Is my motherboard going bad? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Is my motherboard going bad?

post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Is my motherboard going bad?

I have been having an issue with my computer just randomly freezing. At first the issue would resolve itself after a few reboots which was strange but then it went away.

Issue 1: When booting the computer, I would get to the login screen or completely log in, the computer would then black screen, then it would come back to my last picture, then just completely black screen and the monitors would go to sleep but the computer would stay on so I would have to force power down by holding the power button for 7~ seconds or so. I would reboot, and it would happen again, I would force shutdown by power button, cycle the on/off on the back, try to power it back up and then it wouldn't happen again till maybe the next day or sometime that week. Even when booted in safe mode it was happening.

Fix 1?: I figured the graphics card was going bad from what was happening so I completely wiped the drivers clean and reinstalled them. The problem still was happening. I contacted Nvidia and they had me pretty much run the same process to wipe the drivers clean again and reinstall them but I still had issues a while later but very randomly. Eventually, I swapped the graphics card to a new slot and all the issues went away so I chalked it up to a failing port on the motherboard.

Issue two: Couple months later, I started to see the same signs of the black screening while just doing random things and it happened more than five or so times, got fed up, switched ports on the motherboard, issue went away.

Issue three: Two weeks later, completely booted up, randomly doing something, screen is completely freezing, picture still on though so no black screen at all, just completely frozen with what I was doing last. The first time it happened today, the screens were still functional and moving like things were still working but my peripherals went out, no mouse movement and no control alt delete command, around about 10-30 seconds, the computer just completely rebooted itself. I got myself fully logged back in, about 3 minutes later, screens completely frozen this time, no movement or anything and it hasn't rebooted itself at all.

I am completely at a loss on this one and could use some help. I have tested the memory, swapped them, checked all the connections and re-seated everything.

The only other thing that I can think of lately that happened that was super weird is that during one boot, I had a fan spin up to super high speeds, and when I say high, I mean it sounded like it could have lifted my computer off the ground, but it was during a system update and hasn't happened since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:53 PM
FX-5000

Rep: 67 (Unique: 48)
So what are the system specs again? I know you have an NVidia card...... Also list any overclocks and settings used to obtain them. If you do not overclock, still list the settings you do see while in windows by using Cpu-Z and GPU-Z so we can assess if the system is running your hardware at stock as it should be. Hope we can help figure out the issue with your PC.

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ShrimpBrime View Post
So what are the system specs again? I know you have an NVidia card...... Also list any overclocks and settings used to obtain them. If you do not overclock, still list the settings you do see while in windows by using Cpu-Z and GPU-Z so we can assess if the system is running your hardware at stock as it should be. Hope we can help figure out the issue with your PC.

Thanks for the response. I did have an issue today again. Both pictures were funtional on the screens, but my mouse and keyboard stopped working again, lights were still on and were receiving power but no commands (control alt delete) would work and the mouse wouldn't move. Pictures on screens were still moving though but eventually it stopped and both monitors went to sleep and I had to force shut it down.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Not overclocked and never has been) Eight Core

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Gefore GTX 970

RAM: Corsair DDR3-2400 8gb (two sticks meaning 16gb in total)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Chipset: AMD 990FX (RD990) + SB920/SB950

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

HDD: WDC 1tb

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 263)
Quote: Originally Posted by n00bbuilder View Post
Thanks for the response. I did have an issue today again. Both pictures were funtional on the screens, but my mouse and keyboard stopped working again, lights were still on and were receiving power but no commands (control alt delete) would work and the mouse wouldn't move. Pictures on screens were still moving though but eventually it stopped and both monitors went to sleep and I had to force shut it down.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (Not overclocked and never has been) Eight Core

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Gefore GTX 970

RAM: Corsair DDR3-2400 8gb (two sticks meaning 16gb in total)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Chipset: AMD 990FX (RD990) + SB920/SB950

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

HDD: WDC 1tb

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro
PSU?
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 626 (Unique: 466)
@OP

Usually the original symptom you describe - with logging in and black screen and what not - that's indicative of file system corruption.

The latter symptoms would indicate A) power issues B) bad cabling or C) burnout in your capacitors (board going bad).

Have you had any power cycling issues running up to the first issue/s?

Also - the power cycling of on/off is terrible for data depending on what the system is accessing during the power cuts. You likely have several corrupted file trees and disk errors (though likely not severe, and usually repairable).

@drbaltazar posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12 
I like your posts. Every time I see one I read it multiple times trying to discern meaning, ultimately failing, but enjoying the experience.
biggrin.gif
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 30 (Unique: 26)
DO a clean install and if the issue persists, motherboard or power supply is failing.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post
PSU?
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850P2
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
@OP

Usually the original symptom you describe - with logging in and black screen and what not - that's indicative of file system corruption.

The latter symptoms would indicate A) power issues B) bad cabling or C) burnout in your capacitors (board going bad).

Have you had any power cycling issues running up to the first issue/s?

Also - the power cycling of on/off is terrible for data depending on what the system is accessing during the power cuts. You likely have several corrupted file trees and disk errors (though likely not severe, and usually repairable).

I have no idea what you mean by any power cycling issues running up to my first issue, but I haven't really had any issues with the computer for a while (year or two) other than what was described. Besides that, nothing has been touched, moved, or anything of that nature. I did try reseating some cables but I am sure I can go in and try to reseat all of them.

The current issue is giving me issues with the peripherals right now it seems. It seems like my keyboard and mouse just stop functioning but everything else is still on and running. I was typing something mid sentence today when it occurred and it happened and it dragged the last letter of when it went out and kept typing it like "stopppppppppppp..." and kept going for a while but eventually stopped, then the screens froze but the pc stayed on.

I know that power cycling is terrible to do, but there is no other way to turn it off at that point just like today. I let it sit but it wasn't doing anything except had a frozen screen and no keyboard commands and no mouse movement so it seemed like the only option at that point.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 519 (Unique: 255)
Just my 2cents on what i 'd do if it was my PC.

1) Try to reinstall your chipset drivers. (I assume you run 64bit Win7)
https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-chi...18.10_0830.exe
See if this helps.

2) Open Start and on search type "Windows memory diagnostic". Run it.

If the memory diagnostic turns out clean, proceed to next step.

3) Can you run Prime95 and furmark at the same time without system reboot or shutdown? If yes, it's not your PSU.

4) Open a command prompt and run: sfc /verifyonly
Does it say that it found any system violations? If yes, then run sfc /scannow . This will try to fix problems, but not guaranteed success. If problem persists, you have to reinstall Windows.

5) If reinstalling Windows doesn't solve it either, your motherboard is failing.

Ryzen 2600 - MSI B450 Gaming Plus - 16GB Corsair 3000Mhz C15 - GTX 750Ti
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Undervolter View Post
Just my 2cents on what i 'd do if it was my PC.

1) Try to reinstall your chipset drivers. (I assume you run 64bit Win7)
https://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-chi...18.10_0830.exe
See if this helps.

2) Open Start and on search type "Windows memory diagnostic". Run it.

If the memory diagnostic turns out clean, proceed to next step.

3) Can you run Prime95 and furmark at the same time without system reboot or shutdown? If yes, it's not your PSU.

4) Open a command prompt and run: sfc /verifyonly
Does it say that it found any system violations? If yes, then run sfc /scannow . This will try to fix problems, but not guaranteed success. If problem persists, you have to reinstall Windows.

5) If reinstalling Windows doesn't solve it either, your motherboard is failing.
I will be working on this list in the next couple of days. Thanks for the input. I had two days where I had no issue at all. Now today, it just started again. Still going to go down the list and I will keep you updated on the progress. Thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in