Linux Hardware Guide - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Linux Hardware Guide

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 1516 (Unique: 918)
This is a short guide to getting various common pieces of hardware to work in Linux. I say it's short because almost everything is going to work out of the box or with minimal setup. There are a few notorious exceptions which I'll note and hopefully this will help you have a better Linux experience.

As with the Software Guide I'll focus on the two most popular Linux distributions, Fedora and Ubuntu.

CPU

Linux supports all current and future CPUs from Intel and AMD, barring any significant architectural changes (and if that happens, Linux will change too).

Linux is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions; most distributions will give you the option of downloading 32-bit or 64-bit versions. Going 64-bit is strongly recommended if you have a recent CPU with 64-bit capability as it will improve your performance even if you have less than 4GB of RAM. A few non-free 32-bit apps need some help to work on 64-bit Linux; see the Software Guide for details.

Motherboards

Linux runs on nearly every motherboard in existence. On some "budget" motherboards, some features may be missing or not working (e.g. hibernation). Such failures should be reported to the kernel maintainer for the non-working feature. You should also check the HAL Quirk Site for possible solutions for suspend/resume, multimedia keys, and laptop backlights.

Hard Drives/Storage

Linux supports virtually all IDE, SATA, SCSI, SAS, Fibre Channel, NAS, RAID, iSCSI, and just about anything else you can buy.

Linux supports Intel ICHxx, JMicron and NVIDIA nForce motherboard RAID, as well as many others, using the dmraid driver. (RAID 5 is only supported on NVIDIA chipsets.) However, some distributions don't include the dmraid driver in their installers; if you're in this scenario try Fedora instead. Hardware RAID cards have much better support, including RAID 5 if the card supports it. (NOTE: Motherboard RAID support is broken in Fedora 10 and Fedora 11. It should be working in Fedora 12.)

Linux supports full-disk encryption. Install using Fedora 9 or later or Ubuntu 8.10 or later.

To use motherboard RAID or full-disk encryption with Ubuntu, you must install using the "alternate" CD.

Optical Media

Virtually every CD/DVD reader/burner ever manufactured is automatically detected and configured for you. For those of you with antique hardware, you may have to manually configure burners manufactured before 2001 or so which don't support the MMC 3 or later standard.

Support for Blu-Ray readers/burners also exists, though movie player software is preliminary and not expect to be complete (i.e. ready for noobs) for a while yet. See the Software Guide for more information.

Wired Networking

Linux supports virtually every Ethernet (10, 100, 1000, 10Gig) adapter that has ever been on the market. It's unlikely you'll be able to find a wired Ethernet adapter that doesn't work, except perhaps ironically the Killer NIC, but who's going to buy that?

Wireless Networking

This is the piece of hardware that gives new Linux users the most trouble. Support for wireless adapters has been slower in coming because of government restrictions on how wireless radios can be programmed and how programming information can be distributed.

Nevertheless, most 802.11a/b/g wireless network cards, and some draft-n cards, are supported out of the box.

For those cards that aren't yet supported, it's usually possible to locate an experimental driver or a workaround to get the card at least minimally working. However, the technical skill needed to do this is sometimes beyond the ability or patience of new Linux users.

It's strongly recommended, then, that you check your existing wireless card for Linux compatibility, or buy a new wireless card known to work, before installing Linux. The most compatible wireless cards use Intel chipsets; next best are Atheros chipsets. Broadcom chipset support has improved recently so these can also be used now. Ralink chipsets, and others not listed here, are hit-or-miss.

Bluetooth is supported out of the box for audio, networking and file transfer.

Sound

Most sound cards are at least minimally supported in Linux. In some cases you may find they're better supported in Linux than in Windows as Linux will often expose some secret mixer controls which your Windows driver did not want to give you access to. This is especially true of onboard sound chips.

As of this writing the X-Fi and cards based on it such as the Auzentech Prelude are not well supported. Experimental drivers from Creative exist but are apparently rather difficult to install. Hopefully these will improve over the next few months.

