[Experiment] Overclocking the Linux OS through the sysclt /proc/sys & /sys/block and other settings - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Experiment] Overclocking the Linux OS through the sysclt /proc/sys & /sys/block and other settings

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 389 (Unique: 296)
This isn't about overclocking hardware; but in the nature of this site and since we have these options in Linux I figured why don't we try to tune them.

So here's the goal: Provide explanations(explain it like I'm 5 versions if possible), default values if applicable, and then tunings for (latency/responsiveness or throughput/compute or a combination lowest latency with highest throughput if possible)

I'll start off with my likely incorrect script for tuning these things and if you guys have better explanations, know a better value or something else (like I'm stupid and you see my values are completely wrong tongue.gif) just post the changes needed and I'll update as I can.

So here we go...this is a script with all I'm tuning right now. Additions and criticisms welcomed.
System Tuning.sh (Click to show)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#If you wish to make this load on startup add it to /etc/rc.local
#Example addition to rc.local "sh /home/$USER/$NAMEOFTHISSCRIPT.sh"
#Make sure you update the location in rc.local if you move the script
#chmod +x to enable this script for startup in rc.local use

#############################################################################################################
#This is the system tuning part. Be very careful as you can cause locks,panics,and other things that require
#...rebooting to clear. Again not likely safe for battery usage.
#############################################################################################################

#First is the timing settings for normal processes under the default scheduler
#Given value was 1000000 default was 18000000
#Higher value increases higher priority normal process CPU time
#100000 is lowest value it accepts
#Period over which CFS tries to fairly schedule the tasks on the runqueue. 
#All of the tasks on the runqueue are guaranteed to be scheduled once within this period.
#echo 100000 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_latency_ns

#Given value was 100000 and default was 2250000
#Default value should be 1/2 sched_latency_ns? but lowering this increases preemption occurance
#Tasks are guaranteed to run for this minimum time before they are preempted.
echo 100000 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_min_granularity_ns

#Given value was 25000 and default was 3000000
#Higher value helps compute but harms responsiveness
#If larger than 1/2 of sched_latency_ns then CPU hogs will block most tasks
#1000 seemed best so far; 0 is lowest setting it accepts and makes things very responsive
#Ability of tasks being woken to preempt the current task. The smaller the value, the easier it is for the task to force the preemption.
#The lower this is the better the latency and throughput of RT tasks.
echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns

#Second is the CFS scheduler settings
#NEW
#Messing with the CFS scheduler settings
#default was 5000 and I think lower is better for RT?
#1000, 500, 250, 50, 10 works; 1 is lowest
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_cfs_bandwidth_slice_us

#NEW
#Not sure about this one but I think lower is better for RT?
#default was 1000; 500, 125, 50, 10 works; 1 is lowest
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_time_avg_ms

#Third is RT scheduling settings
#Given value and default was 1000000
#Period in microsecs in which bandwidth enforcement is measured 
echo 1000000 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_period_us

#Given value and default was 950000
#At it's default of 950000 RTs can take 95% of CPU usage/sec
#Setting this to -1 disables RT bandwidth enforcement and isn't recommended unless you're sure you'll avoid blocks/locks
#990000 worked best so far
echo 990000 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us

#How long the Round Robin timeslice is?
#lower better for latency/rt?
#default was 25
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rr_timeslice_ms

#Fourth is the migration settings (AKA moving processes)
#How many tasks can be moved by the softirqs
#A higher #(32 is default) helps normal processes but hurts RTs?
#128,256 worked best so far
#Red Hat says 2 should be the highest setting.
#Maybe set this to the # of cores available?
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_nr_migrate

#How long can a process be idle before being considered movable to another core (cache change issue?)
#lower better for RT but worse for compute?
#50000 default; 25000 ok 10000 seems to harm max download speed but reduces latency
#lowest so far 100; can accept 1 but that might be too much harm on compute even if it helps RT/latency
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_migration_cost_ns

