Upgrade 2020 - Oldschool PROSUMER Request - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Upgrade 2020 - Oldschool PROSUMER Request

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 627 (Unique: 467)
Quote: Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post
What is that? Haswell? Broadwell?
Yeah I think that's the end of the roadmap for LGA2011. Sandy was diff IIRC.

Hmmm... so then maybe one other question: Anyone think Win7 becomes a *real* security issue post EOL? I have a laptop with Win10 and the features itself that it offers/UI change, all that jazz don't detract me from using it, but it does feel clunkly like Vista originally did.

@drbaltazar posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12 
I like your posts. Every time I see one I read it multiple times trying to discern meaning, ultimately failing, but enjoying the experience.
biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 06:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
Quote: Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post

Hmmm... so then maybe one other question: Anyone think Win7 becomes a *real* security issue post EOL? I have a laptop with Win10 and the features itself that it offers/UI change, all that jazz don't detract me from using it, but it does feel clunkly like Vista originally did.
I don't think so unless clicking on every link that comes along and surfing the "dark web".

Built in firewall, browser selection is important.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 252 (Unique: 201)
Haha, I hope that didn't come off the wrong way - I tend to try and be matter of fact (per my job and it permeates my everything else).

Being matter of fact tends to rub people the wrong way, apologies if so.
No problem at all. It was informative, it wasn't condescending, and it was to the point. Hence the rep.

Hmmm I mean it's tempting to upgrade but my usage doesn't *require* the upgrade! I'm not a fan of spending frivolous money. I've got the same low end phone since 2015; holds a charge and does what I need it to.

Same with the PC - runs everything I throw at it with ease and that includes any games I'm playing (modern or older).

So I'm really toying with (I guess) the security issue of Win7 post EOL - meaning, if I upgrade to Windows 10 - do the components I currently have subsist for security OR should I purchase new hardware that Win 10 provides features for. I think maybe my OP is slightly misleading. lol

Real question is this I guess - With Win7 being EOL and myself thinking I should move to Win10, do I keep the current hardware since it handles everything I need it to (objectively) OR do I *need* to upgrade the hardware for Win10 security compatibilities with more modern chipsets, etc??
I can agree with that. While I do like playing with new toys, spending money pointlessly has never been one of my hobbies.

To the best of my knowledge, Nehalem-era stuff should still be OK on Win 10. The primary requirement seems to be lots of HDD/SSD space. Microsoft's CPU support page is... rather lacking in detail. But from the looks of it, any "Core i-Something" CPU is OK. Seems like they don't officially support the Core 2 and earlier CPUs, but there are apparently people using them with Win 10.

Unless something major is revealed, I don't think Windows 7 will be any more vulnerable in two weeks than it was last month. Probably not even in six months, although that will depend on browsing habits. It's never easy to predict, though; some of the most intelligent people I've ever met failed to learn the basic "do not open unsolicited e-mail attachments" lesson, even after a couple of fairly catastrophic infections. Fortunately this was before network-hopping ransomware really became a thing.

If you are really that worried but don't want to move to Windows 10 (have to admit, can't really blame you) grab another SATA SSD, install a Linux distro and dual boot. Run Windows 7 for games and whatnot, and Linux for browsing etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 10:19 PM
PC Enthusiast

Rep: 47 (Unique: 35)
*If* I upgrade it's definitely AMD/AMD this round.

It's still a question of whether I *need* to upgrade the hardware to support better security features of the OS (Win10) that may or may not be suited on this chipset... that's my real question. And purely out of narcissism in a computing sense.

I'm not after speed increases, I'm not after DX12, I'm not after NVMe support or USB3. In fact I still use eSATA for most data transfers beyond 500MB anyways, plus I have 2 (albeit older less speedy) USB3 ports on this platform.
You don't know what you don't know.

I said the same thing to a friend who was on an i7 950 & in the same boat as you. But his motherboard was dying, so an upgrade was inevitable

His PC ran pretty great for him, But after hesitantly spending the money & switching to a 3600x with 3600Mhz memory, NVME drive etc... The grin on his face said everything.

It's a pretty budget friendly upgrade, IMHO definitely not a pointless expenditure.

PolaRyz
(15 items)
Venomous FX
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x
Motherboard
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
GPU
Asus GTX 1060 6Gb
RAM
Hyper X Predator 3000Mhz 32gb
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256 GB
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000DM003
Hard Drive
Toshiba DC01ACA300
Power Supply
SeaSonic S12G 750w 80+ Gold
Cooling
Phanteks TC14PE
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
LG 23MP68VQ
Monitor
LG 23MP68VQ
Mouse
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Mouse
Steelseries Qck Mass
CPU
AMD FX 8350
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA Gaming
GPU
XFX R9 290 DD
RAM
G.Skill RipjawsX 16GB [4x4GB] 1600MHz CL9 @1.5v
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 256 GB
Hard Drive
Seagate ST1000DM003
Power Supply
SeaSonic S12G 750w 80+ Gold
Cooling
Phanteks TC14PE
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Dell ST2420L
Monitor
AOC e2243Fwk 21.5"
Mouse
Razer Deathadder Chroma
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK Mass
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in