OS Info. Question! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

OS Info. Question!

Closed Thread

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Hi,
I have a few questions that I need to ask you guys.

Windows XP Upgrade version:
If I run a windows ME, I can use Windows XP Upgrade version to upgrade my ME to XP right?

Windows XP Pro OEM:
Is there anything different from Windowx XP Pro "RETAIL"? Do they both work the same, but juse OEM and RETAIL?

Last of all: do any of you guys know where I can buy wholesale for computer parts and OSes? I'm trying to run a business in Computer Services & Web Design. To get started I need to know where to purchase cheap parts and OSes. Can't hop to Fry's or Best to get the parts. LOL. I graduated with the BS in CS recently but no job. I'm in Southern CA. Thanks in advance.

GuardianX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
Yes, Windows ME will upgrade to XP (anything 98 and later). But if you want to do a fresh install, you will have to reinstall ME, then install XP right after. W/ the upgrade you keep all your programs and everything.

The only differences w/ OEM and Retail are:
No MS customer support.
No nice manual (I dunno how nice of a one comes w/ retail)
No box
and I think that's it.

If you wanna install XP on multiple comps, then order one OEM licence and CD. Then order only licences for the rest. I buy most of my software from www.saveateagle.com. Check them out. But no, I don't know of a good "whole saler".

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 04:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
What's OEM stand for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 05:34 PM
Retired Staff

Original Equipment Manufactured. Your only SUPPOSE to buy OEM software when planning to put it on a brand new computer... I think.

H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 07:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathONator
Original Equipment Manufactured. Your only SUPPOSE to buy OEM software when planning to put it on a brand new computer... I think.

But who does just put it on new pc's only lol?

[insanity]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Thanks for the site DeathONator.
But having OEM on a brand new sys? I never heard something like that before. OEM is always cheaper then the original "retail" product. I never had an OEM product before. Wonder how it is like. LOL

GuardianX
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Retired Staff

I believe the intent on OEM software is the following. It's software Dell, Gateway, Sony, HP/Compaq, and every other PC maker can buy and put on the system before they box it up. That is why OEM exists I think, so they can sell more of their software to the big places, and just not include the uneeded stuff, and not have to worry about giving tech support. Then of course resellers are going to buy OEM software also 'case it's cheap. But usually the software company will suggest to the reseller: You should make the customer purchase a piece of hardware from you so we "know" it's for a new machine. Most resellers make you buy a piece of hardware, but they have cheap mice and sometimes just $0.99 cables you can buy w/ it in order to sattisfy buying "hardware". But Eagle dosn't make you buy a piece of hardware they just reccomend it. But yes, OEM software is out there for companies to buy for cheap and put on their machines bundling it w/ the computer.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
man dont EVER upgrade....just completly re do over your current installation...the upgrades will sometimes carry over old files needed with your current crap and make your XP fubar....

I'm the hawt sauce.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 12:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi guyz,

I have a problem with my xp. The problem is it is setting some kind of max clock speed script or bat file, heck i dont know...

So what ever i do in BIOS setup is overridden by this thing every time i boot, which means to say i cant overclock.

I'm kinda lazy to reinstall xp as i have lots of downloaded files and things that i have to backup first b4 reinstalling.

Any ideas how to overcome this thing?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 03:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
your battery may be screwed ...does your time and stuff reset at random...and when your over clocking just BARLY edge it up...sometimes the board will reset its self if you try to do something drastic....

I'm the hawt sauce.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in