Phenom II x2 560 Q's - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Phenom II x2 560 Q's

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 62)

Hey Guys,

I recently bought my niece a P-II 560 with a free bundled motherboard (link below)

GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G (4+1 Power Phase?)

Now I went for a cheap case with a bundled 350w no name psu which was bundled with the case she wants.

Now I will upgrade it along the way, we had a deal that I'll be upgrading her rig with a new PSU, CPU Cooler and GPU IF and that's a big IF she passes her exams on the high-school she wants (She wants to get into MIT for robotics and there's only 1 high-school that can guarantee her entrance into it AFAIK in her state).

Right now her rig has the following stuff inside:

Phenom II 560 Dual Core

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P

Patriot Sector 5 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Logisys Case + 350w PSU

OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

Pioneer DVD R/W

As per our deal these are the following items I'll be upgrading her with:

Scythe Shuriken 2

Power Color HD 6570

Antec Earthwatts 380D

I'm an enthusiast so I rarely...and I mean RARELY pick out low end equipment for myself and clients and I'm new to this low end buying/building stuff. She's only 13 BTW and after I shown her how to assemble and explained to her the various functions of the parts. Took us a good 8 hours to build it and the next day I dis-assembled it and told her to rebuild it and explain to me what all the parts are for and she assembled it in less than an hour and took her 30 minutes to explain the parts.

I'm torn between getting her a new motherboard or not and she's not going to overclock or unlock the CPU so...my questions are the following:

1.) Will her current motherboard keep up with the processor?

2.) Will her PSU be enough for her usage? Documents / Programming / Web Surfing / Blu-Ray and DVD Watching / 1080p web videos

Thanks for the help in advance guys. I really want to help and support her as much as possible in achieving her dreams and aspirations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramComplex View Post

Hey Guys,

I recently bought my niece a P-II 560 with a free bundled motherboard (link below)

GA-78LMT-S2P Socket AM3+ 760G (4+1 Power Phase?)

Now I went for a cheap case with a bundled 350w no name psu which was bundled with the case she wants.

Now I will upgrade it along the way, we had a deal that I'll be upgrading her rig with a new PSU, CPU Cooler and GPU IF and that's a big IF she passes her exams on the high-school she wants (She wants to get into MIT for robotics and there's only 1 high-school that can guarantee her entrance into it AFAIK in her state).

Right now her rig has the following stuff inside:
Phenom II 560 Dual Core
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
Patriot Sector 5 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Logisys Case + 350w PSU
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
Pioneer DVD R/W

As per our deal these are the following items I'll be upgrading her with:
Scythe Shuriken 2
Power Color HD 6570
Antec Earthwatts 380D

I'm an enthusiast so I rarely...and I mean RARELY pick out low end equipment for myself and clients and I'm new to this low end buying/building stuff. She's only 13 BTW and after I shown her how to assemble and explained to her the various functions of the parts. Took us a good 8 hours to build it and the next day I dis-assembled it and told her to rebuild it and explain to me what all the parts are for and she assembled it in less than an hour and took her 30 minutes to explain the parts.

I'm torn between getting her a new motherboard or not and she's not going to overclock or unlock the CPU so...my questions are the following:

1.) Will her current motherboard keep up with the processor?
2.) Will her PSU be enough for her usage? Documents / Programming / Web Surfing / Blu-Ray and DVD Watching / 1080p web videos

Thanks for the help in advance guys. I really want to help and support her as much as possible in achieving her dreams and aspirations.

Looks like the S2P is rev 3.1 and has a 4+1 phase setup. It'll run the X2 just fine, without a hitch. You may even consider unlocking it into a quad, since the board is rated to run that as well. The PSU will do just fine for the parts that you mentioned, as long as the system is not OC'd and pushed. PSU's are a very integral part of the system, i suggest you upgrade to a quality one like the Earthwatts soon. Generic PSUs usually never deliver the rated wattage and are of inferior-quality internal parts and efficiency. 8GB of memory is overkill BTW.
I wish your niece all the best for the future thumb.gif
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkX 1 View Post

Looks like the S2P is rev 3.1 and has a 4+1 phase setup. It'll run the X2 just fine, without a hitch. You may even consider unlocking it into a quad, since the board is rated to run that as well. The PSU will do just fine for the parts that you mentioned, as long as the system is not OC'd and pushed. PSU's are a very integral part of the system, i suggest you upgrade to a quality one like the Earthwatts soon. Generic PSUs usually never deliver the rated wattage and are of inferior-quality internal parts and efficiency.
I wish your niece all the best for the future thumb.gif

Yeah I kinda knew that was coming that I needed to get her that PSU ASAP.

I'm afraid that the bare MOSFETs will give when under load...that's why I'm considering changing her mobo...then again I could always teach her how to put heatsinks on the fets...

Thanks for the reply and the best wishes...I appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 12)
That system will take on anything she may need it for, my only concern in the HD playback on that GPU. Really don't know enough about low end radeon's to say it's a bad choice but might not be able to push out that 1080p. Like I said though I really don't know enough about it to say for sure. Also like said above grab that earthwatts asap and unlocking the cpu yourself wouldn't be a bad idea.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramComplex View Post

Yeah I kinda knew that was coming that I needed to get her that PSU ASAP.

