Connected 4K TV to Vega 56, lots of problems - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Connected 4K TV to Vega 56, lots of problems

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
I took this profile pic

Rep: 136 (Unique: 107)
Connected 4K TV to Vega 56, lots of problems

Hi guys. I'm sorry but this is going to be kinda long.

First off, I just bought a 4K TV for the first time and I have a 20 ft HDMI cable running under my carpet from my PC to my TV. My Vega 56 has 3 DP and 1 HDMI. My HDMI is connected to my 2nd monitor (Display 3 according to Windows) for work. My main monitor (display 1) is connected via DP and my TV (display 2) is connected via DP but it has a HDMI to DP adapter since connecting it to the HDMI port wouldn't let it display in 4K, but doing it with the DP adapter will.

My problem has to do with Windows's display. I have my desktop extended between display 1 and 3 so I can do my work on it no problem. Now here is where the problem comes in. Windows wants to automatically extend the display to display 2. I don't want that. I want Display 2 to only come on when I select it as "Display only on Display 2" but that option isn't available.

Also, when I click HDR and WCG, to go on, the slider clicks on and it asks me to keep or revert back and I click keep but then it reverts back right away.

Last but not least, Windows considers my 1440p Asus monitor as Display 1 but Radeon considers it display 2. Could that be a problem? If not then I'm not going to worry about it.

I have some screenshots here if they help. Thanks anyone who can help with this.

PS: When I tried to connect the TV it worked well and I had to duplicate the displays, then I had to click "display only on 2" and then I could game on it. Then I clicked to throw the display back to my monitor and my 2nd monitor and now Windows keeps showing Display 2 coming online, then offline, then online, and it's freezing up my computer. Ugh!

My TV (2) model number is RU7300

My main (1) monitor is MX27AQ

My old (3) monitor is a 2009 HP It's connected via a DVI to HDMI cable because it's 10 years old and it doesn't have HDMI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	displays 1.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	287896  

Name:	displays 2.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	287898  

Name:	displays 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	287900  

Instagram @patrickmcguirkphotos & @mcguirk.patrick @patrickmcguirkportraits
Psychology grad student, computer hobbyist, self taught photographer
I'm really funny but I don't know when to stop.
I took my profile pic.
Zen
(17 items)
CPU
i5-6600k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
GPU
RX Vega 56
RAM
24 GB DDR4 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo NVME 256 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX 500 256GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 3 TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 TB
Power Supply
Antec Earthwatts 650
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus mx27a
Monitor
hp 2009 m
Keyboard
Corsair MR Brown
Mouse
Razer Naga
Audio
Soundblaster Omni
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Thready; 08-10-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 66)
I'll try to setup my PC similar to this when I get a chance (2 monitors + 4k HDR TV).

From what I remember, I had monitor 1 and 2 as my actual monitors and 3 as the TV and would just click "monitor 3" and disable it (I never tried swapping exclusively to it.

Hopefully I can give you some info later.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
I took this profile pic

Rep: 136 (Unique: 107)
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post
I'll try to setup my PC similar to this when I get a chance (2 monitors + 4k HDR TV).

From what I remember, I had monitor 1 and 2 as my actual monitors and 3 as the TV and would just click "monitor 3" and disable it (I never tried swapping exclusively to it.

Hopefully I can give you some info later.
Ok thanks for all the help. I owe you. One of the reasons why I got a Steam Link plugged in right next to my system was because of the frustration of doing all this. But Steamlink only plays 1080p...

I bought a DVI to DP cable for my third monitor because I have a feeling that if I plug that into DP slot 2 and my TV into DP slot 3 then it might reflect that in Windows instead of making my 2nd monitor as display 3 and my TV as display 2. Because the TV is plugged into DP slot 2 currently. I thought I could manually assign them in Windows but I guess I can't.

I'm still trying to fix the HDR slider not staying clicked on when I click it. It immediately reverts back. It's certainly not the main issue and I'm planning on playing older games anyway so HDR isn't a big deal.

As far as the connecting, disconnecting goes, when I tried setting up a similar setup with my old PC and old TV, when I switched displays off, sometimes they would still have the disconnect, reconnect over and over problem until I unplugged all the displays from my GPU and then replugged them back in. I have a feeling it's a handshake issue which I just learned about. Google can't help me solve this lol! UGH!

Thanks again for helping out with this.

Instagram @patrickmcguirkphotos & @mcguirk.patrick @patrickmcguirkportraits
Psychology grad student, computer hobbyist, self taught photographer
I'm really funny but I don't know when to stop.
I took my profile pic.
Zen
(17 items)
CPU
i5-6600k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
GPU
RX Vega 56
RAM
24 GB DDR4 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo NVME 256 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX 500 256GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 3 TB
Hard Drive
Toshiba 3 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate 3 TB
Power Supply
Antec Earthwatts 650
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus mx27a
Monitor
hp 2009 m
Keyboard
Corsair MR Brown
Mouse
Razer Naga
Audio
Soundblaster Omni
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in