PerlMon - CPU-z like program for linux - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PerlMon - CPU-z like program for linux

post #1 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 433 (Unique: 232)
Get latest version here!

Well I've been working on this project off and on for two months now and I finally feel like its good enough to release.

This is my attempt at making a CPU-z like program for linux. I still got a lot of work planned for it, including better hardware support (ATI and Intel video info), more CPU info, and other sysadmin related info.

Let me know what you guys think. If you find any bugs, post them, and I'll try to work them out.

Unpacking PerlMon

To un-pack file, you can type in the terminal:
unzip PerlMon*.zip

Installing PerlMon
*As of release 0.2.0 Perlmon must be installed before you can run the script.*
In the terminal:
cd /path_to/PerlMon-*/
sudo perl Installer

Graphically:
Thanks to reset3x and DigitalSonata for working together to figure this error out.
If you're using xarchiver make sure you are preserving the directory structure when you extract the files. You need to check off Extract files with full path.

If you get an error then check to make sure the dependences are installed, and if then report the bug.
For more info on anything you can look in the README file.

.deb package

reset3x has been kind enough to make a .deb package for PerlMon that you can get from here.

If you have any questions feel free to PM here, or send an email to perlmon.linux at-sign gmail dot com.

If you use a distro that perlmon doesn't reconize, then let my know and I'll add the support to the perlmon. All I ask is please provide the name of the the file that contains the release info (usually DISTRO_NAME-release or DISTRO_NAME-version under /etc) and if the file is more than one line long, let me know what the inside of the file looks like (this is to make sure perlmon produces a readable output for the distro info).

Update: Aug. 4, 2007

Well after taking the last two weeks off, I've started to work on release 0.2.0. A few minor 0.1.# releases will come along the way.
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!
(0.1.0 downloaded 224 times!)

Update: Aug. 6, 2007

Release 0.1.1 is out! A few changes since 0.1.0. Distro support for Enlisy added and the bug with text mode and Gtk2 fixed. Also Glib.pm is no longer a dependancy. This release is based off of 0.1.0 and not 0.1.0-2, so if anyone has the issuse with Settings.pm, please let me know, same goes with any other bugs you find.
(0.1.1 downloaded 420 times!)

Update: Oct. 8, 2007

Release 0.1.2 is out! Just a few more changes on 0.1.1. Distro.pm package rewritten and divide by zero error fixed in Memory.pm. Like always if you find anything wrong, let me know! Enjoy! (Note the size of the new package!)
(0.1.2 downloaded 912 times!)

Update: Oct. 13, 2007

Release 0.13RC1. For details and to download the package, you can go here.

Update: Jan. 26, 2008

Release 0.1.3. Get package and details here.

Update: Feb. 9, 2008

Release 0.1.4. Get package and details here.

Update: May 31, 2008

Release 0.2.0. Go here to get.

"UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

"Beware of idiots working for Red Hat, for a single such obnoxious moron can *cough* up the wider Linux software ecosystem." - Alan Cox (Alan's new OS -> FUZIX OS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 76)
BRAVO!!!! Who's better than you for supporting the Linux community? I'll give it a spin!!!

post #3 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 150 (Unique: 76)
I followed the readme and I got this:

[email protected]:~/PerlMon-0.1.0$ perl perlmon
Can't locate ./settings/Settings.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at HD.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at perlmon line 30.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at perlmon line 30.
[email protected]:~/PerlMon-0.1.0$

I had Perl 5.8.8 installed by default with my distro (Xubuntu 7.04) but not in /usr/local/share... It does appear in the other directories...

Just to let you know my Linux knowledge is intermediate at best so if you think this may be over my head and too frustrating for you too help out- No prob.... But I would like to help you out if I can...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I re-uploaded the original version, and added a second one that should solve the error 'cannot locate Settings.pm' if you get that.

Its a package I made, and want to put it in a certain loacation, if that causes a problem, then so be it.
The second package should fix it for you though.

"UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because that policy would also keep them from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn

"Beware of idiots working for Red Hat, for a single such obnoxious moron can *cough* up the wider Linux software ecosystem." - Alan Cox (Alan's new OS -> FUZIX OS)

post #5 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 701 (Unique: 432)
Just downloaded and ran it, worked perfectly. Great job, dangerous.

20110813 - RIP

Take me out into the black, tell them I ain't coming back.
Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.
post #6 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 08:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 206 (Unique: 143)
wow I love it You deserve a whole pack of cookies for you hard work , guess the best i can do is give you a rep+

Works like a charm. Is it possible in the future to get it to display ram timings,htt speed etc. ala a64info or cpu-z? What about incorporating mprime for stability testing.

Mine look teh suck compared to yours though

#1 - The first rule of Infraction Club is, you do not talk about Infraction Club.
#2 - The second rule of Infraction Club is, you DO NOT talk about Infraction Club!!

Basically Random Idiotic Terrible Insanely Stupid Humour
post #7 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by biatchi View Post
wow I love it You deserve a whole pack of cookies for you hard work , guess the best i can do is give you a rep+

Works like a charm. Is it possible in the future to get it to display ram timings,htt speed etc. ala a64info or cpu-z? What about incorporating mprime for stability testing.

Mine look teh suck compared to yours though
I'm working on adding more info like that to it.

It looks different b/c the gui was written in Gtk2, and your in KDE, and Gtk apps like different under KDE then say Gnome or Xfce. This is b/c your kde is set to use the default Gtk theme on its Gtk apps. The image I posted looks different b/c its running in XFce.

post #8 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 898 (Unique: 371)
That's awesome. Now make it work with windows so I can try it.

FOLD FOR OCN - TEAM 37726
OC Settings: 4800mhz 100x48, 1.4500 vcore, 1600mhz Mem 9-9-9-24, 1200/1600 GPU @ 1.26v.
post #9 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 643 (Unique: 391)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvaL View Post

Why not give linux a try and take a look at this while you're at it?

post #10 of 376 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 845 (Unique: 497)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvaL View Post
That defeats the purpose

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in