#Fifth is message/memory settings for processes
#The larger you make msgmax with fewer msgmni the greater the quality effect on media becomes
#Example; try a 2097152 (2MB) setting for msgmax compared to a 8192(8KB AKA default) setting.
###Another idea is seeing what happens when you match the msgmnb to CPU cache size and msgmax to per core cache?
######msgmax#####
#How much data can flow through between processes in one message/transfer
#CANNOT be larger than the msgmnb (AKA total message que size which is default 16384)
#default is 8192 (bytes or 8KB) or half of the default msgmnb que
#Lower is better for RT/responsiveness but higher is better for media quality with low msgmni
#if you want to try MBs then it is desired #ofMB x1024^2
#####msgmnb#####
#maximum allowable total combined size of all messages queued in a single given System V IPC message queue at any one time, in bytes
#default is 16384 (bytes or 16KB) and should generally be no less than 2x msgmax
#Lower is better for RT/responsiveness but higher is better for media quality with low msgmni?
#####msgmni#####
#Maximum number of messages per queue
#default was 24026;IIRC Red Hat recommends 16 when msgmnb is 16384 thus it seems to suggest msgmnb/msgmax=msgmni;

#Try to balance RT needs with throughput by lowering message size and queue size while having about 4-8k #of messages?
echo 1024 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 2048 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 8192 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni

###Set it to 4MB with 16MB total queue size of 4####
#echo 4194304 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 16777216 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni

###Try matching msgmni with /sys/block/sd*/queue/nr_requests?
#echo 8192 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni
#Shared Memory Settings
#For my 12GB I have 12599627776 bytes
#Recommended value is total RAM in bytes x .9 / shmni
#For me that would be 12599627776 x .9 / 4096
#This uses pages as its unit so that's why you divide by how large a page size (shmni default is 4096) is
#echo 2768473 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmall

#Now for the maximum size of a single shared memory segment in bytes
#Supposedly setting this to 50% of RAM was good but I'll set it to 25% max
#So I have 12GB thus 12599627776 x .25
#echo 3149906944 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

#Sixth is the vm (memory related) settings
#VM sections
#Enables complete cache clearing set to 3
#Enables just pagecache clearing set to 1
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

#default was 5; given was 95 (good for battery systems)
#A higher value means a higher percentage of RAM or cache is held before a write?
#Higher values dangerous for systems without backup power?
#At 0 apt-get update/upgrade doesn't work
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
#USE A SPECIFIC AMOUNT INSTEAD OF %; ONLY ENABLE THIS IF THE dirty_background_ratio IS NOT TOUCHED
#Set it to the cache of the drive you have or maybe the 1second throughput of the drive?
#Set as desired #ofMB amount x1024^2 (or x1024 for KB)
#64MB = 67108864
#Perhaps set this to half of dirty_bytes?
echo 67108864 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_bytes

#default was 10, given was 95 (good for battery systems)
#A higher value means a higher percentage of RAM or cache is held before a write?
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
#USE A SPECIFIC AMOUNT INSTEAD OF %; ONLY ENABLE THIS IF THE dirty_ratio IS NOT TOUCHED
#Set it to the cache of the drive you have or maybe the 1second throughput of the drive?
#128MB=134217728
echo 134217728 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes

#How old data has to be before writeback daemons write to disk
#Given and default was 500; 250,125 and even 1 worked
#lower better for RT? but stresses disks (SSD worry?) and battery
#echo 50 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_writeback_centisecs

#How old dirty data has to be before written to disk
#Given was 750 but default was 3000; 500,250, and even 1 worked
#echo 75 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_expire_centisecs

#Default is 100 and that will force the system to clean cache of dentries and inodes
#<100 and the system holds them longer; >100 and it cleans them faster
#echo 50 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/vfs_cache_pressure

#Schedule Domain settings
#These seem to be balancing focused. Affects both SMP and NUMA systems but probably more important for NUMA
#No CPU balancing until over watermark
#Default was 125 and units are in %
#Seems lower values help latency/responsiveness which is counter to what has been claimed
echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/imbalance_pct

