[Guide] 'Fixing' Windows 7 USB support on Matisse / Ryzen 3000 / Zen 2 on X370/X470 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Guide] 'Fixing' Windows 7 USB support on Matisse / Ryzen 3000 / Zen 2 on X370/X470

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Boxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 89
Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
[Guide] 'Fixing' Windows 7 USB support on Matisse / Ryzen 3000 / Zen 2 on X370/X470

Hosting the guide I made a while earlier here. My Ryzen 9 3900X works fine on Windows 7 in my old x370 board, however I seemed to have lost all my USB ports on the back of my motherboard since the on-die Matisse USB 3.0 controller is not supported on Windows 7 and has no drivers from AMD.

However, with a bit of hacky-whacky, I managed to get it working by tricking Windows 7 into using the Ryzen 1000/2000 driver anyway. I figured AMD wouldn't have changed the on-die USB controller significantly. It should work on all pre-x570 motherboards, since the controller is standalone and on-die. Here's how do it, however;

DISCLAIMER: This workaround is at your own risk. I have not extensively tested it except for that it now works and I'm typing this post in Windows 7 on the Matisse USB 3.0 Controller.

Now, without further ado:

---------------------------

Foolproof Matisse Windows 7 USB tutorial:

  • Plug keyboard/mouse in front-usb so you can navigate Windows 7
  • Download the latest AMD Chipset Windows 7 drivers from AMD: http://www.amd.com/en/support/chipse...ocket-am4/x370
  • Start the installation such that the installer extracts its contents into C:\AMD\. You don't need to finish the installation, but it can't do harm either.
  • Browse to C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Driver s\MSIFiles\program files\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\USBController Driver\Win7\x64 and open 'amdxhc.inf' in notepad.
  • We're going to trick Windows into installing drivers for Ryzen 1- and 2000 for the 3000 series. Find this block:
Code:
[AMD.NTamd64]  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145C  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E0  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E1  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145F
  • Change DEV_145C to DEV_149C, resulting in
Code:
[AMD.NTamd64]  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_149C  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E0  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E1  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145F
  • Go to device manager, right click the unrecognized USB controller "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" and choose "Update driver software"
  • Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click "Browse" and direct it to C:\AMD, and make sure to check the checkbox "Include subfolders". It should now search for your modified .inf file. Alternatively, you can direct it all the way to C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Driver s\MSIFiles\program files\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\USBController Driver\Win7\x64
  • You will be prompted to install the driver software. Choose "Install anyway"

You're done. USB works.

------------------------

If anyone has guides how to slipstream these drivers into a Windows 7 installation image, and how to extend it to X570, let me know so I can append it to this topic.
Boxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:20 PM
Shining Brightstar.
 
MT441HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 20
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I slipstreamed using this https://www.win-raid.com/t4960f52-So...mainboard.html and this guide https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...500572/page-11

I copied dism.exe, boot.wim and install.wim into a folder "7USB" in C: drive.
Then made two subfolders "boot" and "install" in them.
Copied those files to the folder and gone into with Command Prompt.
Also, extracted the driver archive contents to a folder called x570 in 7USB. Doesn't matter if it's in subfolders, because DISM picks it up as inf files and finds them automatically.

Quote:
DISM /mount-wim /wimfile:boot.wim /index:2 /mountdir:c:\7USB\boot
DISM /image:c:\7USB\boot /add-driver /driver:x570\ /recurse
(you only needed /forceunsigned back in old days as 64-bit win7 requires driver signing, these drivers are modded but SHA-1 signed so Win7 does not complain.)

Then to finish the wim,


Quote:
DISM /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\7USB\boot /commit
And same for install.wim, except i only wanted Ultimate, so i did

Quote:
DISM /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:4 /mountdir:c:\7USB\install
DISM /image:c:\7usb\install /add-driver /driver:X570\ /recurse
DISM /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:/7USB/install /commit
If everything went right, you should get something like '1 - .... The driver installation completed successfully.' etc on each .inf file it found for your USB drivers.

May be off-topic now, but i removed any other editions than Ultimate, which i slipstreamed, using this (thanks to this https://superuser.com/questions/1065...-windows-7-iso )

Quote:
Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:C:\7usb\install.wim /SourceIndex:4 /DestinationImageFile:C:\7usb\install4.wim /DestinationName:"Windows 7 Ultimate"
And deleted the original install.wim, and renamed the install4.wim to install.wim. Copied both into my Win7 USB pendrive in 'sources' folder, which was a Windows 7 multi-edition Polish ISO, updated already-slipstreamed from August 2017. I formatted in MBR in Rufus as BIOS (Or UEFI-CSM).

