Any old Linux heads still around? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Any old Linux heads still around?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist
 
Xaero252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,032
Rep: 198 (Unique: 147)
Any old Linux heads still around?

Life kinda threw me some curveballs and my time for hobbies has basically been null until recently. I know Shrak (and myself) more or less dropped off the forum shortly after the Huddler move.
(coming back now, I can see this was a wise decision. The intrusive advertisement placement and lack of proper functionality for the forum is kind of sad.)

This forum seems pretty inactive, so maybe we can all say hello again to give it some life?

Syrillian: Man, Legend, Meme.
Xaero252 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:48 PM
Gamer
 
kgtuning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,896
Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
Quote: Originally Posted by Xaero252 View Post
Life kinda threw me some curveballs and my time for hobbies has basically been null until recently. I know Shrak (and myself) more or less dropped off the forum shortly after the Huddler move.
(coming back now, I can see this was a wise decision. The intrusive advertisement placement and lack of proper functionality for the forum is kind of sad.)

This forum seems pretty inactive, so maybe we can all say hello again to give it some life?
Hello good sir, Yes this forum has definitely slowed way down. I usually check in every day or every few days.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
kgtuning is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist
 
Xaero252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,032
Rep: 198 (Unique: 147)
Yeah, I was checking in from time to time all the way through 2017, and made a couple of posts in 2018 but after the huddler move and some aggressive moderation towards Linux posts I think the majority of our community members departed. Pretty sure last time I was active you were still active staff ;-) 2019/2020 seem like they could be excellent years for Linux, so maybe we'll see some new faces around these parts!

Syrillian: Man, Legend, Meme.
Xaero252 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Gamer
 
kgtuning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,896
Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
Lets hope. The more the merrier.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
kgtuning is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Linux Lobbyist
 
parityboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 192.168.13.37
Posts: 3,713
Rep: 272 (Unique: 213)
@OP

I'm still around, but nowhere near as active as I used to be. I suspect the moves to/from Huddler pushed away a lot of people, but I also suspect that the combination of Reddit & YouTube is drawing a lot of people away from this forum (and others like [H]).

Anyway, welcome back.

Ryzen
(16 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-AB350M Gaming 3
GPU
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Hard Drive
Storage Array
Power Supply
Seasonic PRIME 1000 Ultra
Cooling
AMD Wraith Spire
Case
Fractal Design Arc Mini R2
Operating System
KDE Neon 18.04 LTS
Monitor
Dell UltraSharp U2414H
Keyboard
Dell SK-8185
Mouse
Logitech Trackman Wheel
▲ hide details ▲
parityboy is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Overclocker
 
JackCY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,991
Rep: 339 (Unique: 240)
It's also due to the fact that OC has gone mainstream, products ship OCed out of factory and all it takes is load a profile or run manufacturer's auto OC app.
The lack of evolution of forums also takes it's toll especially when they upgrade backward. People will rather watch a video tutorial from another amateur on YouTube on their phone than go talk and learn on forums etc.
You can see the phone infestation even on forum here since there was the bugged mobile OCN version, no idea why people browse forums on a tiny screen, but there seem to be plenty.
JackCY is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist
 
Xaero252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,032
Rep: 198 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
@OP

I'm still around, but nowhere near as active as I used to be. I suspect the moves to/from Huddler pushed away a lot of people, but I also suspect that the combination of Reddit & YouTube is drawing a lot of people away from this forum (and others like [H]).

Anyway, welcome back.
It's good to be back, fwiw. If I can stay around this time lol. And yeah, the huddler thing was a mess, this current platform seems pretty messy as well. We definitely don't have the personal touch of the days when this was Admin's baby. It still seems like a solid community overall, even if PC gaming and modding has hit the mainstream and is starting to leave it.

Quote: Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
It's also due to the fact that OC has gone mainstream, products ship OCed out of factory and all it takes is load a profile or run manufacturer's auto OC app.
The lack of evolution of forums also takes it's toll especially when they upgrade backward. People will rather watch a video tutorial from another amateur on YouTube on their phone than go talk and learn on forums etc.
You can see the phone infestation even on forum here since there was the bugged mobile OCN version, no idea why people browse forums on a tiny screen, but there seem to be plenty.
Yeah, a lot of things in the PC and Internet world have changed. The hobby has taken a turn for the worse imho. The internet is more locked down and less useful than it ever has been. A lot of the things that are worth optimizng or experimenting with are locked behind paywalls or being made impossible intentionally. I tried to buy a generic, full profile keyboard for my work desk - all I could find were "mechanical gaming keyboards" at the ~$60+ pricepoint or cheap chiclet keyboards with membrane switches. The amount of customization and flexibility is being artificially limited and it's awful. One of the reasons I want to go back to running Linux full time. I got promoted, and moved states and hopefully the new position will alot me the free time to do so. Not sure yet though, it seems to have a lot more breathing room as far as time goes, but my cost of living has increased substantially, so even though I'm making more - I'm not sure I'm actually taking home more... But there is still room for wage increases and further upward movement from this role, so I feel good about the change either way.

