why do I have a slow transfer rate - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

why do I have a slow transfer rate

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
When trying to transfer files between my home server and my main rig the transfer rate is 16 Kb/s tops why is this. Both my rig and the server are respectable computers. both with quad cores and 4 gbs ram. The server is running the latest windows home server. they are connected with a cat 5 through a Net Gear router.
What am I doing wrong.

"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 44)
well, your connection weither its internet or usb or something, is gunna make a huge difference, also, your cpus are gunna make a difference

also your read/write on your hdds are gunna make a difference.

Quote:
And I'll Be A Crash Landing, Who Can Change The Landscape By Talking, And When I Begin To Stutter, The Land Will Be Shaking.... And God Will Be Clapping
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Adclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 129)
I highly doubt Cpu will make much of a differance, as my home server rig uses win xp a 900mhz Celeron M, yep a celeron M and 2 laptop drives. and i still see 90mb/sec transfers across the network, it is likely a problem with your router or congestion somewhere.

Click For Awesome (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule go_quote.gif

Me and my roommates watched a standalone video of a guy demonstrating it on YouTube. I lost it when he started stroking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen00 go_quote.gif

I like robo-butts and I can not lie, microchips with a great wave line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi go_quote.gif

I honestly don't think there's any way to explain it without it sounding weird or one's imagination taking a ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_van go_quote.gif

I can't even remember the last time I grounded myself before handling stuff.
Unless it's the middle of the winter and I'm moonwalking across my carpet in socks before tearing a PC apart I'm not worried about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liranan go_quote.gif

A laptop is still a PC, albeit a portable one. You can tell how many laptops there are by looking at the 1366*768. Most people don't play...biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Okay we can officially rule out that it is not the computer. Can you give me the model number of your Netgear Router?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux007 View Post

Okay we can officially rule out that it is not the computer. Can you give me the model number of your Netgear Router?

I put the link in the op.
it is Wnr 2000v2

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

"Overclocking is like a drug addiction, the difference is we go broke improving our brain cells instead of destroying them!"

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Okay the best thing to do first would be to troubleshoot your router. Try doing a factory reset. Go to your Windows OS and delete the current shared network and setup a new one.Also turn your firewall off on your home server for just a few minutes and check the transfer speeds.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Okay the best thing to do first would be to troubleshoot your router. Try doing a factory reset. Go to your Windows OS and delete the current shared network and setup a new one.Also turn your firewall off on your home server for just a few minutes and check the transfer speeds.

earlier today I redid the shared network. I get off work at 1am today so I wont be able to try your suggestion tell tomorrow. thanks for the help
Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 40)
Something tells me the nics are running at 10mbps lol

Might wanna check, if you transfer a lot of data over network LAN, it's not a bad idea to invest in gigabit network.

The computers are probably gigabit capable just not the router.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

haro
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

So Tried turning the firewall off for a moment and it still was extremely slow. Anyone one else have any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in