#Maximum balance interval ms
#Default is 4 and I'd assume that smaller values would be better for latency
echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/max_interval

#Minimum balance interval ms
#Default is 1 and that's the lowest it will accept
#echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/min_interval

#Leave cache hot tasks for # tries
#Default is 1 and 0 is the lowest setting but higher might benefit latency
echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/cache_nice_tries

#Block/disk settings
#Supposedly a negative effect on latency for higher numbers but I've found the opposite is true
#default was 128; 4096 is recommended for throughput;
#using sd* edits all attached disks IO scheduling to this value
#setting this to 1 should automatically set it to the lowest value allowable which was 4 for me
#Perhaps the minimum is the number of cores you have?
echo 8192 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/nr_requests

#Readahead settings
#sudo blockdev --setra 32768 /dev/sda
#sudo blockdev --getra /dev/sda
#sudo blockdev --setra 32768 /dev/sdb
#sudo blockdev --getra /dev/sdb
#sudo blockdev --setra 32768 /dev/sdc
#sudo blockdev --getra /dev/sdc

#USE THESE ONLY ON DEVICES/SYSTEMS USING DEADLINE I/O SCHEDULING
#Best to use lower values for latency and higher for throughput
#The number of read or write operations to issue in a single batch
#A higher value can increase throughput, but will also increase latency
#default is 16; 8,4,1  was last good value
#setting this to 0 supposedly disables OS IO schedulers and uses the device's NCQ instead
#perhaps this should match /sys/block/sd*/queue/nr_requests ?
#echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/iosched/fifo_batch

#The number of milliseconds in which a read request should be scheduled for service
#default is 500 or .5 seconds; 250,125 was last good value
#Perhaps a higher value is fine when fifo_batch and nr_requests are small?
#echo 1000 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/iosched/read_expire

#The number of milliseconds in which a write request should be scheduled for service
#default is 5000 or 5 seconds; 2500,1250,500 was last good value
#echo 2000 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/iosched/write_expire

#The number of read batches that can be processed before processing a write batch
#The higher this value is set, the greater the preference given to read batches.
#default is 2 or 2read batches:1write batch
#echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/iosched/writes_starved

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 574 (Unique: 277)
There's quite a lot of good documentation on performance tuning the kernel here. Particularly for stuff like servers (a lot of TCP/IP tweaks out there!) Anyhow, I didn't spot the obvious one: vm.swappiness (lower is means Linux swaps less).

Most distros these days support sysctl, which saves you echoing to the virtual file systems. eg:
Code:
sysctl vm.swappiness=10

I'd also do away with all your sudo and instead prefix your script with something like
Code:
if [ "$EUID" -ne 0 ]; then
    echo "Error: Please run as root."
    exit 1
fi
Since nothing on your script would run without root access anyway, you might as well just force the script to run as root.

And lastly, and sysctl settings that do give your a performance boost, make sure you put them in /etc/sysctl.conf or /etc/sysctl.d/overclock.net.conf rather than trying to daemonise this script to run on init.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Thanks for the tips...I guess I left out the swapiness setting because it seems I had already set it to zero.

Also, would you happen to have a specific link/source for explanations as I'm failing at finding anything good or more recent than the 2.6 branch. I often find guides that either only talk about the same limited options or they just explain "this is sysctl; here's how to use it; have fun". redface.gif

And yes, most are focused on servers, oracle dbms, or just talk about the networking stuff (almost all of what I find being recommended is so old it's now the default settings of those things). My main goal was really to find things that would matter more to end users or that we could adapt to specific end user goals like latency, responsiveness, and/or throughput/compute power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 574 (Unique: 277)
Most of the settings I've found were on github, but I'll have a dig tonight if I get time smile.gif
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Most of the settings I've found were on github, but I'll have a dig tonight if I get time smile.gif

Would love for some more sources and hopefully more updated/fully covering everything in these tuneable locations and sysctl ones. thumb.gif

But as of right now after some testing this week I've come across the best combination out of the settings in the script I provided so far. Not sure why these work the best together but they cut another 3ms off my network latency (which had already after the RT/priority work gone down from about 45/40ms to 30ms) and no longer harmed the max throughput of it along with maintaining my desktop latencies (as best I can understand them from the output of latencytop) while having no other noticeable side effects.

