Windows user account issues - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Windows user account issues

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 8)
Windows user account issues

I didn't know which sub-forum this best fit in but figure it's more an OS issue, so here we go:

I'm trying to get 3ds Max 2015 working again after it stopped, either from a graphics card upgrade, .net update, or both.

I've tried nuking the install and clean installing, wiping the user and license folders, etc. and no matter what I do, I can't get it to successfully launch. The exe will execute, but stalls before even getting to the splash screen.

Now, I figured out that running it on a new windows user account will successfully launch it, but I can't figure out why. I tried carrying over the user folders (in AppData) from that new account to my account, after deleting the existing autodesk folders in my own AppData folders, but nothing changed.

If I create a dump file from task manager and run WinDbg with the "!analyze -v" operation I get a crypt32.dll result as the faulting module.

Odd thing is that I have AutoCAD 2015 installed also, but haven't had any issues with it like I have with Max. If anyone can shed some light on this for me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
.net framework 4.6
GTX 1070 Ti
i7 4820k
16gb ram

"I know enough to know I don't know enough"

"If you truly didn't care then why do you insist on carrying on as if you do?"

It's cute when someone glances at a topic title and then posts without reading anything else. I don't even have to respond to make you look like a fool. Your post does that for me. - DaLagga, steam forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Windows Wrangler

Rep: 340 (Unique: 250)
You can't copy the user profile information from one profile to another. There are a couple encrypted system databases and the registry database that all have to line up with the accounts name and SID (security identifier) of the user account. Copying profiles will just mess it all up. Create a new profile and start over. You can try copying individual programs' AppData folders to restore some configurations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in