Seeking Ryzen Upgrade path suggestions. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Seeking Ryzen Upgrade path suggestions.

post #21 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 356 (Unique: 219)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 492 (Unique: 276)
Quote: Originally Posted by N2Gaming View Post
Oh she's pretty.
Kind of an attention monger, but she runs sooooo nice.

I would say there isn't much difference between the feel of my gen 1 and gen 2 ryzens, but the 3 is a clear step up in responsiveness/smoothness in gameplay.

post #23 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok I think for GPU I might go into the Used market for a GTX 1080Ti not sure on specific make/model yet. Any known brands or models with in the brand to stay away from? This would be a good option for what I'm looking to do right?

Still on the fence about the cpu but the 3600 or 3600x is looking better and better when I start adding up the total cost to upgrade all at once. I like the idea of being able to use the GPU with 3 monitors and upgrade the CPU later before they are dropped completely. Playing the waiting game for newer/better/faster etc can be a real Crap shoot though at times with pricing.

So far I am liking what I am seeing with the MSI Unify. The ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E looks like a decent rival to the Unify. Still have to look at some more mobo's before I know for sure which one I want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:07 PM
CS+EE Alumnus

Rep: 214 (Unique: 172)
I don't really see why you're still bothering with X570 if you aren't even going to take advantage of PCIe 4.0. If you were planning on upgrading to a 3900X or 3950X and want to overclock those, then sure the higher current handling capabilities on the power delivery circuitry on some of the high-end X570 boards compared to B450 is worthwhile but otherwise it seems like you're just burning money for no reason. The good B450 boards can handle all of the 8 core parts no problems (and some can even handle the 12 or 16 core parts).

As for the 3600 vs the 3600X, just get the 3600. If you really care for the frequency difference, just overclock it.

We don't know what the status for AM4 support is past 2020 since AMD only promised until then.

Last edited by HybridCore; 01-29-2020 at 10:10 PM.
post #25 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

HC Maybe I should just hold out and see what 4xxx delivers and at what price point. I did just say I plan to upgrade the cpu later well maybe. having the ability to upgrade to pcix 4.0 at a later point in time is nice to have should I cross that road in the future.

post #26 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:27 PM
CS+EE Alumnus

Rep: 214 (Unique: 172)
I'd probably just wait for Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000) especially if your current system isn't bothering you that much yet. I don't forsee PCIe 4.0 SSDs becoming particularly affordable for probably another 3-5 years and that will also ride on which direction NAND prices go.

Unless you know for sure you're going to take the Ship of Theseus approach (upgrading parts of the build here or there) that can actually take advantage of whatever currently unused capabilities you have, it's worthless to spend money on these things. PCIe 4.0 is currently one of those and will remain so for awhile.

Going the way of the Ship of Theseus is a pretty annoying thing to do because you constantly have to also spend time selling whatever you're replacing and with things like drive swaps you also need to waste time doing data migration. If you keep both drives it just becomes the hell that's multidrive management.
post #27 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 343 (Unique: 284)
Ok I think for GPU I might go into the Used market for a GTX 1080Ti not sure on specific make/model yet. Any known brands or models with in the brand to stay away from? This would be a good option for what I'm looking to do right?

Still on the fence about the cpu but the 3600 or 3600x is looking better and better when I start adding up the total cost to upgrade all at once. I like the idea of being able to use the GPU with 3 monitors and upgrade the CPU later before they are dropped completely. Playing the waiting game for newer/better/faster etc can be a real Crap shoot though at times with pricing.

So far I am liking what I am seeing with the MSI Unify. The ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E looks like a decent rival to the Unify. Still have to look at some more mobo's before I know for sure which one I want.
I won't argue that the high end x570 boards aren't quality, but IMO the B450 MSI Pro gaming for around 100$ performs the same and is perfectly good for your use case. The VRM thing is true, but if you are going to use a six core processor and not bother to overclock it (and on this generation or Ryzen, I wouldn't bother either), the VRMs on a good B450 board will hold up just fine.

Just so you are aware, most of the used 1080 ti were in mining rigs. I personally don't think that matters at all, but some people don't like the idea of their used card coming from a 24/7 setup like that.
post #28 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 12:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 492 (Unique: 276)
I would mention this about the 3600 I have. At stock with the 360mm aio and the rather high end motherboard, it has managed to capture many high scores at benchmarking websites for the particular cpu. BUT when I try to an all core overclock, it's very very stubborn and runs very warm with added voltage.
I don't remember what batch number it is. I bought it off the shelf at a local best buy - what ever that's worth.

Not sure if theres any data out there on non X 3600 binning but I don't think mine would run all core at 4.2 ghz - can't push enough voltage without running out of thermal headroom.

post #29 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 12:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 874 (Unique: 637)

The difference in price between the the 3600 and 3600X has come down from like 75$ to 25$. The latter, i think, even has a better cooler. Every bit of MHz helps.

Yep, the X version has the Spire, which decent while waiting for a better cooler. Just replace the stock paste with something like MX-4. I use the Spire on my R7 2700.

[email protected] 6 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2211392 4.6 @ 4 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2216580
5.0 @ 8 http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2511322
2nd AMD Build
(10 items)
CPU
Motherboard
X470
GPU
RAM
3200 CL14
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Case
Operating System
10/64
Monitor
40 1080
Keyboard
M100
▲ hide details ▲
post #30 of 189 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 07:37 AM
The Challenger

Rep: 290 (Unique: 127)

Honestly, I see little reason to go for a 1080Ti at this point. You can find a new 5700XT with warranty, and free games, for the same price as a second hand 1080Ti that has no warranty and probably has been used for mining. Performance is for practical purposes the same. Some people are complaining about its drivers, but most of the time it's either a botched driver installation for whatever reason, or, there's a niche use where things are not optimal. The cards can also run three monitors fine. If you turn on virtual super resolution with three monitors your framerate will tank though, so, make sure that is turned off.

As for the CPU, you have to consider whether you're willing to upgrade it in a year or two. If you are, you're better off buying either a 1600AF, 2700(X), or 3600 with the thought of upgrading later. This is a great deal for example.
If you're not willing to upgrade in a year or two, you can either go for the big guns now, i.e. the 3900X or the 3950X, which are relatively expensive, or wait to upgrade when the 4000 series is released. The latter has the risk that prices of other components will shift as well, although I don't expect graphics cards to become more expensive than now.

As for the motherboards... The above choice influences what your best option is. To me, like I said before, 10 years is a long time and you're better off having PCI-E 4.0. Don't forget the X570 Taichi I mentioned. It's in the same tier as the MSI Unify and the ROG STRIX X570-E. Other X570 motherboards that can be considered to be in this same range are the Gigabyte Aorus Master, the MSI Creation, the Asrock Phantom Gaming X. You have to look at which features of the motherboards suit you the best.
If you're not going to overclock, nor ever going to use 12/16 core CPUs, and still want X570, you'll do fine with an Asrock X570 Steel Legend for example. Use this as a reference for your needs;
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...ntly-amd-only/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in