Seeking Ryzen Upgrade path suggestions. - Page 19 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Seeking Ryzen Upgrade path suggestions.

post #181 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
https://download.freedownloadmanager.../FREE-3.2.html

I has a link, it's free and works. Hmm, I usually use a 60-day version but can't upload it.

There's a 90-day 1 too, but it doesn't free cache after using.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 356 (Unique: 219)
I'm building my system to use it not fiddle around with installing the os, drivers, games and other data every 30 - 90 days jeesh come on man, you're killing me smalls.

post #183 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 705 (Unique: 564)
With modern ssds, there's no need for RAID and it will introduce driver headaches.

I used to run a 4-disk RAID 10 on an m4a89gtd-pro. I made it happen. It's even harder with the drivers these days.

I ran a dedicated RAID card on this setup b4..the performance difference is not worth it.

Broke it up and have 3 SSDS for storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 07:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 616 (Unique: 300)
Quote: Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post
5 generations of overclocking AMD on them. CrossHair was best from 1-5....what's changed?

For one thing, they have the good IR mosfets. Another is a very nice BIOS.

Same kinda mosfets as on Giga SOC Champion. Best quality.

I have the "TUF" X570 and like the Crosshair X470 better. Compared to CrossHair, TUF has potato BIOS.

It's adequate, but I would have had to use a CMOS jumper 3x today.

You're gonna have real fun with your Windows. Took me like 5 hrs to get USB working.
I recommended the TUF B450 Plus Gaming to a friend of mine. I only recommended it based on price but TUF isn't even a shadow of what it used to be, it's a zombie. Those 990FX boards were amazing, current TUF is rubbish and their BIOS abysmal.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faraz1729 go_quote.gif
Haha, Liranan, you creep.

Tacitus - The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. - Cree Indian Proverb
post #185 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I got the Ram kit delivered yesterday 2x16gb ddr4 3600 and the motherboard and an NVME? Should arrive sometime today. Hopefully the parts are all good and the os install goes smooth so I can verify my hardware with AMD and get the 2 free games that came with the cpu.

Last edited by N2Gaming; 02-15-2020 at 09:30 AM.
post #186 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Just ordered the Noctua NH-D15 Chromax and I also ordered the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive R/W 3500/3000MB/s SSD (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C)

post #187 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post
So what do I need to do in order to max out cpu temps so I can see and compare the temps from the currently installed Zalman 9700 vs. the Noctua NH-D15? Looking for app's that will max out cpu temps with out making me worry too much about the auto settings in my bios causing any over volting and causing problems with the cpu later on down the road. I know from what I've read that the Ryzen cpu's will throttle performance based on temps. I'm interested in seeing how much better this New Noctua NH-D15 actually works at keeping the cpu cooler than stock HSF or this older go to Zalman 9700 I currently have installed. It'll also be nice to see any discernible differences in performance due to temperature variances based on the utilized cooling solution.
Idea's please...

post #188 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 492 (Unique: 276)
Quote: Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post
Idea's please...
For ultimate temps running the overly long sandra suite will show higher temps than most other programs .

For a short duration test that shows the differences in performance due to better cooling Cinebench R20 multicore is great for that on the Ryzen 3xxx's due to how boost is affected by temps.

For the most consistent results prime95 at default settings for at least 20 minutes with air cooling or an hour for water cooling is good.

Hwinfo or Ryzen master for measuring temps.

EDIT: for temp testing , a static voltage and frequency is best - I would use that for p95 , the others you might run 2X one with default settings to measure cooling effect on scores the other with static values.

Last edited by cssorkinman; 02-20-2020 at 10:55 PM.
post #189 of 189 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Great. I havn't even begun to dive into all the voltage tweeks yet. I'm kind of having fun just letting this thing rip in All Auto settings with XMP ram settings enabled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in