Video

Linux supports onboard video out of the box. Intel onboard video has 2D and 3D support built in. Linux also has basic 2D support for ATi and NVIDIA cards. Early work is underway on a free 3D driver for ATi cards. To get accelerated 3D support, you will need to install the manufacturer's Linux driver for your ATi or NVIDIA card. See the Linux Software Guide below for details.

TV Tuners/HTPC

Most analog TV tuners are supported out of the box. You may still wish to check for compatibility before buying if this is important to you.

CableCARD tuners are not yet supported. But you can't buy them alone either, so...

Most infrared remote controls are supported out of the box. Configuring them could be problematic; Fedora has a wizard which makes setting up your remote much easier.

Keyboards/Mice

Linux supports the multimedia keys on most keyboards out of the box. If your multimedia keys don't work, check the HAL Quirk Site for a fix. Certain keys which are meant to be reprogrammed can be assigned to specific tasks; see your GNOME, KDE or other window manager documentation for details.

Linux supports the basic functions of virtually all mice, including vertical/horizontal scroll, side buttons, etc. Programmable mice may need special software to use those functions.

Conclusion

Having hardware that works with Linux can make or break your first Linux experience. Hopefully this guide has given you the info you need to get Linux working with your existing hardware or get the right hardware so that everything goes smoothly for you.

For more detailed information, you can also check Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists, Linux on Laptops, and the (slightly outdated) Linux Hardware HOWTO.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now am an MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert! graduated.gif
Sorry, I'm unable to provide technical support in private messages.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 640 (Unique: 440)
On the video section:

An up-to-date Linux distro will have "out of the box" 2D/3D support for almost any Intel chip, 2D/3D on ATI cards pre r5xx, and 2D on nearly all nvidia chips. Beware that the 3D support for both Intel and ATI chips is somewhat limited (OpenGL1.3-1.5 depending on the chip). Still, these drivers are good enough for movie playing, light 2D/3D gaming, and even Compiz; a regular Linux user should be happy with these FOSS drivers.
If you run newer cards (or nvidia cards), you plan to run games with WINE, or make regular use of OpenGL2.x+ features, it is best to stick with the proprietary drivers.

Magicbox
(18 items)
CPU
Ryzen 7 1700
Motherboard
GA-AX370-Gaming K7
GPU
RX 480 Nitro+
RAM
Corsair Vengeance
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Hard Drive
HyperX 3K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda
Power Supply
EVGA G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Cooling
Morpheus II
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Operating System
Kubuntu 18.04
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Dell U2515H
Keyboard
CM Storm QuickFire TK
Mouse
G502
Mousepad
G440
Audio
Xonar DX
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

True. But not all distros include the ATi/NVIDIA proprietary drivers. I got into more detail on how to install those in the Software Guide so I didn't feel like writing it all out again.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
I did error10's Windows Challenge and I now am an MCSE: Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert! graduated.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 222 (Unique: 156)
Check the Software News section. Creative just released the X-Fi drivers for Linux.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post
Check the Software News section. Creative just released the X-Fi drivers for Linux.
Cool. I don't have an X-Fi, though, so I'll wait to hear from others how well they work and how painful (or painless) the installation is.

EDIT: Well I checked that thread (I had to go look for it! I never read the news section.) and it appears Creative just finally open sourced the driver. So it looks like they've finally given up on trying to do it themselves. Now thousands of Linux-using X-Fi owners get to make it work. Looks like it's currently quite crashy, so I can't recommend it yet, unless you are a C expert and have an urge to get into Linux driver development.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Updated the OP to indicate support for JMicron motherboard RAID, as well as the status of RAID 5 support.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Updated the OP with status of motherboard RAID support in Fedora 10.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 446 (Unique: 324)
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
On 8th Nov, Creative open-sourced their X-Fi drivers, which is promising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50 go_quote.gif
Just for starting this thread.. I am throwing on Ortho's, and yea thats right, I am leaving my monitor on while I do it!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronath View Post
On 8th Nov, Creative open-sourced their X-Fi drivers, which is promising!
Yes, I know, didn't you see directly above where this fact was noted?

Unfortunately their web site sucks since they've made it impossible to provide a link to their download page.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in