On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for new Drivers on the internet. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for new Drivers on the internet.

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for new Drivers on the internet.

I've had a completely fine running Windows 10 on two PCs, but after the May 2019 1903 Update and using Disk Cleanup and removing the previous Windows installation (not sure if disk cleanup caused anything, just speculating and the only thing I did after the upgrade), the Update Driver function in the Device Manager doesn't search the internet anymore for new drivers on both PCs.

Just for info, on my work PC I did the 1903 upgrade and did everything the same as I did on my two home PCs and yet the work PC is working fine and device manager can see the internet fine.

When I click on "Update Driver" in the Device Manager -> "Search automatically for updated driver software", a window pops up and immediately (like one half second later or even less) after that the Driver Manager states: "The best driver is already installed" without searching the internet for an updated driver at all.

For testing purposes, I've installed an older driver for my graphics card and LAN card and I'm sure that there is in fact a newer one in the Windows Update Catalog which it should find, if it would work.

Under "System" -> "Advanced system settings" - > "Hardware" -> "Device Installation Settings" it is turned on (i.e. "Yes"), and there is no group policy defined, I made sure that all Registry and Group Policy settings responsible for this are set to default. That's basically all i could find regarding this issue.

You can see how exactly my problem looks like by disconnecting your internet completely and trying to update any device in Device Manager. In other words, Device manager thinks that I don't have internet at all which is so weird. I tried on wireless and on cable, both didn't work. Internet works fine for me on everything else and no any antivirus or firewall is installed.

Is there any log I could provide for more insight?

I've already run a "sfc.exe /scannow" which didn't detect any issues.
I've also already run the DISM health... etc. cmds.

Other than that, everything else is fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT!!: I fixed it by making a shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic and let windows fix it for me. Weird... this is the first time a windows troubleshooter helps me. It said windows isn't configured to install drivers automatically. LOL
This hardware and diagnostics isn't available on new Windows 10 settings starting from version 1803 so I had to make a shortcut with this parameter.

Canismajor
(16 items)
CPU
i9 9900K @4.8GHz
Motherboard
ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
GPU
Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC
RAM
Kingston HyperX Predator 32GB (16GBx2) 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB + Various Seagate and WD HDDs (4TB, 4TB, 2TB, 2TB)
Optical Drive
LG BluRay Burner
Power Supply
Seasonic x1250w XM2 Gold
Cooling
Corsair A70 dual fan
Case
Cooler Master HAF X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64
Monitor
Asus pb287q 4K
Keyboard
Logitech Basic
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G
Mouse
Razer Goliathus - Large
Audio
ASUS Xonar DX Sound card
Audio
Logitech g330
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by megahmad; 05-29-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Fixed now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in