*Solved* Cannot find Pagefile.sys on C Drive - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

*Solved* Cannot find Pagefile.sys on C Drive

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Windows Wrangler

Rep: 340 (Unique: 250)
    Can you post a screenshot of the permissions on the root of C:\?  Right-click "Local Disk (C:)", click Properties, go to the Security tab, click [Advanced], and then press [Alt]+[PrintScrn] to take a cropped screenshot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 80 (Unique: 63)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

Can you post a screenshot of the permissions on the root of C:\?  Right-click "Local Disk (C:)", click Properties, go to the Security tab, click [Advanced], and then press [Alt]+[PrintScrn] to take a cropped screenshot.

Here you go.

EK Club XCrossXFire ClubX
-OCN Water Cooling Club-
Destrto
(13 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
GPU
AMD PowerColor RX 580
RAM
G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16Gb
RAM
G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 16 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 500Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 Tb
Power Supply
Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt
Cooling
EK-Suprema​cy MX CPU ​Block
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
EK-XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite
Case
HBT Gravity6
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Windows Wrangler

Rep: 340 (Unique: 250)
    Those look correct.  The most important ones in this case (SYSTEM and Administrators) are granted Full Control as they should be.  So it's not a problem with access permission to the root of C:\.

Open Registry Editor (press [Win]+[R], type "regedit" and press [Enter]), and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" and post a screenshot.  Perhaps try setting the "PagingFiles" registry value to "?:\pagefile.sys" (without quotes; this is the Windows 7 default value) and reboot the computer and see what the values are after the reboot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

Those look correct.  The most important ones in this case (SYSTEM and Administrators) are granted Full Control as they should be.  So it's not a problem with access permission to the root of C:\.

Open Registry Editor (press [Win]+[R], type "regedit" and press [Enter]), and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" and post a screenshot.  Perhaps try setting the "PagingFiles" registry value to "?:\pagefile.sys" (without quotes; this is the Windows 7 default value) and reboot the computer and see what the values are after the reboot.

When you say set the paging files registry value, do you mean to simply enter that into the field that opens when I select "modify"?

Here is the screenshot.

-OCN Water Cooling Club-
Destrto
(13 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
GPU
AMD PowerColor RX 580
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 500Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 Tb
Power Supply
Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
Case
HBT Gravity6
▲ hide details ▲
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here is the result within regedit after rebooting.

In the Virtual memory settings, things are reverted back to the default "automatically manage" setting. And the pagefile is set to the D drive again. I did not, however, get any warning popup this time.

-OCN Water Cooling Club-
Destrto
(13 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
GPU
AMD PowerColor RX 580
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 500Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 Tb
Power Supply
Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
Case
HBT Gravity6
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Software Developer

Rep: 727 (Unique: 510)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

Here is the result within regedit after rebooting.

In the Virtual memory settings, things are reverted back to the default "automatically manage" setting. And the pagefile is set to the D drive again. I did not, however, get any warning popup this time.

In all honesty, you WILL get warnings completely removing a Pagefile IF the OS is forced to make a call to one. Applications can "Force" a call to utilize virtual memory pagefiles on drives.

It is a terrible idea to completely remove the Pagefile permanently. It has a tendency to make Windows buggy, as you can tell here it is struggling to just shift drives!

Anyways back on track:
In order to remove it off of F:\ drive.

Attempt to set one up under C:\ (small size) 2048 to 2048, but click SET before you click OK.

Then please reboot.

Do you still get an error when both are enabled?

My guess would be after if you didn't that you attempt removal of the F:\ drive, but in that order. Don't forget to click "Set" though.

Idea two:
Create your own pagefile.sys manually on the C:\, then attempt to do the same as described above.

There maybe a hiccup in the read/write permissions on the NTFS filesystem.

IF that is the case, you DO need to fix that.
My suggestion at this point would be run "sfc /scannow" in the CMD Prompt As Admin.

My Site: HouseofCat
My Repos: GitHub Repository
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

SFC /Scannow has been ran. No change.

Again, it has been mentioned that I am only trying to remove pagefile in order to have a new, un-corrupted one created so that it might fix the warning.

I get a warning after rebooting in any situation. Here:
I set Virtual Memory to "Auto Manage" Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "custom value" on Drive D. Setting "no pagefile" on Drive C Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "custom value" on Drive C. Setting "no pagefile" on Drive D. Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "system managed" on Drive C. Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "system managed" on Drive D. Warning occurs.
You get the idea..

I keep referring back to the guide I linked because it seems you guys are missing the point I'm trying to make here.. When I get to step 6. It tells me to set the pagefile to 0Mb on each drive, essentially removing it. Then, I should reboot and see the pagefile.sys file in whichever drive it was previously set to be on and delete it. My issue is that this does not happen, I do not see a "pagefile.sys" in either Drive's root directory.

@RagingCain, your step one has been attempted, no change. Warning still occurs after a reboot. I have even physically removed the secondary drive. Same thing, Warning occurs. I will be attempting your step 2 later today, when I can get access to the computer again.

I don't mean to be the jerk here, but it seems some of you are more interested in stating the benefits of whether or not to have a pagefile.. I am not concerned with this knowledge. I am concerned with this warning message that persists, even through multiple methods of fixing it.

-OCN Water Cooling Club-
Destrto
(13 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
GPU
AMD PowerColor RX 580
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 500Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 Tb
Power Supply
Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
Case
HBT Gravity6
▲ hide details ▲
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Software Developer

Rep: 727 (Unique: 510)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

SFC /Scannow has been ran. No change.

