Windows 7 dvd hang on "starting windows" when booting from it - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Windows 7 dvd hang on "starting windows" when booting from it

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Hey all. Running windows 10 on my current rig because i like it for everyday tasks and gaming. But for my audio production software, windows 7 is better. My rig came shipped with windows 7 and 10 installation media, so i am trying to install windows 7 on one of my SSDs. My case does not have an optical drive so i just picked up a highly reviewed cute little LG portable DVD-RW drive. USB powered. Reviews on amazon had people saying they used it regularly as boot disc drive for reformats and installs.
When I boot from the W7 dvd inside this new drive, it gets past "setup is loading files" then it gets to the screen that says "Starting Windows" and just hangs there indefinitely. the external optical drive eventually just stops accessing the DVD as well. The little glowing windows 7 logo is still being animated so it's not a full freeze but it never gets past this.
i already tried going to my bios (MSI X99S gaming 7) and changed boot mode from UEFI to UEFI + Legacy to no avail.
any advice?

Lenovo Y570

Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M (Lenovo)
465GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA)
AUDIO: Scarlett 2i2 USB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 42)
As crazy as it sounds, I had a similar issue and it was resolved by unplugging the ethernet cable from the affected computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in