Win 10 - Completely remove any app/program - keep the OS clean - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Win 10 - Completely remove any app/program - keep the OS clean

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
Win 10 - Completely remove any app/program - keep the OS clean

Hey all,

Whenever I go to uninstall a piece of software, I like to 'completely remove' it. I have gone in the registry and deleted things etc... I always feel like I miss something though.

I'm just wondering if there is a recommended way of doing it properly? An automated way perhaps?

I used to use CCleaner in the past but I haven't used it for a while now - I read that it wasn't that great - is there a program anyone can recommend that does what I want?

I do fresh installs of Windows every now and then but it's a pain getting everything installed again and setup, so this time around I want to do the 'housekeeping' of the OS properly and keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks!

My Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i7 930 @ 3.8 1.256v
Motherboard
Asus P6tD Deluxe
GPU
ATI 5870
RAM
12GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 500GB
Hard Drive
1TB + 500GB HDD
Optical Drive
LG Bluray Writer + DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 650w
Cooling
Noctua u12p
Case
Coolermaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 64Bit
Monitor
Dell u2711
Keyboard
Blackwidow Ultimate
Mouse
Deathadder 3500dpi
Audio
KRK Rokit RP6
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I have always used BulkCrapUninstaller or BCUninstaller.
Which is free to use.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 8564dan View Post
Hey all,

Whenever I go to uninstall a piece of software, I like to 'completely remove' it. I have gone in the registry and deleted things etc... I always feel like I miss something though.

I'm just wondering if there is a recommended way of doing it properly? An automated way perhaps?

I used to use CCleaner in the past but I haven't used it for a while now - I read that it wasn't that great - is there a program anyone can recommend that does what I want?

I do fresh installs of Windows every now and then but it's a pain getting everything installed again and setup, so this time around I want to do the 'housekeeping' of the OS properly and keep it as clean as possible.

Thanks!
I routinely use wise disk cleaner and wise registry cleaner after I uninstall software, and have had great results. Both are available at MajorGeeks.com. All my Windows 10 PCs run faster and cleaner than they did when brand new (especially good at cleaning up the scraps left after bloatware removal).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
I use CCleaner all the time and haven't encountered anything wrong with it. You can't always believe what you read on different websites, they may have an agenda on why they prefer one program over another.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
WinaeroTweaker , this is what i use after installing windows 10 on a new HDD/SSD.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 45 (Unique: 30)
Its OK to use other software to hep you remove either apps or reg but tbh. they tend to be useless. They will make you feel that you have removed what you think you have removed but they leave a ton of reg traces, empty folders ext.

I always slim my OS to the MAX by removing most apps and all associated registry and folders.

Buck up your PC OS first encase you mess something up.

Take your PC offline, remove unneeded app one-by-one then show hidden files and folders and delete any folders associated with that software.

Go to registry and search then delete all reg. that were associated with that app, to make search of registry faster hit F3 rather then "find next", once you get to "%systemroot%" directory that might show association with removed app DON'T DELETE, it might make your system unbootable, move on to the next app you want to remove.

Take your time but once you done, your system will be lean, clean and quick and most important, you will remove only apps, reg and folders that were associated with apps and crap you want to remove, some of the "helpful" cleaning apps will either remove more then they should or leave ton crap behind.

Afterwords, you can disable either through registry or UI all auto run tasks that really don't need to run e.g. disk defrag, winsat, and other.

Last edited by NewUser16; 05-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 PM
Gamer

Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
If it were me... I'd start with Windows 10 LTSC then use https://github.com/DrEmpiricism/Optimize-Offline or use the free verison NTLite. Or "DISM /Online /Remove-Package /packagename:full-package-name" to remove a package. If you are really interested in chopping an OS come visit us over at mydigitallife.net.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 57)
I use Revo Uninstaller Pro - it removes the programs from everywhere - program data, windows folder, temp files, and most importantly it can delete all registry entries, associated with an installed program

It also can uninstall USELESS Windows Apps inside the Program Files folder, however, lots of Windows Apps still remain in the folder, because they have POS security ownership attributes with them. You have to manually go to every little jpg or dll file and set your own ownership. It shocks me that whoever made these Windows 10 PATHETIC WORTHLESS Windows Apps like ''weather'', ''people'', ''xbox''... The only useful application is the calculator, nothing more.

I wish there had been a program that could delete all the Windows Apps i want without manually toying with permissions.. Rhaaaaa!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in