Hard Lockups With Vega 56 & Newer Kernels - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Hard Lockups With Vega 56 & Newer Kernels

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 272 (Unique: 213)
Hard Lockups With Vega 56 & Newer Kernels

Background
My host machine is a Ryzen 7 1700 running KDE Neon 18.04 LTS with kernel 4.15.0-45-generic. I recently took delivery of a Pulse Vega 56, updated Mesa to 18.3.3 from the Padoka PPA (stable) and installed libvulkan 1.1.70 from the Bionic repo.

Issue
I decided it would be an good idea to upgrade the kernel using UKUU (stable kernels only). I first tried kernel 5.0. It benched well in Unigine Valley, but when using tkg Wine Staging 4.0 with DXVK 1.0, I get a hard lock when Battle Net logs in and then attempts to display its main window. I then tried kernel 4.20 and got the same result. Same again for kernels 4.19 and 4.18. These kernels work fine in Unigine Valley (which uses OpenGL) but hard lock in Wine (DX11->Vulkan). Kernels 4.17 and 4.16 scored very low in Unigine Valley (35fps @ 1080p) so I didn't bother testing them further.

Has anyone experienced hard locks in this scenario? Is there a known issue between Mesa 18.3.x and kernels newer than 4.15?

Thanks.

EDIT
I have libvulkan 1.1.97 installed, but the DXVK HUD shows vulkan 1.1.70.

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Palit GT-430
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Hard Drive
Western Digital RE3
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
Linux Mint 18.x
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by parityboy; 03-09-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 368 (Unique: 230)
I honestly doubt this will be of any help to you. I had issues with my ryzen 2500u vega 8 APU laptop when i first got it back in december with ubuntu 18.10. I tried building a new kernel for it, and grabbing ppa's with update stuff, but the performace was just horrendous, black screens, flickering, green/purple lines that would run horizontally across the screen. I honestly thought it was a hardware issue, sent it back into HP. they checked it out and it was working normally. when i got it back, i installed the testing branch of ubuntu (what will become 19.04) and i am not sure what was in there, but all my problems went away. it runs like a champ now. added a better 2x8gb ddr4 2400 kit to it, put in a sata 3 m.2 drive, and the thing is a beast now. doesn't play very many games well, as the vega 8 isn't really a strong gpu, but it is better than the iGPU found on intel cpu's.

I follow the Sociopath less travelled.
Linux going mainstream, Great, now I gotta use BSD.

Customize a Ubuntu Kernel

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 301 (Unique: 220)
If in doubt about the hardware... test it on Windows. As far as Linux issues with various software it needs to run to get Win apps to work... good luck debugging that can of worms.
If even native apps on Linux don't work with that GPU, you've got bigger problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in