Current Specs:
Mobo - MSI MPOWER z77
CPU - Intel 3570k
Ram - Gskill 16gb 1866 ddr3
Gfx - 1080 evga
psu - evga 850 g2
case - haf x
monitor - U2713hm 1440 60hz Dell

Looking to upgrade to a 3900x. Looking to gain some helpful information on motherboards, ram, nvme, cooling.

Onto Motherboards, I have no personal preference on what brand as long as the manufacture has consistent up to date bios. Ram, I'm really confused on what's best 4x8gb or 2x16gb and micron e/samsung b die for tightening/overclocking + topology. As for ssd I'm confused if samsung still reigns supreme, or is there a cheaper alternative? Heatsink, I'm open to suggestions I know the noctua nh d15 is at the top but ram clearance, etc. Thermal paste preference? Going to re-paste my gfx card and for cpu.

Regardless, I'm always open to saving money to be used else where like a new graphics card down the line or monitor.

Budget

Mobo = 300$
Ram = 200$
ssd = 200$
heatsink = 50-100$

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gqmyf9 < Current mock up welcome to any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
I would recommend to go with a 3600mhz memory kit instead of take advantage of the performance benefit of having the infinity fabric clocked at 1800.

a kit like this one still falls in your budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3F...00c16d-32gtznc

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 01:57 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2752 (Unique: 1632)
Dont buy a Samsung NVME SSD they are way overpriced and a drive with a Toshiba E12 controller are almost as good and way cheaper
https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-...2-toshiba.html

Almost bought a 970 Evo myself but ended up with a Force MP510 for way less money and you can save $45 youself by going with that one instead of an overpriced 970 Evo
The PNY XLR8 CS3030 is $132 on newegg so that one is also cheaper

I am building a new system myself and i am going with a 3800x an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero 32 GB of G.Skill TridentZ Neo Series 3600 MHz CL16 the new black Noctua NH-12US and all of that is going in a Phanteks Luxe 2

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 10-23-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Scrub

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
Quote: Originally Posted by shilka View Post
Dont buy a Samsung NVME SSD they are way overpriced and a drive with a Toshiba E12 controller are almost as good and way cheaper
https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-...2-toshiba.html

Almost bought a 970 Evo myself but ended up with a Force MP510 for way less money and you can save $45 youself by going with that one instead of an overpriced 970 Evo
The PNY XLR8 CS3030 is $132 on newegg so that one is also cheaper

I am building a new system myself and i am going with a 3800x an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero 32 GB of G.Skill TridentZ Neo Series 3600 MHz CL16 the new black Noctua NH-12US and all of that is going in a Phanteks Luxe 2
You are always a big help on everything. Thanks man! And I did not know about the luxe 2 it has tons of 3.5 drive bays which is what I need. I was looking at the p600s but the 4 drive bay at the bottom looks super cramped with little cable space for the power supply with zero airflow. I have 4x4TB hgst drives that get semi toasty in my haf x.

I'm looking at the neo kit you and the guy above you mentioned looks good going to research it more about tightening timings a bit. I'm trying to understand pbo/auto oc on ryzen but afaik it's just set and go unlike intel.

Any reason you are going for asus crosshair VIII hero - 8 sata ports?

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:55 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2752 (Unique: 1632)
Quote: Originally Posted by FeelKun View Post
You are always a big help on everything. Thanks man! And I did not know about the luxe 2 it has tons of 3.5 drive bays which is what I need. I was looking at the p600s but the 4 drive bay at the bottom looks super cramped with little cable space for the power supply with zero airflow. I have 4x4TB hgst drives that get semi toasty in my haf x.

I'm looking at the neo kit you and the guy above you mentioned looks good going to research it more about tightening timings a bit. I'm trying to understand pbo/auto oc on ryzen but afaik it's just set and go unlike intel.

Any reason you are going for asus crosshair VIII hero - 8 sata ports?
I also have a lot of HDD´s 5 in fact and with prices for 16 TB like they are and 18-20 TB being even higher i think i would rather buy more rather than bigger
I have 2x 12 TB 2x 14 TB and a 16 TB so only 61,7 TB combined

I actually ordered the P600S but i found that my PSU and GPU are so long they block off HDD cages so the P600S can only hold up to 10 if you have a small GPU and PSU and i dont so the P600S was useless for my use case so i canceled the P600S and made an order for the Luxe 2 as that was the only other option

The downside to that is none of my SATA cables can reach so i had to order 60 cm cables from CableMod and since they are so slow they are the last thing that will show up and the whole build will probably be delayed because of that so maybe i will buy a cheap SATA cable to have at least one drive i can use

As for the motherboard only Asus and Asrock has boards with 8 SATA ports Gigabyte and MSI only has 6 SATA ports so their boards are useless

I picked the Asus Crosshair VIII Hero because i would rather buy a good board with stuff i dont need rather than buying a cheaper board and need something later the board does not have and i think the Hero looks better than the Strix boards

I almost bought the new black Noctua NH-D15 but its too expensive and its overkill and since there is no black NH-U14S i went with the NH-U12S instead i wont be overclocking so its not a problem
And last you can buy both CL18 and CL16 versions of G Skill kits i ordered the CL16 since its almost the same price as the CL18

Edit: ordered some el-cheapo looking Delock SATA cables i can use if the CableMod SATA dont show up in time for the build

Also forgot to say that the Luxe 2 comes with no fans and only 4 HDD cages so you have to spend money on fans and cages if you need more than 4 HDD cages
I bought 4 Phanteks PH-140MP fans as i have two already i will re-use and 4 more HDD cages

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 10-24-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in