Again, it has been mentioned that I am only trying to remove pagefile in order to have a new, un-corrupted one created so that it might fix the warning.

I get a warning after rebooting in any situation. Here:
I set Virtual Memory to "Auto Manage" Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "custom value" on Drive D. Setting "no pagefile" on Drive C Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "custom value" on Drive C. Setting "no pagefile" on Drive D. Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "system managed" on Drive C. Warning occurs.
I set Virtual Memory to "system managed" on Drive D. Warning occurs.
You get the idea..

I keep referring back to the guide I linked because it seems you guys are missing the point I'm trying to make here.. When I get to step 6. It tells me to set the pagefile to 0Mb on each drive, essentially removing it. Then, I should reboot and see the pagefile.sys file in whichever drive it was previously set to be on and delete it. My issue is that this does not happen, I do not see a "pagefile.sys" in either Drive's root directory.

@RagingCain, your step one has been attempted, no change. Warning still occurs after a reboot. I have even physically removed the secondary drive. Same thing, Warning occurs. I will be attempting your step 2 later today, when I can get access to the computer again.

I don't mean to be the jerk here, but it seems some of you are more interested in stating the benefits of whether or not to have a pagefile.. I am not concerned with this knowledge. I am concerned with this warning message that persists, even through multiple methods of fixing it.

Its okay, it can be frustrating, my comments were more towards other viewers of the thread, never forget, that by posting here, someone may stumble upon this thread in the future looking for a fix or more info smile.gif That's why we volunteer extra information at times smile.gif

I know, I know, this is about your issue.

You mentioned SFC was ran, and no change, but did it give you any feedback or errors found? If you don't remember it can be located in a log here: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I will be around later when you can get at the machine again.

The problem with that "guide" is that you don't have a pagefile.sys to remove. Even if the one on F: or D: drive exists AND is corrupt. It should not prevent you from creating one on C:\.

Therefore there is something wrong.

(Have you had a chance to do a Anti-Malware / AV scan?)

Another option in my mind is to revert to Safe Mode, I believe it doesn't use pagefile for the most part.
Set Page File to No on All Drives, Click Set, Click OK.

Reboot, but back into SAFE MODE, check the pagefile status.
If it has returned, do step 1 again, but this time don't reboot, then manually DELETE all PageFile.SYS files.
If settings have not returned, manually DELETE all PAGEFILE.SYS files from all drives.

Reboot, again, back into SAFE MODE, once more.
Manually configure the drive you with want with a MANUAL pagefile of 2048MB, minimum, max 2048. Click Set, Click OK.

Reboot computer as normal.
Verify settings have "stuck".

My Site: HouseofCat
My Repos: GitHub Repository
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

Its okay, it can be frustrating, my comments were more towards other viewers of the thread, never forget, that by posting here, someone may stumble upon this thread in the future looking for a fix or more info smile.gif That's why we volunteer extra information at times smile.gif

I know, I know, this is about your issue.

You mentioned SFC was ran, and no change, but did it give you any feedback or errors found? If you don't remember it can be located in a log here: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

I will be around later when you can get at the machine again.

The problem with that "guide" is that you don't have a pagefile.sys to remove. Even if the one on F: or D: drive exists AND is corrupt. It should not prevent you from creating one on C:\.

Therefore there is something wrong.

(Have you had a chance to do a Anti-Malware / AV scan?)

Another option in my mind is to revert to Safe Mode, I believe it doesn't use pagefile for the most part.
Set Page File to No on All Drives, Click Set, Click OK.

Reboot, but back into SAFE MODE, check the pagefile status.
If it has returned, do step 1 again, but this time don't reboot, then manually DELETE all PageFile.SYS files.
If settings have not returned, manually DELETE all PAGEFILE.SYS files from all drives.

Reboot, again, back into SAFE MODE, once more.
Manually configure the drive you with want with a MANUAL pagefile of 2048MB, minimum, max 2048. Click Set, Click OK.

Reboot computer as normal.
Verify settings have "stuck".

I understand the information is volunteered, and it is appreciated. I would just rather not get into any e-peen discussions over who thinks who is right. But anyway..

When Sfc /scannow was ran it reported no errors of any kind.

AV and Anti-Malware scans were also clean.

I agree that something is not as it should be with this system and its pagefile.

I will try the steps you've mentioned here shortly.

I should add, that even though this pagefile warning pops up after every reboot, it does not seem to be affecting the performance of the machine. I am trying to remove this warning because it is a nuisance and should not be showing up at all. I am one of those people that believes "if it's not supposed to be there, it shouldn't be there."

-OCN Water Cooling Club-
Destrto
(13 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
GPU
AMD PowerColor RX 580
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 500Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 Tb
Power Supply
Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
Case
HBT Gravity6
▲ hide details ▲
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Update: set "no pagefile" to both drives, rebooted into safemode. No pagefile listed under either drive currently.

I am attempting to create one (256Mb-1024Mb) on the C drive and rebooting back into safemode.

Update 2: Rebooting into safemode gave the warning again. No pagefile on C drive where Virtual memory states it should be. Instead, a 3Gig pagefile has been created on the D drive. Even though I have D drive set to "No pagefile". I am also unable to delete it from within safemode.

-OCN Water Cooling Club-
Destrto
(13 items)
CPU
AMD FX-8370
Motherboard
MSI 990FXA-Gaming
GPU
AMD PowerColor RX 580
RAM
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 500Gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 Tb
Power Supply
Raidmax Vampire 800 Watt
Cooling
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
XSPC 240mm​ Radiator
Cooling
Case
HBT Gravity6
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in