i.e. EM interference. With overclocking, unless you live above very powerful powerlines or you're in high radio traffic area, it's to your advantage to turn it off. You actually want that filter (Spread Spectrum) to be slightly loose so that any signal that would have been considered anomalous will no longer be, and thus will be registered by the processor. Which ultimately reduces the chance of experiencing a BSOD biggrin.gif!

Btw, definitely not a stupid question wink.gif

InF3Rnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbix666 go_quote.gif
Lead fortifies your internal organs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkuatic go_quote.gif
Prebuilts are for the lesser man, or the lazy rich.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
by default i have "CPU spread spectrum" and "PCIE spread spectrum" set to auto, but i'm only doing some slight to mild OCing so should i leave it on auto or disable altogether or will it make that big of a difference?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in