Need some Major OS help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need some Major OS help

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 44)
I tried to install windows XP to my 160 GB HD this week, and so I booted up from the windows XP upgrade SP1 disc. I chose to install windows. It asked me to insert my old windows OS CD so it could verify that I was quilified for the upgrade. I inserted the windows 98 cd and then it moved on to which partition I wanted to install it to, delete partitions, or create a new partition. I chose to delete my old partitions so that I could start fresh. Then I created the C drive 100Gb part. and a 56GB part. and all the free space was partitioned. Then i moved on to install windows XP onto the C. It told me to insert the Win XP disc so I did that and then I formated the C as NTFS and it installed setup to the disc. Then the computer rebooted like its said it was going to and then trouble began. It tried to boot from HDD 0 (the master HDD to which setup was installed) and then it said "A Disc read error occured. Press Alt+Ctrl+Del to restart. That's how far I have gotten. Also I am haveing a lot of trouble finding a Microsoft Support Telephone Number if any one has that I really need it. I'm hopeing you guys can help me out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 354 (Unique: 187)
Is this the only drive on your comp? And you stated that you installed it on C: not D: so that shouldn't be a problem. And you're sure the 160GB drive is master? I would download maxtor's diagnostic utility, put it on a floppy, boot to the floppy, and run the utility that checks the drive to see if it's working right. Sometimes a sector can get messed up but their utility will fix it, sometimes the drive just goes bad (not likely if it's less than 5 years old or so and hasn't been dropped). How many times did you try to install it?

Did you buy a retail version of XP? Otherwise, you won't get any customer support.

Fold for the cure & team 37726!!
H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey death I got an installation working on the 160GB HD, but what I had to was put my old HD back in a boot up windows from it. From there I installed a second copy of the OS onto the slave drive (the 160 had to be set back to slave). All the windows files are one the Y: 100gb part. Can I set this HDD to master and boot to this copy of windows? I noticed that you mentioned D: and C: partitions. Right now the system boot is the C: on my old hard drive. I want to have the Y: that has windows installed on it to be my C: and remove the old HDD completely. Please reply quickly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Retired Staff

I'm assuming you changed the 160GB HDD's jumper when trying to run it as the master. Just make sure you can boot to the 160GB drive's XP installation first. If you can, then get rid of the old drive, set the 160GB drive to master, and it SHOULD work. Let me know! Once you get an installation up and running on the 160GBer and get rid of your old drive. You can go to: Start | Run | type in: compmgmt.msc | go to Storage | Disk Management | then right click on the drive and go to Change Drive Letter. Then you can change the drive to C: .

H2O cooling: Chevette heatercore, 172mm 258CFM fan, Apogee GT, and Ehiem 1250. Load temp @ 1.45vcore 41C.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've tired to make the 160 the master and wasn't able to boot from it. Changed the jumper and IDE location. It gave me the "A disc read error occured. Press Alt..." again. So I put the old one back in and reset it to master and the 160 to slave. Right now im posting from the installation on the 160gb. It gives me an option of which istallation to boot from. Also I've been to Disk Management and it won't let me change the letter of the path and letter of my system and boot drives (C: and Y. I think that it won't boot from the 160 because it is labeled Y. I am wondering if maybe my bootini could be a cause; maybe if I took the first installation out then it would boot from the second like I want, but I don't have any experience with that Ive only heard about bootini. Are you sure that it should be able to boot even though it is Y:?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Retired Staff

Hmm, the boot.ini file may be causing a problem depending on how it's set up I suppose. Both drives have their own boot.ini. Taking out one drive, won't change the boot.ini file of the 160GB drive. And that boot.ini file knows that it is Y: . But I suppose there could be problems caused some where along the way. So on your jumper, are you running cable select, master (single drive), or master w/ slave present? Try the following.

Boot to your XP CD w/ only the 160GB drive installed. Choose to repair an installation (press R), then the repair console will come up. Log in if you have to. Then type "bootcfg /rebuild." It should either detect your new installation, or have you go through and choose some options. It should be obvious enough as to which choice you should choose. Then you will reboot, and HOPEFULLY everything will work. You might just want to jump to this option first, if you feel the erge to do so.

Or before trying the above mentioned method, you could try the following... but I dunno how good the chances of success are. Whichever method you want to try, go for it. I'll try and think of what else could be causing the trouble.

In your 160GB drive's XP install, maybe try renaming your C: drive to D:. Then rename your Y: to C: . Then reboot and see if you can boot to the 160GB drive. I'm assuming the reason it wouldn't let you change drive letters before was either you were trying to rename it C: when there was already a C:, or you weren't logged in as the administrator.

If it still doesn't work: W/ the 160GB drive as master, try changing the boot order in your BIOS to HDD-0, then HDD-1, then HDD-2, just to make sure it's not missing anything.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ok I'm gonna try the repair installation. I can't change the C: to D: nor the Y: to C:.Also I must be logged in as admistrator because I am the only user. Do you think I could change this from the 13gb installation? I'm going to give that a try if repair doesn't work but, I hope that the repair bootcgf works.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Retired Staff

If there is a CD-ROM drive already named D:, then you will have to rename that drive w/ a letter that is not already taken. You cannot rename something w/ a letter that is already taken.

Quote:
Do you think I could change this from the 13gb installation?
Are you reffering to there only being one user? Yeah, just go to control panel, then "User Accounts." If that's what you're asking about.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hey alright I've called windows and me and the support guy ran CHKDSK and it came back with some errors, but it didn't say what. Then we tried a complete reformat of the drive and it still doesn't work by itself only in conjunction with the 13Gb. The installation on the 160GB is now C: (i don't know exactly how that came to be) but that doesn't help it to boot up; same error. So me and the Microsoft tech guy came up with that its a hardware problem and I'm thinking this is true. So I went to maxtor.com and d/l Power Max V. 4.06 which is their hard drive diagnostic utility. I booted to that and ran the full test and it came back with NO ERRORS!! Boy am I mad I can't find out the problem. Now something else weird. I was tired of reseting jumpers everytime I wanted to use the 13 GB, so I thought "lets put it to cable select so all I have to do is change the IDE cable position." I put both jumpers to CS and when I turned the system on, the BIOS comes back with this "Primary Slave disk failure" Well Maxtor support is open 6-6 Mountain Time Monday-Friday. Guess who I am calling tommorow to use my warranty...

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Retired Staff

Everytime it has messed up, has it been connected to the same plug on the cable? Might be a bad cable, ya never know.

Hey, where do you live?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in