Help installing DirectPlay on Windows 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help installing DirectPlay on Windows 10

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 yesterday just to see if I liked it and that everything would work. The upgrade was flawless and after disabling all the privacy options I could and updating the Nvidia driver to 353.62, I tried to load Final Fantasy XI.

Playonline launches and I can go through the process of logging in but the game won't launch after selecting (closes Playonline to launch FFXI). Instead, a pop-up partially loads, mentioning installation of DirectPlay, but is immediately 'Not Responding'. Opening the Task Manager to end the task doesn't help as this hangs also, along with almost everything else. So I reset the pc, and use google to find out that DirectPlay is a legacy component required to play the game similar to Windows 8.

Attempting to install DirectPlay gives the following response:
Quote:
Windows couldn't complete the requested changes
The function attempted to use a name that is reserved for use by another transaction
Error code: 0x80071A90
'tell me how to solve this problem' (this is a link)

clicking on the link opens a web page referring to completely different error codes regarding .NET Framework 3.5.

Does anyone know how to get DirectPlay working in Windows 10?

Any help would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 05:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello Mitch311,
I faced the same problem. I following steps resolved the issue for me:

1) Install DirectX run time library from Microsoft's site :
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

2) Restart the machine

3) Run your game, when asked to install DirectPlay confirm and you will be ready to play
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by istofix View Post

Hello Mitch311,
I faced the same problem. I following steps resolved the issue for me:

1) Install DirectX run time library from Microsoft's site :
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

2) Restart the machine

3) Run your game, when asked to install DirectPlay confirm and you will be ready to play

Thanks for this. I reverted back to Windows 7 but I'll update to 10 again and give it shot tonight when I get home from work. thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
I was having issues with DirectPlay as well. It would hang Windows every time i launched FFXI and said it needed to install it.

I followed this youtube and it works now.

Basically

1. Right click Start
2. Click Programs and Features
3. Click Turn Windows features on or off
4. Make sure there is a check in Legacy Components
5. Click the + to expand
6. Check the box for DirectPlay
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 10:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry for lobbing in on your thread, but I was trying to decide if I need to install DirectPlay on my Windows 10 box.

What games need direct play? Doesn't it come with the DirectX 9.0 runtime? Or is DirectPlay for even older apps and games?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

I am also having this issue when I go to play AOE. But I have done everything above, and mine still wont work.

My directplay in the legacy components when I check it just comes up with an error and wont install.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 08:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWild View Post

1. Right click Start
2. Click Programs and Features
3. Click Turn Windows features on or off
4. Make sure there is a check in Legacy Components
5. Click the + to expand
6. Check the box for DirectPlay

I had trouble installing DirectPlay for Windows 10 and this forum was the first hit. You follow this method but make sure you disable your antivirus temporarily to install it. I have Avast, and apparently something with Windows 10 and Avast prevents DirectPlay from installing unless you disable your antivirus. Before I disabled it it would always turn up an error and link me to a .NET 3.5 install on Microsoft's website.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaonhort View Post

I had trouble installing DirectPlay for Windows 10 and this forum was the first hit. You follow this method but make sure you disable your antivirus temporarily to install it. I have Avast, and apparently something with Windows 10 and Avast prevents DirectPlay from installing unless you disable your antivirus. Before I disabled it it would always turn up an error and link me to a .NET 3.5 install on Microsoft's website.

I've not reinstalled Win 10 since the original attempt. Wasn't so keen on some of the other 'features' so have stayed with Win 7 for just now. FFXI is the only reason keeping me on a Windows OS so once support for it ends next year I may just move to Linux full time.

I too have Avast installed and disabling AV (or is it Avast specific?) to get a Legacy Windows component to install just seems bizarre to me but if it works then at least people who want to upgrade can do so. Thanks for sharing

Cheers thumb.gif

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
I didn't have an issue with installing DirectPlay when requested upon starting Rollercoaster Tycoon. If the add remove features isn't working for you, though, you could try the command line method:

dism /Online /enable-feature /FeatureName:"DirectPlay" /NoRestart

Or if that doesn't work you could try and perform it via a Windows 10 install USB and instead of /Online you use /image: i.e. dism /image:C:\ /enable-feature /FeatureName:"DirectPlay" and reboot back into the OS. I've not installed DirectPlay to an offline image but have done .NET 3.5 "netFX" via dism without an issue so see why DP should work.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needhelp101 View Post

I am also having this issue when I go to play AOE. But I have done everything above, and mine still wont work.

My directplay in the legacy components when I check it just comes up with an error and wont install.

First disable your antivirus software. I was just able to resolve this issue that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in