Need some Major OS help - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need some Major OS help

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
It only says disk failure when both drives are set to CS. When it is hooked up by itself as master then it says "A disk read error has occured". But when I have it hooked up as slave it works fine. I haven't tried to use a different cable yet but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. I live in Florida.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

My situation is really bizzare, chkdsk report unrecoverable problems on the drive but the error checking utility that Maxtor uses to find errors with their drives comes up with nothing. I can't use the 160 GB HD as CS slave but I can run it as CS master, and I can boot to the 160 GB HD when its slave but not when its master. Windows thinks its the HDD and Maxtor thinks its the BIOS. I need help flashing my BIOS. When ever I run the flash utility, it tells me to enter the name of what to flash. I enter the file name but it always say it can't find the source file. Can anyone help me?

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 08:59 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
You needa enter "directions" when flashing as well, not just the BIOS name.

Here's what DFI says (google is your friend ).

1. Download the appropriate BIOS update from the Download section according to the motherboard model and PCB (Printed Circuit Board) version.
2. Extract the BIOS binary file and the flash utility program from the zipped file using applications as WinZip.
3. There should be THREE files being extracted from the zipped file. They are: *.EXE , *.BIN and *.TXT file.
4. Copy the *.BIN and *.EXE file on to a floppy disk and reboot your system from the floppy drive.
5. Type in the following command under DOS prompt (NOT under windows!):
A:\\>[executable] [filename].bin /F
OR
A:\\>[executable] /?
for detailed instructions.
Warning: For NFII chipset based motherboard, please do not give "/F" instruction.
Otherwise, LAN MAG IP will be lost that might cause your LAN feature failed.
6. Reset your computer AFTER the completion of BIOS flash process.
7. To check whether your BIOS has been updated successfully please refer to the BIOS date code shown on the bottom left hand corner of the boot up screen.
8. Please LOAD OPTIMAL SETTINGS or LOAD BIOS SETUP DEFAULTS in the BIOS setup menu during the first system boot up after the flashing the BIOS.
WARNING: Please be very cautious during the BIOS flash process, your system may fail to boot if the BIOS was not programmed correctly.

FYI, the executable is the name of the .exe file (the flash utility).

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I thanks man I got it all working. The old version of the BIOS was the problem. I went to dfi.com and found the same guide. I never put .bin as part of the file name so that's why it couldn't be found. Well after that I flashed the BIOS and everything works great. Thanks

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Retired Staff

Glad it's running smoothly now!

H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 9)
dear god bios flashing is scary....i usualy just tough it out...or ask them to send me a new chip...(yes i sacred...VER VERY SCARD)

I'm the hawt sauce.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I know I'm a newbie here with this being my first post, but I have a question for "Aeolus".

You said in your first post that you partitioned your 160 gig H.D. to two partitions. Why did you make one a 100 and the other 56, considering the larger the partition the more wasted space there is.. sometimes to the tune of 40 to 45%.

I myself am running 160 gigs of H.D. and I've set mine up with (16) 10 gig partitions. For me it didn't make any sense to have 160 gigs of H.D. and then waste approx 64 gigs of it because I didn't partition my H.D. correctly.

Anyways.. my above comments were just a thought to you.

Dakota Duce
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Retired Staff

16x 10GB partitions would drive me insane. Doesn't seem practical. I have my 160GB drive w/ 2-71.7GB partitions, and 1-5.47GB partition . For a total of 148.87GB. THere is not way you should loose more than 15GB. And making 16-10GB partions you will loose almost the same as I have. I don't think the number/size of partitions make much of a difference as to how much you loose.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well i made a 100 gb to run windows and programs off of. The other 56 was for music, movies, d/ls and stuff like that, that i wanted separate for sake or organization.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in