1gb unallocated after deleting a recovery partition (SSD) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1gb unallocated after deleting a recovery partition (SSD)

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello community. I would like help with a small problem. A few days ago I had a handful of partitions on my SSD: the main boot partition, two recovery (20gb and 1gb) and a third primary but with only 1gb of capacity (that's strange). It looked like this:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Of the two recovery partitions I deleted Which had lower capacity (1gb), also eliminated the 3rd primary partition with 1gb. My doubt arose at the time of trying to attach those 2gb to the main partition because it only managed to join half, so they remain 1000mb unallocated. As you can see in the image, the option extend volume is not available:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

P.D: Do you think it was wrong to delete that recovery partition ?, I have read that they are very important but I found it unnecessary if I already had the largest partition with 20 large gigabytes.

Thank you for reading my concern and apologize if there is any grammatical error in this text, as English is not my primary language.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
What windows version are you on? Looks like you are on win 7 but just want to confirm.
Also, is this on a laptop or desktop? If it is a laptop, that 20GB partition could have been a ghost image from the manufacturer.

I thought with win 10 it will not let you delete the recovery partition with out making a recovery USB or something along those lines first. windows 8 creates a 1GB partition for recovery too.

you can try to manually delete the partition with the diskpart command as-well

"Instead of shooting at where I was, you should have shot at where I was going to be"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbical View Post

What windows version are you on? Looks like you are on win 7 but just want to confirm.
Also, is this on a laptop or desktop? If it is a laptop, that 20GB partition could have been a ghost image from the manufacturer.

I thought with win 10 it will not let you delete the recovery partition with out making a recovery USB or something along those lines first. windows 8 creates a 1GB partition for recovery too.

you can try to manually delete the partition with the diskpart command as-well

Hi qbical, I'm using Windows 10 Pro, the computer is a Lenovo Y700 laptop.

It is interesting that you mention that windows would not let me delete the partition since I have read about it and it is true, in fact the way to eliminate them is through CMD or creating a usb recovery as mentioned, but in my case it was not so , I simply right-clicked the partitions and deleted them from the disk manager thinking.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFullNewbie View Post

Hi qbical, I'm using Windows 10 Pro, the computer is a Lenovo Y700 laptop.

It is interesting that you mention that windows would not let me delete the partition since I have read about it and it is true, in fact the way to eliminate them is through CMD or creating a usb recovery as mentioned, but in my case it was not so , I simply right-clicked the partitions and deleted them from the disk manager thinking.gif

Weird. As long as it works I guess you are good to go.

"Instead of shooting at where I was, you should have shot at where I was going to be"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in