Overclock.net banner

Taking a (GPU) Pulse

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Traches 
#1 ·
I'm currently looking to upgrade my GPU, an NVIDIA GT-430 (yes, you read that correctly). My monitor's resolution is 1080p, although I may upgrade to 1440p at some point in the near future. I'm currently playing WoW although this will expand out to newer games once I have the GPU.My current list of candidates (based on price) is:

(BNIB) Sapphire RX580 8GB Nitro+
(eBay) EVGA GTX980Ti FTW
(eBay) EVGA GTX1070 FTW ACX
(eBay) EVGA GTX1070Ti SC ACX 3.0
(eBay) Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse

Obviously, anything on this list will be a massive upgrade for me, but can anyone share their experiences with these cards under Linux?

Many thanks. :)

#2 ·
I don't have much experience with Linux but the few times I've dabbled AMD driver support has always been far more user-friendly than NVIDIA's. I haven't installed a Linux distro outside of a VM for nearly a decade so maybe don't listen to me, though :eek:

But I wouldn't even a consider a RX 580 if you're intending on upgrading to 1440p in the somewhat near future. It's a great 1080p card, but not so much for 1440p.

#4 ·
I have a RX480 and it does fine in 1440p with most Linux games (Steam/WINE). No, it can't do ultra ridiculous high with eye melting AA filters and 60+ fps, but high is more than playable.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
From what I know Nvidia doesn't care about Linux. And from these cards V56 is the fastest with a possibilty ofr flashing to V64. But I don't know what determines the eligibility.

#6 ·
Hi,
I know plenty of people using nvidia gpu's in linux
Heck I used one to for a short time I used mint mate 17.2 I believe it was
Would probably still if linux hadn't borked my mx100 ssd into uselessness and rma land :)

Device manager showed several different or at least 2 different nvidia drivers.

#7 ·
I run Arch linux with a 1080ti... nvidia plays just fine with linux. I play at 4k and max settings. The games I play are Doom 2016, 60fps@4k max settings runs awesome... Dark Souls 3 in 45-55fps@4k windowed max settings runs pretty damn good on Proton... Hellblade at 4k max settings 35-45fps... runs alright. In windows Doom is the same performance, Dark Souls runs at 60fps, Hellblade runs 45 to 60fps in windows. So pretty close.

#10 ·
@thread

Many thanks for they replies, it's appreciated. :) I'm kind of leaning towards AMD at the moment, but I'll not discount NVIDIA just yet.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Yeah, I'm aware of that, in terms of raw performance. For 1080p gaming, its a toss-up between the RX580 and the GTX1060. However, I'm willing to dip into the second hand market, which is why the GTX980Ti is also in the conversation. Having read some more concerning Linux and Vega, I might pass on Vega this time around and stick to mid-market cards (price-wise). :)

Actually I have a question concerning the GTX980Ti: does anyone know which card has the superior Vulkan performance - GTX980Ti or RX580?

#13 ·
Another AMD recommendation checking in. I'm running an RX Vega 56 on Arch and it's as plug and play as any other hardware component. I have given exactly zero thought to graphics drivers beyond 'pacman -S mesa'. Nvidia works, but they're dicks about their drivers. It's not just philosophical - it means that other projects don't support nvidia the way they support AMD. Sway (wayland tiling window manager) makes no attempt to support nvidia cards, for example.

If you're buying a card to run on Linux and you care about anything other than raw performance per $, you really want to look into AMD cards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.