The best I've got so far though not sure why it works so well (PS I have it as a script right now just because I want to make it something not permanent and easier for people to just test out):
Systemtunning.sh (Click to show)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#This is the system tuning part. Be very careful as you can cause locks,panics,and other things that require

#All of the tasks on the runqueue are guaranteed to be scheduled once within this period.

#Default value should be 1/2 sched_latency_ns? but lowering this increases preemption occurance

#1000 seemed best so far; 1 is lowest setting it accepts and makes things very responsive
#Ability of tasks being woken to preempt the current task. The smaller the value, the easier it is for the task to force the preemption.
echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns

#NEW

#NEW

#Setting this to -1 disables RT bandwidth enforcement DONT DO IT!!!

#default was 25

#How long can a process be idle before being considered movable to another core (cache change issue?)
#50000 default; 25000 ok 10000 seems to harm max download speed but reduces latency
#lowest so far 100; can accept 1 but that might be too much harm on compute even if it helps RT/latency

#The larger you make msgmax with fewer msgmni the greater the quality effect on media becomes
#Example; try a 2097152 (2MB) setting for msgmax compared to a 8192(8KB AKA default) setting.
###Another idea is seeing what happens when you match the msgmnb to CPU cache size and msgmax to per core cache?
######msgmax#####
#CANNOT be larger than the msgmnb (AKA total message que size which is default 16384)
#Lower is better for RT/responsiveness but higher is better for media quality with low msgmni
#####msgmnb#####
#maximum allowable total combined size of all messages queued in a single given System V IPC message queue at any one time, in bytes
#default is 16384 (bytes or 16KB) and should generally be no less than 2x msgmax
#####msgmni#####
#default was 24026;IIRC Red Hat recommends 16 when msgmnb is 16384 thus it seems to suggest msgmnb/msgmax=msgmni;
####Default settings####
#echo 8192 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 16384 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 24026 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni

###Set it to split CPU L2 cache in 4 128KB msgmax, 512msgmnb, 4 msgmni###
#echo 131072 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 524288 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 4 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni
###Set it to split CPU L2 cache in 2###
#echo 262144 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 524288 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 2 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni
###Set it to 4MB with 16MB total queue size of 4096####
echo 4194304 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 16777216 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni

#Shared Memory Settings
#This uses pages as its unit so that's why you divide by how large a page size (shmni default is 4096) is

#VM sections

#USE A SPECIFIC AMOUNT INSTEAD OF %; ONLY ENABLE THIS IF THE dirty_background_ratio IS NOT TOUCHED

#USE A SPECIFIC AMOUNT INSTEAD OF %; ONLY ENABLE THIS IF THE dirty_ratio IS NOT TOUCHED
echo 67108864 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/dirty_bytes

#Default is 100 and that will force the system to clean cache of dentries and inodes

#These seem to be balancing focused. Affects both SMP and NUMA systems but probably more important for NUMA
#Higher values help latency/responsiveness?
echo 1000 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/imbalance_pct

#Default is 1 and that's it's lowest setting but higher might benefit latency
echo 32 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/cache_nice_tries

#Block/disk settings
#Negative effect on latency for higher numbers
#default was 128; 4096 is recommended for throughput; 64,32,16,4 works good for latency
#setting this to 1 should automatically set it to the lowest value allowable which was 4 for me
#echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/nr_requests

#setting this to 0 supposedly disables OS IO schedulers and uses the device's NCQ instead

#The number of milliseconds in which a read request should be scheduled for service

#The number of milliseconds in which a write request should be scheduled for service

#The number of read batches that can be processed before processing a write batch
#The higher this value is set, the greater the preference given to read batches.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Well I've done goofed...seems the guides I read were crap about 2 settings:

This what I've found works best compared to the previous settings of 1000 and 1 respectively.
Code:
echo 25 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_domain/cpu*/domain*/imbalance_pct

Compared to the 1000 and 1 I had prior things improved about 2 more ms overall in network and throughput was massively helped. I have no idea why I only find bad sources on the virtual filesystems but I'm embarrassed with my failed Google fu in this department...even Red Hat has come up empty for me. I'm updating the first post with my current discovery.