Weird to see myself talking like some old man all of a sudden haha. Hopefully the new generation of internet users will have that same drive for customization and optimization as they get into their late teens, early twenties that we all had and we start seeing great big things again.

Syrillian: Man, Legend, Meme.
Xaero252 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 AM
BOINC Cruncher
 
Diffident's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bawlmer, MD
Posts: 1,564
Rep: 98 (Unique: 66)
Quote: Originally Posted by Xaero252 View Post
Hopefully the new generation of internet users will have that same drive for customization and optimization as they get into their late teens, early twenties that we all had and we start seeing great big things again.
I doubt it. The new generation does everything on a phone. It's been 2 years since this happened but, I was doing a lighting retrofit in an office building one night and I saw the Windows XP screensaver running on one computer. When I told the two young guys I was working with, they looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. Phones are the new PC's.

Team Boinc! - Forum Folding War Team
Gentoo Linux - Telemetry Free Since 1999!
Washington Capitals 2018 Stanley Cup Champions
Boinc Desktop
(15 items)
CrunchAholic
(10 items)
NAS
(7 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
AMD Radeon VII
RAM
HyperX Predator
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVOPlus
Power Supply
EVGA 850 G2
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller IV PRO AM4 CPU Block
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream XE 240 Radiator
Cooling
EKWB Coolstream PE 360 Radiator
Cooling
Watercool Heatkiller 150mm Tube Res
Case
Thermaltake View 31 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
Monitor
Alienware AW3418DW
Keyboard
Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2670
Motherboard
Asrock Rack EP2C602
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
GPU
EVGA 1070ti FTW
RAM
64 GBs Samsung M939B1K70CHD-CH9 PC3-10600R
Hard Drive
Samsung HD322HJ
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200
Case
Rosewill RSV-L4000
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
CPU
i3-4130T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI
RAM
CORSAIR CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 10 TB x3
Hard Drive
Western Digital Red 8 TB
Case
Fractal Design Node 804
Operating System
Gentoo Linux
▲ hide details ▲


Diffident is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:06 PM
⤷ αC
 
AlphaC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11,175
Rep: 904 (Unique: 590)
Technically phones are low power PCs with 4G/5G connectivity instead of just WIFI/LAN.


People don't mind locked down hardware/software. If you look at the Apple iPads and iPhones they sell better than PCs generally do. In Asia and outside of the USA, Linux-based devices (Android) have more market penetration.

► Recommended GPU Projects: [email protected] , [email protected] (FP64) (AMD moreso) ► Other notable GPU projects: [email protected] (Nvidia), GPUGrid (Nvidia) ► Project list


AlphaC is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist
 
Xaero252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,032
Rep: 198 (Unique: 147)
Quote: Originally Posted by Diffident View Post
I doubt it. The new generation does everything on a phone. It's been 2 years since this happened but, I was doing a lighting retrofit in an office building one night and I saw the Windows XP screensaver running on one computer. When I told the two young guys I was working with, they looked at me like I was speaking Chinese. Phones are the new PC's.
We just took on a contract for a customer that has PBX phone systems and emulates IBM mainframes. The guys in the field are going absolutely mad because "this stuff is too old"

That's actually the most common complaint I would hear in the field.
"Yeah well if we could get some new equipment. This stuff is from like the 80s." - referring to devices designed in 2015/16, manufactured in 2017, and deployed in 2018. That's pretty "bleeding edge" for the environment if you ask me lol.

It's a sad state of affairs. The market has become stagnant, competition between the involved parties has become nil so there's no push for further advancement. I never thought I'd see a day where storage technology was advancing faster than CPUs. I know we're just in a low period of activity, it's not normal for the advancements to come year after year like they have for the last decade and a half.
Software seems to be healthy still, and so are other technical fields (3d printing, ai, etc.) just not the mainstream PC world. Linux keeps moving forward, sometimes at a shocking rate... but the recent moves by microsoft to aquire various linux-related things and implement linux-like featuers has me concerned.

Syrillian: Man, Legend, Meme.
Xaero252 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off