First AMD build looking for advice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

First AMD build looking for advice

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Windows 10 Gamer

Rep: 46 (Unique: 38)
First AMD build looking for advice

I have been an Intel guy from way back in the late 90's when a friend and I built two separate computers with comparable parts but mine was Intel and his was AMD, and he became jealous when he realized my system was quite a bit faster than his....lol.

Now that it seems like AMD is finally starting to outpace Intel I have decided on AMD for my next build.
I am coming from a 4930k on a Rampage IV Black Ed MB and it is about time I upgraded.

I am currently looking at paring the 3950x with an Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) MB. FYI, it was an Asus tech that recommended going with the 3950x over the upcoming i9 10900k for a few reasons.

But I have been told that I need to look for B die RAM to get the best performance out of the AMD chip. Then I found this G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series that is supposedly designed better for AMD systems (not sure how true that is though) and I am not sure if I need to look for B die RAM or not with this.

I will be going with just 32gb to start with but will probably get another 32gb of RAM down the line. In the old days it was not the best option to get RAM that didn't have the same bin number but I have been told that has changed with DDR4 and that different bins will work together just fine.

I will be upgrading my cooling to the Swiftech H360-X2 once they get back up and running after this crisis is over.

I will be transferring my PSU and all my drives (and anything else that needs to transfer) to this new system along with getting some more larger NVME drives at a later date. You can see my current build in my sig.

Please correct me where needed.

One last thing is that I will be probably going through the ordering process either this next weekend or the one after.

EDIT: it seems the Asus ROG Crosshair X570 that I picked out is sold out everywhere. It seems I'm not the only one who liked that board. I doubt those will be back in stock anytime soon so now I have to find a comparable board from a company that has just as good customer service as I had with Asus.

The Dark Knight
(25 items)
CPU
i7 4930k
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX 3.0
RAM
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Hard Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 7200RPM
Hard Drive
San Disk Ultra II
Hard Drive
Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD
Optical Drive
LG Blu Ray 16x Multi Disc
Power Supply
EVGA G2 1000w Gold Plus
Cooling
Swiftech H 240-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Clean Acrylic
Cooling
Swiftech H 140-X
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Nickel/Black 1070
Case
Phantom 820 Black
Operating System
MS Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Vizio 24" 1080p TV
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24" 1ms (GTG) 144 Hz Gaming Monitor, NVIDIA G-SYNC
Keyboard
Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Mouse
None
Audio
Sound Blaster Zx
Audio
Logitech z906 5.1 surround speaker system
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
NZXT Grid+ V2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Madmaxneo; 05-10-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Looks like a good plan, personally the Crosssair and the Taichi X470 were one of the best X470 motherboards out there, I would look into the Taichi as well.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 26)
Cant really give much advice without knowing what you want to do with the computer.

I use a 3900x for production/VMs and gaming. Its more cpu than I can use even though I do a lot of thread programming. So, is the 3950x is either an overkill eye candy (perfectly good reason) or something you need for production?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in