Very noticeable ghosting and lag only on second monitor after upgrading from Vista to 7 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Very noticeable ghosting and lag only on second monitor after upgrading from Vista to 7

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 211 (Unique: 172)
I have been running my two monitors, a 19" and 15" lcd, for years without problems in Vista. After installing Windows 7 recently, there is pretty bad lag only on the 15" monitor, as well as ghosting. If I drag any window around the monitor, it lags like a low fps game. If I move my mouse, it shows ghosting. If I turn off Aero and drag a window, it shows ghosting and no lag. I'm running the monitor at its native resolution and 60hz, just like in Vista.

The only change in my setup is that Windows 7 locks my 19" at 75hz and won't let me change it, no matter the settings I enable. It also doesn't let me update the driver, saying the default windows display driver is better. I had it at 60hz on Vista.

I'm sure this is a Windows issue, since it worked perfectly on Vista. This is a fresh install, so I have updated display and chipset drivers. Advise?

Edit: it also lags on the main screen, but it's only noticeable when scrolling the page while having a youtube video playing. Actually it's slightly noticeable when scrolling on any page. It's almost as if the GPU's 2d driver is broken or something. I have no problems in games - BF3 completely maxed out runs smooth.

wheee.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 69)
That to me sounds like a driver / refresh rate issue, you should be able to force the refresh rate in CCC and see if that will fix the problem instead of using windows to change it. As you are running the latest drivers it shouldn't be that either. Usually when there is lag on one monitor but not the other it comes down to drivers. I would see if you can force the refresh rate first though.

Systems Admin / Tech
Any questions regarding Mac, Windows 7, Networking. Just shoot me a PM smile.gif

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy_101 View Post

That to me sounds like a driver / refresh rate issue, you should be able to force the refresh rate in CCC and see if that will fix the problem instead of using windows to change it. As you are running the latest drivers it shouldn't be that either. Usually when there is lag on one monitor but not the other it comes down to drivers. I would see if you can force the refresh rate first though.

I can't, I tried through CCC as well. It lets me change it on the small one, but it doesn't make a difference with the lag. For my main monitor, it doesn't even give me the option to change resolution or refresh rate.

wheee.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
Perfection @ 4GHz

Rep: 360 (Unique: 174)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post

I guessing that your 15" monitor may no longer up for the job...
Consider upgrading that 15" to an identical 19" you have?
Just my 2 cents.

How does that make any sense? I said it worked perfectly in Vista. I use the monitor for keeping a few things open on it in Windows, I don't use it for gaming.

wheee.gif
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Perfection @ 4GHz

Rep: 360 (Unique: 174)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

For anyone else who has this problem: the issue was the refresh rate on my main monitor. After doing a full wipe of the display drivers and reinstalling them, this time it let me change my main monitor from 75Hz to 60Hz. After I changed this, the problem went away completely. It seems there is an issue running dual monitors when each has a different refresh rate, either in the software or hardware. Hope this helps someone else.

wheee.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in