Need some Phenom/Phenom II advice - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need some Phenom/Phenom II advice

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
A while back I bought a Gateway GT5676. I know, I know, stock pre-builts have issues with inabilities to upgrade certain things - like how the foxconn rs780 Mobo has the hardware to support RAID but the BIOS doesn't. But this post isn't about RAID, it's about processors.

This thing came stock with an AMD Phenom 9600. Now, I've been having some issues that, from digging around on the web, seem to deal with hotfixes that underclock the processor and/or how certain creative programming leads to lag due to poor interaction with the chip's architecture. Solutions to said problem appear to be 3rd party hotfixes that don't work under Windows 7 - or upgrading the processor.

Now, what I'd like to upgrade to is a Phenom II x4 920. However, there may be an issue of mobo wattage being insufficient (hence, why I'm bringing this up on an Overclocking forum). PSU isn't a problem (I've a 700 watt installed). I just don't know enough about this to know if there will be problems by getting this chip.

So, my question is - can this be made to work and, if so, how painful of a process is it going to be?

(BTW - my next machine is going to be total scratch built - I just won't have the cash for that anytime soon).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 378 (Unique: 272)
http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...6272Rsp2.shtml
there really shouldn't be any problems, but it's more likely than not, that your motherboard is locked against any CPU over 95W TDP.

And the official specs say no way it's happening

However, the PII 910 is a 95W chip... but does your BIOS support?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I found one report that the BIOS would be confused to what it was, but it would work with it anyways. As for the Watt lock, anybody know a way to pick it?

Looks like an AM3 processor can work in an AM2+ slot (as AM3s have DDR2 controllers and it fits)...a Phenom II X4 945 might work, then, as it works at 95w.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in