Booted to pendrive and installed using keyboard and mouse on back USB 3.0 ports just fine, pendrive included on back too.

Performance once installing my LAN driver for my AX370-Gaming 3 and Radeon 19.7.2 for my RX 470 on a R7 3700X was stellar, about 300+ fps in CS:Go on 128tick with max settings, which i was impressed how smooth it was vs. 10 on default settings (anyone who played games like CS:Go know that max settings are not that fluid, so seeing this, along with very nice mouse input, even with m_rawinput=0 was great.)

Oh, and i should mention, GPT install can be done in CSM, but i converted my SSD to MBR to install in legacy mode. No performance loss due to that, low CPU usage and fast SSD copying as always.

Here's my terrible imgur album of this when i had 7: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZgM3B72

Now i use Windows 10 Oct 2018 LTSC 2019, since i need it for my Gigabyte 1gb/s + wifi/bt5 pci-e card so i can use wifi in a wifi-only home i moved back after the holidays, but the slipstreaming of this is just a few command lines and you can always google, happy to help.

Xero4081
(14 items)
CPU
Ryzen+ 5 2600X
Motherboard
BIOSTAR X370GTN
GPU
Sapphire RX 470 NITRO+ 4GB W/BP UEFI
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ Series F4-3600C17D-16GTZ 16GB DDR4 3600 MHz C 17 1.35 V Memory Kit - Dual Colour
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda - 2 TB internal hard drive (3.5", 64 MB SATA cache from 6 GB/s up to 210 MB/s), silver
Optical Drive
LiteOn IHAS324-17 24x DVDRW Retail Kit
Power Supply
be quiet! BN279
Cooling
Game Max Iceberg 120MM AIO
Case
Cooler Master Elite 130
Operating System
Windows 7 SP1 Pro PL
Monitor
Samsung S24C550L HDMI 1920x1080 60hz 1Ms
Keyboard
Trust 17185
Mouse
SteelSeries Sensei 310 USB2.0 1000Hz RGB 1-to-1 Mouse
Audio
Anker A3143 2.1 Bluetooth/3.5mm Speaker 9hr life
▲ hide details ▲
MT441HD is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Alexshunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Rep: 0
Hello,

Thanks for the guide!

I have Ryzen 5 3600 with Asrock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming-ITX/ac and windows 7 works fine, but I still have some undrivered devices in device manager. Could you help what drivers are those would need? Also there is still one "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" and this does not want take the driver trick. For the another one has worked.
Attached Images
 
Alexshunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 09:45 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 611
Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Boxman View Post
Hosting the guide I made a while earlier here. My Ryzen 9 3900X works fine on Windows 7 in my old x370 board, however I seemed to have lost all my USB ports on the back of my motherboard since the on-die Matisse USB 3.0 controller is not supported on Windows 7 and has no drivers from AMD.

However, with a bit of hacky-whacky, I managed to get it working by tricking Windows 7 into using the Ryzen 1000/2000 driver anyway. I figured AMD wouldn't have changed the on-die USB controller significantly. It should work on all pre-x570 motherboards, since the controller is standalone and on-die. Here's how do it, however;

DISCLAIMER: This workaround is at your own risk. I have not extensively tested it except for that it now works and I'm typing this post in Windows 7 on the Matisse USB 3.0 Controller.

Now, without further ado:

---------------------------

Foolproof Matisse Windows 7 USB tutorial:

  • Plug keyboard/mouse in front-usb so you can navigate Windows 7
  • Download the latest AMD Chipset Windows 7 drivers from AMD: http://www.amd.com/en/support/chipse...ocket-am4/x370
  • Start the installation such that the installer extracts its contents into C:\AMD\. You don't need to finish the installation, but it can't do harm either.
  • Browse to C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Driver s\MSIFiles\program files\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\USBController Driver\Win7\x64 and open 'amdxhc.inf' in notepad.
  • We're going to trick Windows into installing drivers for Ryzen 1- and 2000 for the 3000 series. Find this block:
Code:
[AMD.NTamd64]  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145C  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E0  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E1  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145F
  • Change DEV_145C to DEV_149C, resulting in
Code:
[AMD.NTamd64]  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_149C  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E0  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_15E1  
%AMDXHCI.DeviceDesc% = AMDXHCI, PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_145F
  • Go to device manager, right click the unrecognized USB controller "Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller" and choose "Update driver software"
  • Choose "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Click "Browse" and direct it to C:\AMD, and make sure to check the checkbox "Include subfolders". It should now search for your modified .inf file. Alternatively, you can direct it all the way to C:\AMD\Chipset_Driver_Installer\AMD_Chipset_Driver s\MSIFiles\program files\AMD\Chipset_IODrivers\USBController Driver\Win7\x64
  • You will be prompted to install the driver software. Choose "Install anyway"

You're done. USB works.

