[Computerworld] With DaaS Windows coming, say goodbye to your PC as you know it - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Computerworld] With DaaS Windows coming, say goodbye to your PC as you know it

post #21 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:35 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
If they keep two options, desktop one time pay windows like today, and the DaaS, it should be fine. People will not rush to pay monthly fee for DaaS unless they actually need it.
The OS is not an optional application like office or adobe or netflix etc, that they have alternatives. Especially with windows being the majority OS for anything not apple related, and I don't think they will dare to go that route.

But, if microsoft ever make windows a monthly fee OS, it can see it dying. And I have a feeling it will take the hardware market with it right into the gutter.
I don't think people will be willing to go buy a laptop or a computer from the shop only to realise they have to pay 5$ to use their PC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:40 AM
Performance is the bible

Rep: 437 (Unique: 301)
Quote: Originally Posted by De_stroyer View Post
*Ignorant post incoming*
Do certain games not work on windows 7 ?
One of the problems will start be hardware related and less game related.

Since kaby lake and onward, microsoft no longer support them on windows 7. Meaning you are going to start having driver problems, unsupported issues etc.
There are some ways around it, but at some point they will start making things harder and harder, so you will either have to move to windows 10, or move to linux. Or keep using older hardware.

post #23 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:44 AM
RGB Rainbow Vomit!

Rep: 33 (Unique: 27)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
But more importantly, will it DaaS Boot?

I was thinking the same thing
Sadly this reference is going to go way over so many heads in OCN.

Crystal
(10 items)
O M E N
(9 items)
The Movie Box
(10 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2600
Motherboard
Asus TUF B450M
GPU
EVGA 1070 Ti SC Black Edition
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb 2933MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX Fury 480Gb
Power Supply
EVGA 750GQ
Cooling
BeQuiet! Pure Rock Slim
Case
Corsair Crystal 280X White
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
CPU
Intel i7 6700HQ
GPU
Nvidia GTX 965m 4Gb
RAM
Ballistix Sport LT 16Gb 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 Evo 250Gb
Hard Drive
HyperX Fury 480Gb
Case
OMEN 15 by HP
Operating System
Windows 10 Home x64
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 700
Audio
Creative Play!3 & M-Audio AV30.
CPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
Motherboard
MSI A88XI AC v2
GPU
AMD A8 7600 APU
RAM
8Gb Corsair DDR3 1600MHz
Hard Drive
120Gb KingDian S280 SSD
Power Supply
CIT 500w SFX PSU
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 64plus
Case
Silverstone ML05b
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42" 1080p HD TV
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:49 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
They can't afford to push this on everyone. They have more competition now. The moment the blood is in the water, the sharks will circle.
Quote: Originally Posted by Omega X View Post
Microsoft has never tried to irritate customers like this service movement before. The more they push the more they get people like the Windows 7 users not transitioning(And the numbers are not really moving past a certain point). All the competition needs is one good alternative. Apple has never really begun to exist outside of its own hardware and Linux Desktops are not polished. Which leaves Google if you believe it or not. Its been working on its own custom OS outside of Android/ChromeOS. A stumbling Microsoft could be just what it takes to push into the desktop space like they did in the education space(ChromeOS is killing it there).
I think they will impose this. This is all the plan, that started with forced updates ...
Were people so infuriated at the time ? Nope.

The secret is to turn the knob progressively: forced updates, one update will tell you you MUST put your visa card number, for reasons, and all the fun will begin.

90% of users will comply. Some will be outraged, but who cares ? As for competition, like was said, Apple is far from even trying to be a competitor, even less now with their crazy pricing of obsolete gear. Linux, no way, either.

The only competition is Android tablets as I see it: plug a bluetooth KB + an USB mouse and you're golden. You even have MS Office on Android !

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲
post #25 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:06 AM
PC Gamer

Rep: 24 (Unique: 23)
Quote: Originally Posted by blodflekk View Post
Yet another reason I am so glad I have kept my beautiful trustworthy windows 7. Never going to upgrade unless they can produce a windows 7 like version. Hell I would go back to windows xp before I touched windows 10.
Beautiful? Not sure about that but ok.

Anyway windows 10 is fine, just need to deal with a few bs after that it's aight.
post #26 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:41 AM
Crayon Evangelist

Rep: 469 (Unique: 321)
Microsoft is moving to a service based model instead of a product-for-sale model. Even if they haven't officially announced the entire ecosystem as so, there is an undeniable shift in that direction. I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Just questions and concerns. Like...what if I cannot afford the monthly fee? Does that mean I am locked out of my desktop? Reduced functionality? What about the gaming titles purchased through the store? Can I still play those?

Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
Computex 2018: 'Ladies and Gentleman, people of all chromatic sensibilities and lighting clownery, we are proud to present the aaarrrrgggeeebeeee Circus Maximus!'
Quote: Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
I was initially interested in Fallout 76, but my enthusiasm was nuked.
Quote: Originally Posted by rush2049 View Post
If I lob a grenade and die and respawn before it exploded does it still explode?
post #27 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
They cant enforce it. People put up with a lot of crap, but being forced to hand over hard earned will be a major stopping point.

