Whats the point of buying Win10 PRO and the update pause feature doesn't work ? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Whats the point of buying Win10 PRO and the update pause feature doesn't work ?

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post
My solution is to use TinyWall to firewall off Windows Updates along with everything else that likes to call home when it doesn't need to. It even has a menu that lets you select what Windows components to allow or block.

This is a permanent solution that you need to install. Hasn't failed yet. I get to choose when to do my updates. And it works on Home as well. I refused to move to Windows 10 until I solved the telemetry and forced update problem. And this finally did it.

The catch is that it takes some time to setup. It blocks non-Windows applications by default unless you explicitly white-list it. For me, it was just a handful of exceptions. (browser, Steam, games + other misc. small things)

TinyWall has also has a window that shows all the connections that are being allowed or blocked. So I get to watch in amusement as all these programs (mostly Microsoft stuff) that don't need the internet try to call home and get blocked.
How does TinyWall compare with Peerblock? Peerblock seems to be not that useful with predefined/hardlined connections such as Windows components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Hardware Enthusiast

Rep: 70 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kree View Post
How does TinyWall compare with Peerblock? Peerblock seems to be not that useful with predefined/hardlined connections such as Windows components.

I haven't heard of Peerblock so I can't say anything about it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in