Rep: 0
ok guys i have a little problem for ya
info on my system
athlon 3400+
MSI k8t-neo mobo
raptor 36 ata harddrive
caviar 160 ata harddrive
radeon x800

ok, i built my computer about a month and a half ago. i installed xp without any real problems... did the whole press f6 deal in the xp install, worked like a charm. problem is one of my buddies got rough with my floppy cable and broke a couple of the pins on the mobo socket.
a month and a half went by with the computer running like a bad ass (10500 on 3dmark '03). untill one day i turn on my puter and it takes a really really long time to find my harddrives. not only that but when it gets to the xp boot up screen it freezes. so i decide, ok i will unplug the caviar and see if it boots up with only the raptor (i keep my os on it). it finds the raptor really fast, just like usual, and i get into xp. i am like ok kool, maybe the puter juss farted. so i turn it off and plug back in the caviar. no joy, the puter does the same thing as it did the first time. long time to find the harddrives and freezes at the xp boot up screen. i unplugged the caviar once again and try to reboot. finds the harddrives quick and gets to the xp boot up screen and tells me that xp now had corrupted files and cannot start up.
***? i have a few theries, sata drives got corrupted, virus, bad luck. whichever one of these it is i figure my best chance at fixing it is reinstalling xp.
if you remember my flippen floppy disk drive is broken, and if you know anything about windows xp its impossible to install on an ata drive with out a floppy disk drive. (unless you build an xp cd for it) so i went out and got an external usb floppy disk drive. i boot up the puter and with a little tweaking of the bios xp installer sees the floppy disk drive and installs the sata promise driver. everything is good untill it says "starting windows" in the B section of the text based install. when i get to that point it tells me that there are no harddrives present and press f3 to exit setup. what ya think guys? what caused this problem? why is windows not seeing my harddrives? help would be great... thanx guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ne ideas guys? i could really use the help!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 05:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
don't worry m8 im thinking

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
don't worry m8 im thinking
ok cant think of anything. But have no fear i have asked deathonator to help.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 278 (Unique: 169)
Not that this will fix your current problem with your floppy. But Ive read somewhere that a mirror raid is somewhat fault tolerant. Like it will corrupt data or something like that.(Of course you may not have a mirror raid.) Ive never had experience setting up a raid cause Ive never used more than one drive. Thats just what I read. I may be wrong. I think I read that in Microsofts knowledge base.

Blah
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
Yeah, I guess sometimes w/ SATA a drive will just get corrupted. But w/ the newer BIOS and stuff it should be very, very rare.

I read your problemo when you first posted it but dunno what to say. First off, is your caviar a regular ATA? I know it is kind of a pain to get a SATA and PATA drive working at once. I would go in your BIOS and manually disable the IDE things you are not using, like primary slave and secondary slave. Just whatever you are not using. Besides that... I'm not sure what to try, search around, or call tech support. Definately reformat everything again and see if that helps.

When I was playing with one SATA drive and a PATA drive using a SATA adapter (so I had two drives using SATA), it took like 25 minutes for windows to boot. Why? I have no idea. I didn't need the 2nd drive so I just removed it w/ out figuring it out.

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

ok here is a little update... i got my computer up and running. turns out i had the wrong driver disk for the sata drive. i got my computer up and running perfect with the 36gig raptor. but now when i plug in the caviar wd1600 it wont boot into windows at all. it gets to the windows boot up screen and freezes. with the raptor it boots up just fine. ne ideas???
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
I think you're having the same problem I was. It's not locking up, it just takes like 25 minutes to boot because windows is looking around for all the HDD I guess. Do what I said in my last post about disabling controllers you don't need. And search around on google for what you can do to fix it.

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

have you found any links to a possible solution to the problem. i cant format it in dos because there are no dos drivers for it and i can get into xp with it but it runs so slow i cant do anything. ne ideas on how i could format it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in