VRM on the new AM4 motherboards - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

VRM on the new AM4 motherboards

post #31 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshih View Post

Hi Guys

just saw this article accidentally .

I have no plan to build X370 OC formula for AM4 so far , AMD's binary source code limited lots possibility of overclocking .

But X370 Taichi is good for cpu clocking and 24/7 for sure .

X299 Oc formula will be next target .

Thank you very much for the info. Looking forward to the X299 boards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:58 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 909 (Unique: 591)
Quote:

Hi Guys

just saw this article accidentally .

I have no plan to build X370 OC formula for AM4 so far , AMD's binary source code limited lots possibility of overclocking .

But X370 Taichi is good for cpu clocking and 24/7 for sure .

X299 Oc formula will be next target .

Can you provide insight into the X370 Taichi VRM? Asrock's site is vague, it lists DSM, 60A chokes and IR PWM (as well as ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine II and 300W EX OC).

Is it on par / better / worse than that of the X370 Crosshair VI Hero that is so darn popular?

If there's no X370 OC Formula then the Asrock X370 Taichi based on X370 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming which is the flagships will be the best VRM AsRock has to offer, am I right?

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #33 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Can you provide insight into the X370 Taichi VRM? Asrock's site is vague, it lists DSM, 60A chokes and IR PWM (as well as ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine II and 300W EX OC).

Is it on par / better / worse than that of the X370 Crosshair VI Hero that is so darn popular?

If there's no X370 OC Formula then the Asrock X370 Taichi based on X370 Fatal1ty Pro Gaming which is the flagships will be the best VRM AsRock has to offer, am I right?

When I was shopping boards, as best as I could tell the Taichi was identical with the Fatal1ty in this regard. I would of gone with it instead of the C6H if it had the AM3 cooler support out of the box but it doesn't. The Taichi, Fatal1ty PG, and C6H where the only 3 boards that made my first draft selection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote:

VRM on Taichi is true 12+4 phases.
TI Dual-N Mos is very strong and trustable.
I will say the Taichi has the best power delivery design in the market so far, especially for Ryzen. You can reach over 200 watts after overclcoking cpu on aircooling.

Fatality pro gaming is expensive than Taichi bcz of cost up by 5G lan. VRM design is the same as Taichi.
post #35 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
So actually both share the same power circuit? true 12+4 phases...
Just some added components like the 5G lan make it more expensive
post #36 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLegendary View Post

So actually both share the same power circuit? true 12+4 phases...
Just some added components like the 5G lan make it more expensive

Yes. Same pcb with different features for users.
post #37 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 02:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
Not impressed.

When x79 boards were released, both Intel and MSI boards were using high quality renesas DrMOS from day one, all of them, with VRMs consisting of at least 6 phases just for the CPU cores (excluding the memory controller phases).
Even when Gigabyte messed up, they went with high quality International Rectifier FETs and fixed their mess.

When x99 boards were released, again some companies released boards with high quality IR FETs, or Fairchild DrMOS at reasonable prices.

With Ryzen boards, so far you are expected to pay a large premium to get a board with high quality, powerful VRM. Relatively cheap boards I saw had up to 6 phases for the cores and the memory controller, plus 3 phases max for the integrated GPU... that are not used on the processors released so far.

Considering the common instances of catastrophic failures on motherboard VRMs for previous high end AMD processors, you would think that manufacturers would no longer cheap out on VRM quality and quantity. Well... they did.
post #38 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 10:57 AM
⤷ αC

Rep: 909 (Unique: 591)
Quote:

VRM on Taichi is true 12+4 phases.
TI Dual-N Mos is very strong and trustable.
I will say the Taichi has the best power delivery design in the market so far, especially for Ryzen. You can reach over 200 watts after overclcoking cpu on aircooling.

Fatality pro gaming is expensive than Taichi bcz of cost up by 5G lan. VRM design is the same as Taichi.

By 12+4 true phases you mean that it has 6+2 doubled by IR3598 , IR3599 or some other frequency divider as on the Intel OC Formula boards?

If you can affirm that it is the same VRM as on the Z170 OC Formula and Z270 Formula (basically tried and true since Z77/Z87/Z97) it would net AsRock many more buyers of the board since the CH VI Hero is plagued with BIOS issues according to early reports, although oddly enough the ASUS X370-Pro does not nearly have as many complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyM4n View Post

Not impressed.

When x79 boards were released, both Intel and MSI boards were using high quality renesas DrMOS from day one, all of them, with VRMs consisting of at least 6 phases just for the CPU cores (excluding the memory controller phases).
Even when Gigabyte messed up, they went with high quality International Rectifier FETs and fixed their mess.

When x99 boards were released, again some companies released boards with high quality IR FETs, or Fairchild DrMOS at reasonable prices.

With Ryzen boards, so far you are expected to pay a large premium to get a board with high quality, powerful VRM. Relatively cheap boards I saw had up to 6 phases for the cores and the memory controller, plus 3 phases max for the integrated GPU... that are not used on the processors released so far.

Considering the common instances of catastrophic failures on motherboard VRMs for previous high end AMD processors, you would think that manufacturers would no longer cheap out on VRM quality and quantity. Well... they did.

Many of the cheap boards are using 4+3 or 6+3 for the phase count. The first portion is for CPU, second portion is for SOC not memory

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #39 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 24 (Unique: 21)
Quote:

Many of the cheap boards are using 4+3 or 6+3 for the phase count. The first portion is for CPU, second portion is for SOC not memory

Read again what I previously wrote.
post #40 of 3603 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
I'm thinking about getting the Taichi, but I'm just wondering what CPU to pair with it. Have ordered the 1700x but is there much point - should i just go with the 1700?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in