Bad Mobo? CPU and GPU fans stuck at 100% - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Bad Mobo? CPU and GPU fans stuck at 100%

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 14)
Bad Mobo? CPU and GPU fans stuck at 100%

The other day an old computer's GPU stopped displaying video. My good old 8800gts 512 was still pumping it's fan pretty hard anyway. I switched the card for what is apparently a Radeon X550. It displayed video, but it's annoying little fan is screaming all of the time it has power. I'm assuming it is at 100%, no programs seem to be able to read it, aside from load which is very low (3-14%). They read the CPU fan which is a solid 100% at 30C whether low or high load.

Comodo and Malwarebytes find no problems, swapping the power supply made no difference, just cleared CMOS to no effect.

After the cmos clear, it had a boot hiccup and the gpu fan slowed for a moment, but i think it was just the system power cycling. It had AMD's Cool n' Quiet disabled cuz default, so that isn't the issue. Unless of course it's somehow fried itself into cool n'loud ?... hey - what happened to the emojis? awww..

I had to replace this mobo once before, but this is still the first computer I ever built myself from scratch, I guess it's kind of a personal mission to keep it alive ... forever ...
Replacing seems out of the question at this point, so I'm hoping the mobo might possibly not be the problem, or at least correctable.

AMD 6400+ BE
ASUS M2NE-SLI
2 GB RAM
Radeon x550 (or so it comes up, card says nothing)/EVGA 8800GTS 512
CoolerMaster GX450W/Antec EA750
Windows 7 pro 64

Do your own research and testing, both for peace of mind that (a) What you're reading is true, and that (b) Your gear ain't defective!

Last edited by Darkhaze; 03-31-2019 at 03:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Head Smeghead of OCN

Rep: 181 (Unique: 131)
You can see if a util such as Afterburner has any effect on fanspeed, give that a shot and see.

If not perhaps an uninstall and reinstall of the drivers would fix it.

And if all that doesn't work you could well be looking at a board with a problem.
Just try it, you've nothing to lose at this point.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
You could try speedfan (if you have not already), otherwise, can you manually set fan speeds in the bios? If neither of those work (for your non-GPU fans; MSI afterburner should definitely work for the GPU), you can look for a fan controller/low-noise adapters (something like what Noctua includes with the coolers, which [iirc] reduces the voltage supplied to the fan).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Head Smeghead of OCN

Missed it about the CPU fan running 100% all the time.

Make sure your CMOS battery is good because a weak battery can make a system do some weird stuff. If the battery is over 3 years old go ahead and replace it to be sure before doing anything else, if you can pop it out and check it's voltage with a voltmeter. You'd want to see 3.0v's or so with it, anything below 2.9v's is bad and needs replacement.

Although not likely it's possible you may need to reflash the BIOS, something could have gotten corrupted when the issue occured - I really don't see how but it's a possibility.
Related to the above a weak battery CAN cause corruption of the BIOS.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Missed it about the CPU fan running 100% all the time.

Make sure your CMOS battery is good because a weak battery can make a system do some weird stuff. If the battery is over 3 years old go ahead and replace it to be sure before doing anything else, if you can pop it out and check it's voltage with a voltmeter. You'd want to see 3.0v's or so with it, anything below 2.9v's is bad and needs replacement.

Although not likely it's possible you may need to reflash the BIOS, something could have gotten corrupted when the issue occured - I really don't see how but it's a possibility.
Related to the above a weak battery CAN cause corruption of the BIOS.
CMOS battery hmm.. i could just remove it and try i guess.. maybe reflash, why not. At this point.. right?

Do your own research and testing, both for peace of mind that (a) What you're reading is true, and that (b) Your gear ain't defective!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
You could try speedfan (if you have not already), otherwise, can you manually set fan speeds in the bios? If neither of those work (for your non-GPU fans; MSI afterburner should definitely work for the GPU), you can look for a fan controller/low-noise adapters (something like what Noctua includes with the coolers, which [iirc] reduces the voltage supplied to the fan).
I actually have my nh-d15 low noise adapters sitting in the box lol, but that's just a band-aid, not a fix. wouldn't matter for the gpu either

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Usually fans will spin at 100% when there is some kind of sensor error.

Did this issues occur together or what? What is the timeline on these issues? How long has the CPU fan been going 100%?

What do you use this computer for? Are you just trying to keep it alive out of nostalgia or do you actually use it for something?

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Head Smeghead of OCN

Quote: Originally Posted by Darkhaze View Post
CMOS battery hmm.. i could just remove it and try i guess.. maybe reflash, why not. At this point.. right?
Yep - Not alot to lose by trying and you won't be in it very deep if it fails to fix things.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Usually fans will spin at 100% when there is some kind of sensor error.

Did this issues occur together or what? What is the timeline on these issues? How long has the CPU fan been going 100%?

What do you use this computer for? Are you just trying to keep it alive out of nostalgia or do you actually use it for something?
The fans both went to 100% and stayed there at the same time, blowing my 8800gts, even though it's fan was at 100% with no video. This was a week ago. It's an old ppl email/ms word computer.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Yep - Not alot to lose by trying and you won't be in it very deep if it fails to fix things.
Well I was going to tinker with it, but I had to have a system in place of it so I went and spent $100 CAD on a 1090t w/16gb ram and gtx 460 +psu hdd etc, I put the x550 gpu in the 1090t system and it's fans were still at 100%. I put the gtx 460 in the problem am2 system and.. everything started at 100% and then both cpu fan and gpu fan settled down and became normal. ???? i don't know what's going on. Last I tried the 8800gts in the 1090t system and still no video and 100% fans...

Bottom line, I also found an x4 965 be i thought i had given away and now i can build 2 complete systems, 3 if I baking the 8800gts works or I get another gpu.

Tags
100% , Cpu , fan , Gpu , stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in