New to Overclocking - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New to Overclocking

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I'm new to OC. How do I OC a XP 2600+ with a MSI 6590 KT4 Ultra "FISR" Motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
Read my post here for the basics of overclocking. And google is your friend. Now your CPU is either a barton or a tbred B. If it's a barton your stock voltage is 1.65v. You can use WCPUID to find out what you have as well.

Now your board does not have the PCI bus locked. So you must be careful w/ your FSB. Your board has a 1/3, 1/4. and 1/5 PCI divider (at least I don't think there's a 1/6 divider at 200mhz and higher). From 100-132mhz FSB your divider will be set to 1/3; from 133-165mhz it will be set at 1/4; from 166+ your divider is 1/5. Now you do not want your PCI bus running above let's say 38-39 max. So so let's say you wanna try out 150mhz of FSB. 150mhz x (1/4) = 37.5mhz for the PCI bus. So you don't want to be "just" under one of the divider changing points. Calculate to make sure your not to high.

The main reason you don't want your PCI bus running to high is because your harddrive uses your PCI bus. When it's set too high, your HDD can become corrupted and you'll have the joy of reinstalling everything and possibly losing all your files depending on which partition the files are on, and what got corrupted. When I had an old KT266 mobo, this happened to me, I think I was at 41mhz on the PCI bus. Now I have an nforce2 chipset mobo, and the PCI bus stays at 33mhz no matter what! I dunno why VIA can't do the same thing!

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 10:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 1)
That's some great info DeathONator. That's also what I've been doing, googling information about the whys and hows of OC'ing. There's a whole wealth of information out there on the net on the basics of overclocking, from the "dummy's version" to the highly technical version. It just takes a bit of research and patience to find the info that suits you best. But to find just the right settings for your particular hardware is another story because just about everyone's system (the combination of cpu/mobo/memory/gpu/cooling/bios versions/etc.) is unique. My advice, read everything you can get your hands on and then, you'll just have to take the plunge and see what works and what doesn't. And have some patience! It'll pay off at the end. Ideally you'll want the best balance of performance and stability from your system. That's my opinion. Well, back to my side of the forum.. hehe..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...guide+tutorial

ABIT IC7-G Max2 moboIntel P4 2.8C cooled by Thermalright SP-94 & 92mm PanafloCrucial PC3200 DDR (512mb x 2)ATI Radeon 9800pro cooled by Arctic Cooling VGA SilencerSeagate SATA Barracuda 120gb x 2 raid 0 stripeCoolermaster Wavemaster caseSamsung 172x 17" LCD (true 12ms response time)XP Home SP1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 02:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
Quote:

The main reason you don't want your PCI bus running to high is because your harddrive uses your PCI bus. When it's set too high, your HDD can become corrupted and you'll have the joy of reinstalling everything and possibly losing all your files depending on which partition the files are on, and what got corrupted.
This happened to me after my first OC experience, i had some corrupt files in some of my programs, thanks for letting me know what was the problem. I had to reinstall a couple of them like norton.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
i think the biggerst thing to remember is that this isnt a switch flip and you got a 21312312 dollar processor....

I'm the hawt sauce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in