AMD 2013/2014 the next big changes. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

AMD 2013/2014 the next big changes.

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Reasons im trying to wait for 2014 before i start a new rig.
Correct me if any of these have changed.
Pcie 3.0 - 2013
Ram over 3GHZ more widely spread
DDR4 - 2014
Steamroller CPU 28nm -Late 2013
Excavator cpu 18 or 22nm - 2015??

Sata 12Gbs - 2014
Cheaper& better ssd's
Ensure my pc will be far more powerfull than the next gen consoles.

I know intel has some of this and are closer to getting the rest sooner, i just prefer AMD.

I'm really tempted by the steamroller rumours, but im going to want Pcie 3.0 to have an equally as good GPU upgrade. So a completely new rig is on my mind.

Corsair 900d
Excavator CPU
H110 cooler
DDR4 ram
12Gbps SSD
HD8XXX GPGPU
Asus ROG Motherboard
1000W psu

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 81 (Unique: 69)
At the rate AMD is going, their future gen processors will not be all that. If any. Pcie 3.0 - intel already has.
I doubt excavator will be near an 18nm process as AMD are still running 32 nm with their latest line. Intel is at 22nm already.
APU won't be better than CPU with a discrete gpu. Your PC will be better than next gen consoles because the next xbox is going to have a 6670 as it's GPU...
I don't mean to be rude, but there really isn't any reason to prefer AMD. Price to performance means so little now with the release of PD compared to Intel. Intel are just far superior when it comes to CPU manufacturing. The only advantage AMD has is in the APU market.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davayy View Post

At the rate AMD is going, their future gen processors will not be all that. If any. Pcie 3.0 - intel already has.
I doubt excavator will be near an 18nm process as AMD are still running 32 nm with their latest line. Intel is at 22nm already.
APU won't be better than CPU with a discrete gpu. Your PC will be better than next gen consoles because the next xbox is going to have a 6670 as it's GPU...
I don't mean to be rude, but there really isn't any reason to prefer AMD. Price to performance means so little now with the release of PD compared to Intel. Intel are just far superior when it comes to CPU manufacturing. The only advantage AMD has is in the APU market.

Realy?.... 6670? Oh dear.
Your absolutely right intel are way better. I have nothing to base my preference on other than i just like AMD. Ha. Im hoping amd consentrate on 18nm OR smaller and using their strength in GPU design to create an incredable apu for desktop.
If they fail at that... i will looking into the next big thing for intel in 2014.
For now im an AMD follower.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTernalPulse View Post

Realy?.... 6670? Oh dear.
Your absolutely right intel are way better. I have nothing to base my preference on other than i just like AMD. Ha. Im hoping amd consentrate on 18nm OR smaller and using their strength in GPU design to create an incredable apu for desktop.
If they fail at that... i will looking into the next big thing for intel in 2014.
For now im an AMD follower.
Fair enough, my advice: Jump ship.
Anyway, good luck! thumb.gif

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 232 (Unique: 176)
Loyalty to either company seems silly. Why would you not want to just buy the best CPU for your needs when you find yourself in the market for a new computer?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

Loyalty to either company seems silly. Why would you not want to just buy the best CPU for your needs when you find yourself in the market for a new computer?

I have no logic to use. Just preference. I'll consider all the cpu models out with the most cores available. Common Software should be designed for multiple core and ssd use in the coming 2 year. More cores the better.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 52)
Quote:

I have no logic to use. Just preference. I'll consider all the cpu models out with the most cores available. Common Software should be designed for multiple core and ssd use in the coming 2 year. More cores the better.

You can still use a AMD GPU even if you go Intel I like AMD too. I'm going back to red when the HD 8000 series comes out after how underwhelming the GTX 600 series has been so far.

Yep
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Not necessarily. AMD 6 cores are worse than Intel 4 cores.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 148 (Unique: 126)
I can't wait for the HD8xxxx series. They will be monsters at overclocking.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 87 (Unique: 71)
IMO, as long as the igpu on the APU's get stronger, at this rate, it will be the standard for gaming. the apus already Rival the upcoming consols, and if AMD's aggressive pricing is still in play, a slim build solely on an basics(Apu, micro atx case, micro atx mobo, ram, hard drive) will drive a very basic gaming system. at a low cost.

at the essence, as long as amd's apus are on track, consoles will either:

A) sell hardware at a loss(Nintendo's style)
B) Adopt APU as standard
C) have to price consoles at higher price to make up for graphical power necessity that a handful of console gamers want

Also, I think that if the standard changes quickly, then console graphics will become better quality, which leads to less bad console to pc ports, then everyone's happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in