Restore deleted files list - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Restore deleted files list

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Restore deleted files list

Hi All

So I had some code which went through and deleted some random files and folders from a specific folder. Problem is I screwed it up hard and had the specific folder as one level down than intended.

The result is I have deleted all files and folders off one of my HDD (4tb WD Red).

Using Recuva I can scan and see that they are all there still, and the paths Recuva found is correct. The problem is I dont want to have Recuva restore them all cause its almost 3.5tb worth of data, and it will take days.

Is there another trick so somehow just restore the partitions file list or something? All the files and folders are the same and haven't moved or anything?

So is there a trick with file lists? Or am I doomed to dedicated over a week of the computer to getting it all back using Recuva?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 474 (Unique: 320)
I don't know of a different way.

There's "TestDisk" which can search for and restore partitions and filesystems, but that's for when you have wiped the drive by mistake. For you there's a healthy partition and filesystem still there.

If you have backups you should restore from that. I'd trust that more than what Recuva is doing. Parts of the files might have been overwritten since the time they were deleted.

If you don't have backups, maybe the stuff wasn't super important because it exists somewhere else as well? You could then just give up if it really would take over a week to restore.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Damn, so no way to trick them as undeleted?

Its saying 5 days currently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Windows Wrangler

Rep: 340 (Unique: 250)
There is a way to do this, but it's risky and involved. I believe all you would need to do is clear the deleted flag on each of the deleted files in the \$MFT database file, and then I believe chkdsk would correct the \$Bitmap cluster usage database and rebuild all of the \::$I30 folder index B-tree files if you gave it a spin. I am not aware of any software out there that can do this though. I do have the knowledge of how to write something like this, but it would be quite complicated to code, and as I said, risky as you never know exactly what chkdsk will do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in