How to set defaults by file type? No option to browse for app - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to set defaults by file type? No option to browse for app

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
How to set defaults by file type? No option to browse for app

Hi everyone,

So Windows 10 is driving me crazy. All I want to do is set a default application for opening .java files but no matter which way I try, nothing works or the relevant options don't exist.

If I try and use the "Default App Settings" in settings, I do not have an option to select anything else except for my Web Browser, Notepad, Wordpad or "Looking for an app in the Store" -_- See below:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/atta...227440&thumb=1

If I try to open the file from file explorer and tell it to "Always use this app to open .java files", it never actually remembers that selection, ever. -_- See below:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/atta...227442&thumb=1

So question is, am I missing something obvious here or is Microsoft just this stupid? Is there a way to force a default? Or perhaps, is there a way to do this in command line? Anything?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

P.S. No, I am not using their latest update 1809, this is a 2 week old fresh install of Windows on version 1803.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windowsSucks.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	227440  

Click image for larger version

Name:	reallySucks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	227442  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in