I'm afraid that the bare MOSFETs will give when under load...that's why I'm considering changing her mobo...then again I could always teach her how to put heatsinks on the fets...

Thanks for the reply and the best wishes...I appreciate it.

That board will run the X2, absolutely OC'd and pushed, without any trouble. If you plan on unlocking the chip into a quad, you can run it on a moderate OC without any trouble. If you plan to push it considerably, then look into cooling for the 'fets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goharder View Post

That system will take on anything she may need it for, my only concern in the HD playback on that GPU. Really don't know enough about low end radeon's to say it's a bad choice but might not be able to push out that 1080p. Like I said though I really don't know enough about it to say for sure. Also like said above grab that earthwatts asap and unlocking the cpu yourself wouldn't be a bad idea.

The 6570 will handle 1080P playback and casual gaming just fine.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
wow your niece sounds like one of those cool girls. I just can't get my sister into computers at all. Its really disappointing rolleyes.gif That 6570 should handle 1080p just fine, i think a 6550 can without any problems. Gaming would be the concern, as even a 5450 can handle 1080p playback.

Teh siggage (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankThis

Commencing operation Separation.

Primary objective: Save my keister

I will make a 50/50 solution of cat water and Vitamin E skin cream to produce a lubricating substance which I will rub on my behind. Then I will commence to lubricate the handle of my sacrificed tooth brush which I plan to use as a pry bar. I will use iTunes and my HD 555s to keep my mind off the task at hand. Once the majority of a cheek is separated I will use a section of a cardboard box from a mini fridge as a spatula.

I'm really nervous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrillian
That was the punch line!
I suppose they could peel his face off and glue it to his ass... biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac
I am not a pod mad.gif
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Z0R View Post

wow your niece sounds like one of those cool girls. I just can't get my sister into computers at all. Its really disappointing rolleyes.gif That 6570 should handle 1080p just fine, i think a 6550 can without any problems. Gaming would be the concern, as even a 5450 can handle 1080p playback.

My sister (40+) is just getting into the hang of things, got her a netbook last last last year, now she's got a damn tablet with a Tegra II CPU...ARGH!!! I'm sooo jelly...

Moderate low end games for her won't be a problem right? Like flash games...I hope it won't.

Aight...I guess that clears out all of my concerns.

Thanks again guys! +reps

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 1027 (Unique: 750)

Whether it'll keep up I'm not sure as while this 4+1 phase VRM system uses quality parts, it has lower transistor capacity compared to other systems and reaches its limit when you OC a 125W (i.e. this processor as a quad) processor and push it too far (some have reported this happening at 1.45V); however, it does shut down when reaching this limit (i.e. over-current protection) so you are safe.  Ensure that the VRMs are well cooled (cooler = more amperage capacity) and you could push further.  I don't really recommend overclocking without VRM cooling anyway.

Trash the Logisys 350W PSU though.  I had a Logisys 480W (which, going by the 12V rail voltage, was really more of a 200W) that couldn't power a basic PC with an Athlon II x2/880G graphics safely (12V rails exceeded spec at 12.6V); I replaced it with an Antec EA380 Green 80+ that I got on the cheap.  Logiys PSUs are generally not built for modern PC needs.

Circumstances forced me to go inactive back in 2014. I guess I'm back for 2016, but won't be active much! Cheers!
Forum Rules (TOS) - Professionalism Initiative - News & info | New members - Marketplace
Good reads | VRM & MOSFET info - AMD VRM database - What unlocks? - CPU/NB/RAM multipliers chart

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

Whether it'll keep up I'm not sure as while this 4+1 phase VRM system uses quality parts, it has lower transistor capacity compared to other systems and reaches its limit when you OC a 125W (i.e. this processor as a quad) processor and push it too far (some have reported this happening at 1.45V); however, it does shut down when reaching this limit (i.e. over-current protection) so you are safe.  Ensure that the VRMs are well cooled (cooler = more amperage capacity) and you could push further.  I don't really recommend overclocking without VRM cooling anyway.

Trash the Logisys 350W PSU though.  I had a Logisys 480W (which, going by the 12V rail voltage, was really more of a 200W) that couldn't power a basic PC with an Athlon II x2/880G graphics safely (12V rails exceeded spec at 12.6V); I replaced it with an Antec EA380 Green 80+ that I got on the cheap.  Logiys PSUs are generally not built for modern PC needs.

Yeap, I knew xd would respond if the question related to VRMs and MOSFET cooling LOL! But yeah I followed your advice before in my 880GM-UD2H to add additional sinks on the fets with a small fan directed to it. Got my Athlon II x4 630 pushed to 3.8ghz on water and 3.5ghz on air with my mugen 2 rev.b. She won't be doing any kind of OC at this point w/c I'm REALLY not comfortable with being a member of OCN LOL! So yeah she won't be unlocking and OCing anytime soon...unless she joins OCN (w/c I recommended her to).

But yeah I sent her the specs of the Earthwatts 380D and the cash for her to buy it. I think she's getting it with her dad next week.

Thanks again xd!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in