probably going to get a cheap 2600 and need a mobo - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

probably going to get a cheap 2600 and need a mobo

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
probably going to get a cheap 2600 and need a mobo

I'm currently running a 4670k with a GTX 1080 and its just not enough for any of the games I play anymore. I run 1440p and as close to 144 as I can get. I was looking for any possible options to get another year or so out of my rig but none of them are cost effective.

I also considered just upgrading but I have concerns that getting a 9700k and it not being hyper threading I'll be having thread issues just like I am now in a few years with that too...so dropping 700 dollars does not seem like something I'm willing to do for that at this point. I do not want to spend 500 bucks on a CPU so a 9900k is out and 8700s are basically microwaves. Also we all know that when intel release their 10nm stuff there will be a different socket anyway. I feel the same way about AM4, which is why I won't consider a ryzen 3k build. AM4 although having another year of support is basically on the way out too and I'm tired of upgrading at the end of product life cycles which sevenly limits my upgrade options as my system ages. So I need a stopgap....something very cheap and very budget to get my by until intel finally release 10nm, whenever that is and AMD finally moves to their new socket, which should have multiple year and gen support. Lets hope intel also gets the gist and starts doing that too considering AMD is now becoming real competition again.

I just need a mobo, a CPU and some cheapish DDR4 and I should be good. Im transferring everything else over from the old rig. I just have the 1080, a couple of SSDs, a spinner and the PSU is a 750 seasonic so it should be fine for the next build, though it is going on 5 years old now. The wattage is plenty and I think its got built in protection so if it does pop in a year or so I don't think it will smoke anything else when it goes.....

so enough of the backstory I live about 15 minutes from microcenter..I check a few days ago and they have 2600s for 119 dollars. They have a combo deal with a b450 tomahawk and a 2600 for 200. Basically I can't even buy used parts for that. This seems like the best cheap option anyway. There are 2 cheaper bundles but they are matx boards, ones a gigabyte DS3h and the other is an asus tuf gaming plus, both b450 but also buildzoid basically said they are crap...I'm willing to spend the extra 40 bucks for the tomahawk. Not that I'm going to be doing anything crazy with them anyway though. Though there is a possibility of me at some point trying to drop a ryen 3k into one and then it may make a difference, dont know.

so my basic question is in relation to boards..the tomahawk is the best board for my budget right? I don't have a hard budget but Im going for as cheap as possible whilst still not buying crap. Ill probably thrown some 3000 speed ballistix sport into it for around 70 80 bucks and call it a day,

Are there any other boards I should be looking at in the hundred...ish dollar range or cheaper?

Is intel lan even a possibility in the hundred dollar..ish board price range?

I would like something that can throw a decent OC on the 2600, nothing too crazy.

I do not nor will I ever use SLI

I am ready to go now but is there any chance b450 boards will drop in price or the 2k stuff will drop even more..this doesn't have to happen right now.

support for the 3k chips would be nice but isn't a requirement. This is to just get me by for a year or two nothing more and will either get sold off, given to the kids or relegated to some other non gaming purpose in the house when Im done with it.

Last edited by loki993; 07-29-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:08 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Quote:
ones a gigabyte DS3h and the other is an asus tuf gaming plus, both b450 buildzoid basically said they are crap too
You don't have to mention Buildzoid, you can see for yourself that the Tomahawk is a better board as the DS3H and TUF not only have a weaker VRM but a weaker featureset. That extends to USB 3.1 gen 2 type C and also to audio solution used (ALC892 vs ALC887).

R5 2600 should be able to run on just about any B450 board with heatsinks on it, so look at featureset. The only better B450 I am aware of is the MSI B450 Pro Carbon, which isn't readily available for $120-130 anymore (being gouged for ~$160). https://www.microcenter.com/product/...md-motherboard

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post
You don't have to mention Buildzoid, you can see for yourself that the Tomahawk is a better board as the DS3H and TUF not only have a weaker VRM but a weaker featureset. That extends to USB 3.1 gen 2 type C and also to audio solution used (ALC892 vs ALC887).

R5 2600 should be able to run on just about any B450 board with heatsinks on it, so look at featureset. The only better B450 I am aware of is the MSI B450 Pro Carbon, which isn't readily available for $120-130 anymore (being gouged for ~$160). https://www.microcenter.com/product/...md-motherboard
That is the other one I like but as you say at 160 its more than I really want to spend on a board...though it should be fully capable of running any ryzen 3k chip and it does have intel lan...those are the nice thing about that board. I really couldn't care less about wifi on a PC...Ill never use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 PM
⤷ αC

Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
If you discount the WIFI, the Pro Carbon has better audio (ALC1220 with shielding), a M.2 heatshield (of questionable effectiveness), Intel LAN and better A-RGB support. Well worth another $20ish. At $160 it's into X470/X570 territory.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

yeah if it was 120 or 130 for sure
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I was messing around on the microcenter site and thought what could I get a 3600 for all the bundle they show are with x570 boards.... so I dropped a 3600 and a tomahawk in the cart and you get an extra 20 off the tomahawk going with a 3600...so the price different is around 60 bucks more to go with the 3600 over the the 2600. Seems like a good trade to me. So for just shy of 350 I could solve my upgrade problem altogether.

Last edited by loki993; 07-30-2019 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in