Any Linux master with knowledge of SSD recovery commands? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any Linux master with knowledge of SSD recovery commands?

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I posted in SSDs, but ultimately it came down to repair under Linux and people in the SSD part of the forum recommended to raise the issue here:

I upgraded to an nvme and decided to use the Sandisk Dashboard Secure Erase on my "old" SanDisk Ultra II 960Gb SSD. The drive is out of warranty as of sometimes January 2019 and now is May 2019. The SanDisk Dashboard showed 94% of life remaining right before Secure Erase. Secure Erase started, went quite quickly and then showed a success message, then the SSD suddenly disappeared. I don't see it in the Windows device manager, I don't see it in the Disk management and I don't see it in UEFI.

In Windows it can only be seen during Windows installation as a 0Mb drive (disk0 in Diskpart). The Diskpart command "clean" works, but "clean all" or "create partition primary" throws errors "The System Cannot Find the File Specified", while CMD accepts bootrec /fixmbr, but shows Access Denied in /fixboot. Anyway, I was suggested to address this in the Linux part of the forum.

In Linux Mint (the only Linux I tried about 10years ago) I used fdisk -L, gparted and gsmartcontrol and in all cases the SSD didn't show up. The only thing showing up in Linux is that ata2 (or ata4 or ata7 - depending on which sata controller I connected it to), showed "comreset failed" etc. I cannot use "hdparm" command method, to unlock a password (aparently SanDisk password protects its ssds upon failed Secure Erase), because there is no /dev/sdX address for the drive. I've tried anyway, from sdb to sdg, no luck.

I have no clue if it makes sense to insist on saving this SSD, but I guess someone with better knowledge may give me a proper answer?

I am not trained in Linux whatsoever, this is all suggested or poking fingers into what I think might be the "right thing" and googling bits and pieces, so if anyone knows how to deal with such cases help, please!

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Linux error 1.png
Views:	15
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	270466  

Name:	Linux error 2.png
Views:	11
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	270468  

Name:	Linux no sdX.png
Views:	11
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	270470  

I am your father?

Last edited by DarthFK; 05-19-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'd appreciate at least someone to reply, please.

I am your father?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 54 (Unique: 44)
Hi,
Had a hdd die wasn't ever able to figure out how to wake it up back when win-10 put it to sleep

https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...lder-hdds.html

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
Insignia 2.0 soundbar HSB318
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
If the drive is not seen in UEFI, fdisk -l or any other means of showing it.. my guess its probably dead.

It has been said that if you place an infinite amount of monkies by one typewriter each, one of them will eventually write a literary masterpiece. The Internet has proven that this is not the case.
Machine
(16 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2
GPU
MSI GTX 970
RAM
G.Skill 8GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic P660
Cooling
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Case
Define S
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.1
Monitor
XL2411Z
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
G203
Mousepad
Qpad
Audio
Objective 2 ODAC
Audio
Sennheiser HD600
Audio
Samson Go Mic
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Had a hdd die wasn't ever able to figure out how to wake it up back when win-10 put it to sleep

https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...lder-hdds.html
One thing seemingly in common is that in both cases it was the software that created the problem. That much is clear. Anyone with Linux knowledge ever sent you a message? I just couldn't find Linux advise on that forum, except "use Live CD and it may reset the HDD" which is not my case, unfortunately.

Quote: Originally Posted by IaVoR View Post
If the drive is not seen in UEFI, fdisk -l or any other means of showing it.. my guess its probably dead.
Any idea about how that COMRESET error that I attached the picture of in my 1st post of this thread - except the obvious 'ata not responding' - can help me into a more in-depth Linux troubleshooting? Any other way to determine the UUID on such a drive? As another user was pondering - might UUID (or might not) be helpful in the troubleshooting process in Linux?

I am your father?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 54 (Unique: 44)
Hi,
Lots of commands but way over my head
Only linux I've ever used and it's been quite a while is mint mate 17.1 or so
Helped me once on a easy tasks here

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...lit=ThrashZone

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-99400x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's b-die default timings 16-16-16-36
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
Audio
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's b-die default timings 14-14-14-34
Hard Drive
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Audio
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
I have never used an ssd, but my only suggestion is to use an ide adaptor on it with an older system to attempt to format it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFK View Post
One thing seemingly in common is that in both cases it was the software that created the problem. That much is clear. Anyone with Linux knowledge ever sent you a message? I just couldn't find Linux advise on that forum, except "use Live CD and it may reset the HDD" which is not my case, unfortunately.

Any idea about how that COMRESET error that I attached the picture of in my 1st post of this thread - except the obvious 'ata not responding' - can help me into a more in-depth Linux troubleshooting? Any other way to determine the UUID on such a drive? As another user was pondering - might UUID (or might not) be helpful in the troubleshooting process in Linux?
The comreset error is simply the system waiting on the drive.. and after a few failed attempts it gives up.
Did the secure erase require you to hibernate your computer prior to erasing it? I'm asking because when I secure erase my drives "hdparm" will complain about the drive being frozen.

It has been said that if you place an infinite amount of monkies by one typewriter each, one of them will eventually write a literary masterpiece. The Internet has proven that this is not the case.
Machine
(16 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2
GPU
MSI GTX 970
RAM
G.Skill 8GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX500 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic P660
Cooling
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
Case
Define S
Operating System
Linux Mint 19.1
Monitor
XL2411Z
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
G203
Mousepad
Qpad
Audio
Objective 2 ODAC
Audio
Sennheiser HD600
Audio
Samson Go Mic
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by IaVoR View Post
The comreset error is simply the system waiting on the drive.. and after a few failed attempts it gives up.
Did the secure erase require you to hibernate your computer prior to erasing it? I'm asking because when I secure erase my drives "hdparm" will complain about the drive being frozen.
Hi IaVoR, comreset giving up was clear. It was verified on my son's PC and it resulted in the same comreset message. So, of course that meant that the chipsets are fine, but the SSD is locked or dead, but Windows was initializing slow, so I thought it may not be dead. What I wasn't clear was - if any of that info can help me find and use UUID maybe after that to revive/unbrick it?

The Secure Erase was within Tools section of the Sandisk Dashboard, a proprietary software for the Sandisk SSDs (I used the latest version and my firmware was updated). It's a Windows exe file. Dashboard did not require me to hibernate upon Secure Erase. Dashboard initially performed the Secure Erase, then showed success message, then the SSD vanished and here I am...

Currently the drive is not seen by fdisk or gparted or any linux, I only get the comreset messages and some other errors. The only place I can see it is the Windows install, as drive0 with 0mb.

Here is what "lshw -class disk -class storage" shows - see the picture attached.

Anyone any ideas if I can re-initialize (fix) this drive?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-05-21 04-40-52.png
Views:	10
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	270678  

I am your father?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 250 (Unique: 200)
That SSD is almost certainly dead.

I had exactly the same Sandisk Ultra II 960GB die on me as well about two and a half years ago. Booted the PC up one day to an extremely slow POST and getting taken straight to Windows (I had a dual-boot setup at the time and GRUB and Linux were on the Sandisk SSD, Windows was on a different one) after days of testing with USB docks, other PCs and other methods of testing - one system could see it, but reported as 0MB - I gave up and admitted that the drive was dead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in