Linux Gaming Circa 2017 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Linux Gaming Circa 2017

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
10 year OCN Vet

Rep: 392 (Unique: 230)
Gaming is stated as the number one reason Windows users either don't try Linux or dual boot at best. Nobody can say Billy is stupid. He realized gaming is a very important area to control and that's exactly what proprietary Direct X was designed to do - shut everyone else out. Thankfully OpenGL stepped up and Gabe Newell championed Linux by in essence becoming Gordon Freeman and fomenting The Resistance to "The Combine" that is the world of Windows. How goes the resistance? It is not only gaining traction it is exploding and doing that with only limited participation by Linux users largely because many, even some Linux users, assume Linux isn't "Game Ready".

This is just a sample but do check this out --- Thirty-Five ( 35) Great Steam Linux Games for 2017 ---

Here's hoping more learn what is happening, try a few, and discover for themselves how low latency and superior TCP/IP stack, not to mention memory management and CPU support, improve real gameplay.

Just FTR I don't care if people migrate to Linux or not. I'm fine with it as a niche system for tech geeks and I definitely don't want Linux to become "Free Windows". I would, however, very much like to see myths exploded and Linux get it's just deserts.

! GAME On !

Compone Accomoda Supera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 82 (Unique: 46)
I just switched my sig rig over to Debian minus systemd after 20+ years with MS OS. I used to make (simple) games in BASIC on DOS, raze cities in SIM CITY on 3.1, then Dark Forces on Win 95, GTA and GTA2 on Me...

I'm looking forward to trying Europa Universalis IV and Transistor soon as I get everything sorted. It was ten minutes into mprime before I realized the CPU's PWM fan control is set to "whimper" instead of SCREAM WHEN IT BURNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuell 
Ignorance is bliss. But then someone finds you and beats the crap out of you.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
10 year OCN Vet

Whoa Petrol... Nice! I have 2 installs for Steam - one native Linux and one for wine for those few games that aren't ported yet. Between the three I have no lacking for good games to play at superb levels of performance. FWIW I really like wine-staging and expect it will become the new default very soon.

Compone Accomoda Supera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

I've given up on the Windows-only games for the time being, Steam seems to not be encumbered by any systemd or PA dependencies so that's good, though I hate the platform so going forward I think I'm going to just put my money where my mouth is and stick to GOG.com. TBH I'm going to miss World of Warships and I didn't really want to abort my Windows install but I went to great lengths to disable updating ever since they started hyping Win 10 and I just found out MS still somehow pushed an update to my box recently. I have no need for such malware.

Quote:
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
10 year OCN Vet

I've been playing WOTLK on private servers for going on seven years and still play almost daily for hours at a time. Wine-Staging does a terrific job with very little custom work and not installing IE or any specific MS web apps minimizes any attack surface. I've never once had a compromise of any kind.

FWIW here's my simple launch command to get the most out of nVidia
Code:
__GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine `home/WoW-Shared/wow.exe renice -20

It runs great with about 10-15% less network latency than in Win7 and identical FPS at the same extreme settings

Compone Accomoda Supera
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hehe I said Warships not Warcraft smile.gif True they are both MMOs but the thing I like most about the Warships one is it doesn't involve countless hours of grind like most MMOs do :S

Quote:
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
10 year OCN Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post

Hehe I said Warships not Warcraft smile.gif True they are both MMOs but the thing I like most about the Warships one is it doesn't involve countless hours of grind like most MMOs do :S

Ooops! Guess I need to go back to World of Warcrack rehab! Apparently I'm still obsessed. biggrin.gif

Compone Accomoda Supera
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yea, my MMO addiction was EvE but same kettle of fish really, an enormous time sink!

Quote:
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 AM
Debian Dude

Rep: 165 (Unique: 117)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post

Yea, my MMO addiction was EvE but same kettle of fish really, an enormous time sink!

It still can be. It's not official, but one of the EVE developers maintains an EVE Online port that works well. It's a native launcher that maintains and runs an isolated wine wrapper.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Yeah I noticed that, I'm hesitant to install WINE atm but might give it a go if I can understand better how it implements the Windows APIs

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in