Amd cpu? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Amd cpu?

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Whats a good AMD CPU for a budget of 100-120?

Thats easy to overclock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 179 (Unique: 154)
My man. The Heka tri-core x3 is a baller gaming cpu, 6mb of l3 cache split 3 ways, but you'll need an aftermarket cooler, or ask someone here for their stock am3 cooler. If you're doing encoding, editing, or transcoding theres the Propus x4 quad processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-652-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-702-_-Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-John-o go_quote.gif
Only on OCN can a topic which is indeed searching for another topic about a wallpaper, include topics such as male "seed", heatsinks, extreme winter cooling (the canada open a window comment), trolling, sarcasm, and the philosophy that is internet text communications.
OCN FINAL FANTASY CLUB!!! OCN Scandinavian Club! I PROMOTE HARD DRIVE SHORT-STROKING
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hrmm.. for a gaming pc. May you list some?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM
OOF

Rep: 155 (Unique: 127)
The AMD Phenom II X2 550
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkevinpham View Post
Hrmm.. for a gaming pc. May you list some?
Edited my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
The AMD Phenom II X2 550
Actually they just released the Phenom II x2 555, I hear it's wicked since it's a locked c3 revision of the Deneb quad. You could also go for that op but it's dual core, however you will be able to obtain higher OC's and it will be easier to stabilize.

Quote:
Only on OCN can a topic which is indeed searching for another topic about a wallpaper, include topics such as male "seed", heatsinks, extreme winter cooling (the canada open a window comment), trolling, sarcasm, and the philosophy that is internet text communications.
OCN FINAL FANTASY CLUB!!! OCN Scandinavian Club! I PROMOTE HARD DRIVE SHORT-STROKING
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

AMD Phenom II X3 720

has an unlockable 4th core am i correct?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
AMD Phenom II X3 720

has an unlockable 4th core am i correct?
Sort of. Some boards that offer ACC and Hybrid support are able to -potentially- unlock a 4th core, however it's not guaranteed. But either way, the Heka Tri-core is one of the best gaming processors around, period. You can't go wrong with it. Also, it has an unlocked multiplier.

Quote:
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Athlon II x4 2.6?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobergump View Post
Sort of. Some boards that offer ACC and Hybrid support are able to -potentially- unlock a 4th core, however it's not guaranteed. But either way, the Heka Tri-core is one of the best gaming processors around, period. You can't go wrong with it. Also, it has an unlocked multiplier.
Oh. Well I'm new to this AMD stuff. All I remembered about CPU was that the higher the ghz the better and that quads were the best for AMD. Till I joined this forum I heard about unlocking cores so it dropped my knowledge about CPU's a lot. What is a multiplier? and is this a good combo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131402
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Oh. Well I'm new to this AMD stuff. All I remembered about CPU was that the higher the ghz the better and that quads were the best for AMD. Till I joined this forum I heard about unlocking cores so it dropped my knowledge about CPU's a lot. What is a multiplier? and is this a good combo?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131402
Yeah it's definitely nice, 790 northbridge is the way to go, plus that board offers crossfire, which means you can put 2 graphics cards of the same kind and have them working in sync for better performance.

About the quad core thing... sort of. The reason I recommended the Tri-core was because it has l3 cache which is a nice feature if you're gaming.

The quad I posted would also fare well with games, just not as good as the tri-core. However, for multiple applications open and heavy programs such as encoding and what not the Quad will do better. I'm not saying the quad can't run games, as it will do just fine.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in