Windows 10 fast startup bugs - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Windows 10 fast startup bugs

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Windows 10 fast startup bugs

So windows 10 has this fast startup thing. And here I thought it was my SSD making it fast. If fast startup is on, the computer starts up in fast SSD time. If its off, it will sit there for 3 minutes starting up. Anyone know why exactly that is? I know it says "fast startup" but I didn't think the alternative would be "slow as $%!+ startup".

Ok on to the real issue. The real issue is with fast startup turned on (under power options) there is a bug where if you hit shut down, it will just restart the computer. Effectively giving you no real way to shut the computer down. Cause of course hitting the power button just gives you the same results. This happens more often than not, but its somewhat intermittent. Maybe 1 out of every 5 times you try, it will go ahead and really shut down. The rest of the time it just restarts. Pretty annoying. Especially since there's no telling what microsoft will be doing with your computer while it runs all night long. I guess there's no telling what they're doing while you run it during the day, but hey I don't see any reason to give them even more time to do whatever they damn well please.

I'll be switching to Linux soon, but I'll still be running windows 10 every once in awhile to play games.

"Executing execution.exe"
Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
16Gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case
Silverstone Raven (1st edition)
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
Logisys Wireless trackball
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
It causes issues if you dual boot too. I don't even see my BIOS splash screen unless I'm hitting delete like crazy. Can't count how many times it's ignored me and booted into windows anyway.
EDIT:
Don't allow MS to collect telemetry data, install bloatware and all that stuff. I've had nothing but good things to say about 10 since disabling all that garbage.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Yeah I've spent a lot of time learning about how to turn that stuff off, and installed a few things to make it stay off. Problem is every time they put out a new update, they like to turn at least a few of them back on. So I turned off updates too. All in all, I think that I have nothing but bad things to say about windows 10. I'm assuming 8 was the same way, just not perfected. But I skipped 8 because ugh... metro. It seems to me that the amount of negatives with windows 10 outweighs the positives.

I've also had nothing but trouble out of dual booting. I've tried it many times and the boot loaders always end up fighting each other. Which pretty much ruins things for me and I end up having to reinstall windows. My computer will do weird stuff, like just freezing on the motherboard splash screen. Which it will never do if only windows is installed. I think windows just does not play nice with other OS's. So I've determined to just have a gaming rig and a main rig for daily use, which will be a linux rig.

"Executing execution.exe"
Bang for the buck
(12 items)
CPU
3570k @ 4.6Ghz @1.35v
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x UD3H
GPU
evga GTX 970 SSC
RAM
16Gb Gskill Ripjaws 2133Mhz @ 9-11-10-28
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 850
Power Supply
Silverstone 900 watt
Cooling
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case
Silverstone Raven (1st edition)
Operating System
Windows 10 Spy Delux
Monitor
Xstar 27" PLS 1440p
Keyboard
Wireless ergonomic
Mouse
Logisys Wireless trackball
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in