No idea how to fix my PC -- black screen and 100% fans - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

No idea how to fix my PC -- black screen and 100% fans

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 17)
No idea how to fix my PC -- black screen and 100% fans

First, specs ...

Asrock X370 Taichi
Ryzen 3700X
2x16GB Crucial 3200 MHz RAM
eVGA 1070
Seasonic G-series 550W (bought new in 2015)
Latest Windows 10, Ryzen drivers, nVidia drivers
... all running with no overclock of any kind

The problem is that it crashes with a black screen and the CPU fan spins up while playing Overwatch, and I can only shut down by switching off the PSU (power button and reset unresponsive). I can't get anything to fail stability tests -- Prime95, Linpack, Memtest86 and Memtest for Windows, Furmark. I even ran three instances of 3GB memtest for Windows, Linpack, and Furmark all at the same time overnight for 8 hours with no errors. After a hard crash, I have a really hard time booting back up. I can sit there and try 20 times in a row now, switching off the PSU in between each try, and it won't boot until I leave it alone for 30 minutes, after which everything is fine until I try to play video games again.

Worth mentioning that when I do boot back up, BIOS settings are all at their old settings, which leads me to believe the board thinks everything is fine. When I was trying to run my B-die with first-gen Ryzen and it crashed due to memory, it would fail to boot a few times and then go into "safety mode" by putting RAM back to 2400 MHz.

Things I have tried:

- New motherboard, twice (ASUS and ASrock X570 boards, returned both)
- New GPU, eVGA 2060 Super (returned)
- This has happened with the CPU and RAM that I upgraded from ... 2700X and 16 GB B-die. It used to be significantly less frequent but I upgraded in part because I thought it would make my problems go away. This one might be a different issue -- I had a lot of resets due to memory for a while, but it would reboot fine.
- Heatsink on my NVMe drive -- I reproduced the issue with Linpack+memtest+furmark+CrystalDiskMark running at the same time, leading me to believe it was high disk temps ("temp 2" = 100-110C max). It now hits 50C max so $13 well spent but no dice re: black screen crashes.
- Measured PSU voltages at multiple pins with my Fluke DMM -- rock solid 3.38, 5.09 and 12.20V
- Finally reinstalled Windows even though I had my doubts. Sure enough made no difference

The boot routine of the ASRock X570 board was different enough that when it would black screen, the PC would try to boot a bunch of times rather than just get locked. My X370 boot LEDs do not light up when I'm trying and failing to boot, meaning it doesn't even get to the point where it starts the boot routine. Whatever the problem is, it definitely seems to be getting worse. I used to be able to play for an hour or two, now I can't even make it three minutes.

Any ideas are appreciated. I live close to a Microcenter but I'm getting tired of going there and returning things that don't fix my problems. Soon I will just replace every part and throw the rest out the window.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 41 (Unique: 34)
Which bios are you on? There were 2 of the new releases that on a reboot it would just revert back to default setting and have to relearn memory every time, 5.61 & 5.63 were the worse. Try 5.67.Check the PCI GEN if on auto change it to gen 3 if on gen 3 change it to something different. Move the memory to different dimm slots, try one stick at a time.
Unplug any case headers, usb,reset,pwr,audio.

3700x & H80iv2
Gigabyte x570 Gaming X F3 Bios
4x8 Team Dark 3200 14-14-14-31
Gigabyte 2070 OC
860 Evo 500 SSD m.2
Evga G3 850
Matrixx 70

Last edited by polar; 08-19-2019 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by polar View Post
Which bios are you on? There were 2 of the new releases that on a reboot it would just revert back to default setting and have to relearn memory every time, 5.61 & 5.63 were the worse. Try 5.67.Check the PCI GEN if on auto change it to gen 3 if on gen 3 change it to something different. Move the memory to different dimm slots, try one stick at a time.
Unplug any case headers, usb,reset,pwr,audio.
I'm on 5.80, but have been following all the new BIOS releases so have used a bunch from 5.60, including 5.67 ... no change. PCI-e is on gen 3, I will try an earlier gen though.

I have tried one stick of RAM, but haven't tried different slots. Figured the motherboard changes to the two X570 boards had the possibility of bad RAM slots covered. Also unplugged all my case headers over the weekend already, good idea there to catch any weird mystery shorts.

The only thing I haven't changed at this point is the PSU. I have my doubts it will fix the problem because it seems like it measures okay, but stranger things have happened and a DMM doesn't have the resolution of an oscilloscope.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Frustrating it can be, at this point it is a process of elimination. I would start unplugging everything from the board, fans,drives excreta. Also make sure you don't have any extra standoffs in the case that could rub on the back of the board, and look at the back of the board and check to see if any of the soldered componets have longer than normal protrusions, I have seen stuff impact the case back plate and cause issues. Rare that is but I think you are at that point.

3700x & H80iv2
Gigabyte 2070 OC
860 Evo 500 SSD m.2
Evga G3 850
Matrixx 70
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Check your CPU temps.

I suspect your power supply is failing but it could also be the motherboard.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote: Originally Posted by repoman View Post
I'm on 5.80, but have been following all the new BIOS releases so have used a bunch from 5.60, including 5.67 ... no change. PCI-e is on gen 3, I will try an earlier gen though.

I have tried one stick of RAM, but haven't tried different slots. Figured the motherboard changes to the two X570 boards had the possibility of bad RAM slots covered. Also unplugged all my case headers over the weekend already, good idea there to catch any weird mystery shorts.

The only thing I haven't changed at this point is the PSU. I have my doubts it will fix the problem because it seems like it measures okay, but stranger things have happened and a DMM doesn't have the resolution of an oscilloscope.
Try this.

Go to Advanced tab in bios>AMD CSB>CPU configuration>Idle current control>select tipycal idle current>save

Ryzen [email protected] bclk+ Kraken X61 push/pull|Asrock X370 Taichi|EVGA SC2 1080ti [email protected] & [email protected] Mhz 0.98 mV + Kraken X61|GSkill FlareX 8GBx2 3740MHz CL 16-15-14-14-28-42-282-1t&1.39 mV|EVGA SuperNova 850W|Thermaltake View 31 RGB|NVME CorsairMP500 240 GB+Seagate 3TB 7200rpm 200 MBps|HP Omen 27" [email protected]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 29 (Unique: 25)
Quote: Originally Posted by iNeri View Post
Try this.

Go to Advanced tab in bios>AMD CSB>CPU configuration>Idle current control>select tipycal idle current>save
This is not a bios issue. There are only two things that can cause a computer to crash like this, where it takes some time for it to boot normally again. When waiting for a period of time allows the computer to boot again works, that can only mean you have a bad capacitor somewhere or the PC is overheating. Usually overheating would not take so long for the PC to work again, so I suspect you have a failing capacitor somewhere either in your power supply or on your motherboard.

Messing with software or bios setting is a complete waste of time here.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

It was the PSU. Replaced with a 650W Seasonic from Microcenter and hasn't crashed in over two hours. Very strange, DMM doesn't tell the whole story ...

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by repoman View Post
It was the PSU. Replaced with a 650W Seasonic from Microcenter and hasn't crashed in over two hours. Very strange, DMM doesn't tell the whole story ...
Take the cover off the old one and see if any caps are bulged.

3700x & H80iv2
Gigabyte 2070 OC
860 Evo 500 SSD m.2
Evga G3 850
Matrixx 70
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by polar View Post
Take the cover off the old one and see if any caps are bulged.
I really want to for science but my old unit is still under warranty .... it'd be financially responsible to RMA and sell the replacement, but science might be more important

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in