Ironically, I stumbled upon these changes when I noticed how horribly laggy and stuttery (frequent FPS changes) in L4D2 was before I made these changes. Still can't figure out why every now and then L4D2 does a glitch/stutter but I'm thinking it has to do with the whole writing the cache from vfs to disk. I guess 64MB is still a bit too big of a setting. I'll tweak that later. Wish I could set it to 0 but boy does apt-get hate that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Updated. Seems, I'm getting better latency results and throughput doing the opposite of what Red Hat said in several spots. headscratch.gif

I ran both networking tests (speedof.me) and latency top along with a simple file test I've had and all improved as of the current form of the script. Makes no sense. General responsiveness and media quality are better as well. Just headscratch.gif
Current form (Click to show)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#1000 seemed best so far; 0 is lowest setting it accepts and makes things very responsive

#NEW

#NEW

#Setting this to -1 disables RT bandwidth enforcement and isn't recommended unless you're sure you'll avoid blocks/locks

#default was 25

######msgmax#####
#####msgmnb#####
#Lower is better for RT/responsiveness but higher is better for media quality with low msgmni?
#####msgmni#####

#Try to balance RT needs with throughput by lowering message size and queue size while having about 4-8k #of messages?
echo 1024 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 2048 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 8192 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni

#echo 4194304 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmax && echo 16777216 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmnb && echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni

###Try matching msgmni with /sys/block/sd*/queue/nr_requests?
#echo 8192 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/msgmni
#Shared Memory Settings

#VM sections

#64MB = 67108864

#128MB=134217728

#Seems lower values help latency/responsiveness which is counter to what has been claimed

#Block/disk settings
#Supposedly a negative effect on latency for higher numbers but I've found the opposite is true

#Readahead settings

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Current update that's working pretty good. Still testing and still trying to find explanations of some of these settings. Particularly, things like scheduling, shared memory, and migration.

Here's the current settings that have helped me:
Nov. 3,2014 best settings (Click to show)
Code:
#!/bin/sh

#Maybe increasing it works better than decreasing it?

#NEW

#NEW

#999999 worked best so far
echo -1 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_rt_runtime_us

#default was 25

#echo 4 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sched_nr_migrate

######msgmax#####
#####msgmnb#####
#####msgmni#####
#Try matching msgmni with /sys/block/sd*/queue/nr_requests?

#Shared Memory Settings
#Recommended value is total RAM in bytes x .75 / shmmni
#For me that would be (12599627776 x .75)/4096
#echo 2307061 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
echo 1153530 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmall

#default is 32MB or 33554432
#Supposedly setting this to 50% of RAM was good but I'll set it to 25% max and 128MB is what I'm finding works best
echo 134217728 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

#The max number of shared memory segments
#default is 4096; maybe try to match msgmni, fifo_batch, and nr_requests?
#echo 4096 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmni
echo 8192 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/shmmni

#VM sections

#64MB = 67108864

#128MB=134217728

#This is the semaphore or synchronization settings
#See their settings using the ipcs -l command
#defaults 250     32000   32      128
#Lower is better for latency and audio quality but higher seems better for video/games and compute
#Or 4096     16384000   4096      4000
#Or 8192     65536000   8192      8000
#Or 1024     1024000   1024      1000
#Or 128     16000   128      125
#The first and last numbers must multiply to equal the second number
#It's been recommended that the first and third numbers be equal while maintaining the other relationships
echo 128     16000   128      125 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/sem

#Block/disk settings

#Readahead settings

echo 8192 | sudo tee /sys/block/sd*/queue/iosched/fifo_batch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in