I can only see this as an also option much the same as 365 office. People can buy office outright (as I did) as well as buying Windows outright (which again I did). I can understand people buying office 365 sort of. But if they plan a pay per view option of Windows 10, then no one will upgrade from the current version. And because the current version is used the most, then it will get supported. This happened with Windows Vista. Vista was so bad no one wanted it. People stuck to Windows XP like glue, and many simply did not move on until windows 7 came out. So give people a good enough reason, and they won't shift.

14-15-14-14-28-42-4-5-20-0-0-4-12-10-0-3-3-282-14-8-6-3-1-7-7-1-5-5-1
ProcODt 48Ω - Rttnom 34Ω - Rttwr disabled - Rttpark 60Ω drvstr 30Ω - 20Ω - 24Ω - 20Ω
vcore -0.075v | Dram 1.38v Rev: 2203
CPU
AMD 2700X
Motherboard
Cross Hair VII
GPU
MSI 1080
RAM
G-Skill F4-4000C18-8GTZKW
Hard Drive
Disk Drive SAMSUNG MZVKW512HMJP-00000 (512 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4)
Hard Drive
Disk Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB (1000 GB, SATA-III)
Hard Drive
Disk Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB (2000 GB, SATA-III)
Power Supply
1600w
Cooling
Corsair H110i
Cooling
Corsair Dominator Ramcooler
Case
TT CORE P5 Thermaltake Core P5 ATX
Operating System
Windows 10 pro (64bit)
Monitor
Asus PB28Q 28" (2160p)
Monitor
Asus PB28Q 28" (2160p)
Keyboard
Corsair strafe silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone Aimo
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:02 PM
toast toast!

Rep: 74 (Unique: 66)
lol no. They might want this to happen, and some might put up with it, but they'll probably break the implementation so much that it'll never work.

I gave up on Windows update years ago. I don't think I've ran it in 6 years or more. I couldn't update it even if I wanted to, it sits there for hours to go and decide what updates to get, then pisses about for another hour downloading and installing about a floppy disk worth of patches, then a few reboots and the whole thing needs repeating several more times because it can't do them all in one go. Never mind what's actually in the updates...

With windows 10, MS have forgotten what people actually want from an operating system. Something that works, shuts up, does what its told and puts useful things within easy reach, all without eating all your system resources. All of those qualities are what made Windows 7 a success and they've gone out of the window since.

Still Trucking
(18 items)
Elitebook 8470p
(6 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4ghz
Motherboard
Asus P8P67 pro
GPU
Gigabyte GTX780
RAM
12GB Corsair RAM (2/3 vengance, 1/3 XMS3)
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO 120gb
Hard Drive
Seagate 7200.14 2tb
Optical Drive
Samsung dvd+-rw
Power Supply
Corsair TX650
Cooling
Noctua NH-D14
Case
Coolermaster cm690
Operating System
Windows 7 ultimate x64
Monitor
LG 24MP55 x2
Monitor
LG 32LD450
Keyboard
Dell thing.
Mouse
Logitech G500
Mouse
none
Audio
Xonar DG and logitech X-540
Audio
Beyer DT770 PRO
CPU
i5-3380m @ 2.9
GPU
Intel Integrated Crap
RAM
8gb
Hard Drive
Intel 320 SSD
Optical Drive
Boring DVDRW drive
Operating System
Windows 8.1
▲ hide details ▲
post #29 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 PM
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
If I could post images, I promise you this thread would be plastered with HA-HA guys.

Good idea fairy strikes again, and manages to snag a working-lunch with the Vice President of Implementing Potentially Disastrous Ideas. Sadly, I doubt they will be stupid enough to herd EVERYBODY into this, although dangit if that wouldn't be entertaining. With any luck, they will still push hard enough to send a bunch of people looking for a different computing environment right about the point where hopefully Sony announces that the PS5 will be using Vulkan -because hopefully it's using Vulkan- that the perfect storm happens and Mac and Linux start snagging M$'s marketshare. Everyone know Mac, but the price is right for Linux so I see more people trying out Ubuntu than buying an iMac.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.

Last edited by Jarhead; 08-02-2018 at 07:37 PM.
post #30 of 82 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 01:53 AM
in da freezing hell

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post
Microsoft is moving to a service based model instead of a product-for-sale model. Even if they haven't officially announced the entire ecosystem as so, there is an undeniable shift in that direction.
That, pretty much, is clear

Quote: Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post
I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Just questions and concerns. Like...what if I cannot afford the monthly fee? Does that mean I am locked out of my desktop? Reduced functionality? What about the gaming titles purchased through the store? Can I still play those?
You surely know the answers. Here they are:
- unpaid sub ? locked out to a screen where all you can do is pay, before accessing your, sorry, MS's desktop
- whatever you can't run before paying and that you've paid for already (games, pro softwares, etc ...) ? Sorry pal, you remember the EULA you've agreed upon when last update fell ? It was specifically mentioned you'd loose access to those in case of lack of payement to MS.

Marvin
(16 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K [email protected] GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VII Impact mini-itx
GPU
Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini
RAM
Trident X, 2 X 8 Go, 2400 MHz, CAS 10
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 512GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Desktop SSHD, 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair HX850i
Cooling
Corsair H90
Case
Thermaltake Core V1
Operating System
W7
Operating System
SteamOS
Monitor
Big Samsung TV screen, sofa operated
Keyboard
Logitech K810
Mouse
Logitech G602
Audio
Bose Soundtouch 1300
Other
Steam Controler
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in