------------------------

If anyone has guides how to slipstream these drivers into a Windows 7 installation image, and how to extend it to X570, let me know so I can append it to this topic.
Hi @Boxman I really appreciate the help, it is a blessing to have members as yourself helping those who still wishes to use Windows 7. It is unfortunate that you method only seem to work with X370 and X470 chipsets as I can confirm using the USB 2.0 port on my X570 does not work..... it is seriously frustrating to say the least, but thanks again, it is great having members that try to help. The joke is two weeks ago I was using a X470 mobo, but unfortunately lost it due to a memory bank failing.

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
VPII is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:41 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
Hi @Boxman I really appreciate the help, it is a blessing to have members as yourself helping those who still wishes to use Windows 7. It is unfortunate that you method only seem to work with X370 and X470 chipsets as I can confirm using the USB 2.0 port on my X570 does not work..... it is seriously frustrating to say the least, but thanks again, it is great having members that try to help. The joke is two weeks ago I was using a X470 mobo, but unfortunately lost it due to a memory bank failing.

which x570 mobo out of interest? Did you try using a pcie-usb2 card, the onboard usb2 header (for front ports) or rear usb2 ports?


also which x470 mobo let you down?
Spedoral is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:03 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 611
Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Spedoral View Post
which x570 mobo out of interest? Did you try using a pcie-usb2 card, the onboard usb2 header (for front ports) or rear usb2 ports?


also which x470 mobo let you down?
Hi there..... it is the Msi Meg X570 Ace and the board that said good bey was the Asus Crosshair VII Hero..... The C7H was one of the best boards, I still cannot match the 2d benchmark scores I got with it when running this X570 board. Make no mistake this X570 board is great....

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
VPII is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
Hi there..... it is the Msi Meg X570 Ace and the board that said good bey was the Asus Crosshair VII Hero..... The C7H was one of the best boards, I still cannot match the 2d benchmark scores I got with it when running this X570 board. Make no mistake this X570 board is great....

Did you try using a ps2 keyboard to start the win7 install - enough to load other drivers to get the USB ports running? I'm looking at the MSI boards because they have that PS2 option

If I go x470 I'm trying to choose between ROG VII hero and the Strix-F. The strix-f seems to have a slightly better configuration since it still leaves graphics card at x16 when a second M2 drive is added (albeit only running at 16Gb vs full 32Gb).


edit as above, just curious which usb2 ports you tried as I've heard suggestions elsewhere that USB2 can be got to work but you have to be careful what it is running from.

Last edited by Spedoral; 08-17-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Spedoral is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
VPII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hout Bay, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 611
Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Spedoral View Post
Did you try using a ps2 keyboard to start the win7 install - enough to load other drivers to get the USB ports running? I'm looking at the MSI boards because they have that PS2 option

If I go x470 I'm trying to choose between ROG VII hero and the Strix-F. The strix-f seems to have a slightly better configuration since it still leaves graphics card at x16 when a second M2 drive is added (albeit only running at 16Gb vs full 32Gb).


edit as above, just curious which usb2 ports you tried as I've heard suggestions elsewhere that USB2 can be got to work but you have to be careful what it is running from.
Yup I tried usb 4 and usb 5 port on mobo which is stated as usb2.0

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AMD
(9 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VII Hero
GPU
GALAX RTX 2080 TI OC
RAM
G.Skill f4-3200c14d-16gtzr tridentz rgb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 M.2 SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX1200i
Cooling
CoolerMaster MLW-D24M-A20PC-R1 MasterLiquid ML240L 240mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2717D 27" UltraSharp InfinityEdge LED Monitor
▲ hide details ▲
VPII is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:00 AM
R3n
Not new to Overclock.net
 
R3n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by MT441HD View Post
Here's my terrible imgur album of this when i had 7: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZgM3B72
What is "Windows 7 PL 2017"?
R3n is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM
R3n
Not new to Overclock.net
 
R3n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by VPII View Post
Yup I tried usb 4 and usb 5 port on mobo which is stated as usb2.0
Try installing the 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 driver, and see if the ports work
R3n is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off